Thoughts on Courage

by: norrisbh
Fear and Courage

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

In life, many of us come to a fork in the road. A place or decision that can shape the rest of your life. A decision that if chosen correctly can change you. For me it was a seemingly insignificant period in my life, at the time, which I was unaware of what the impact it would have on me later in life. It would have the impact of making me a real believer in courage.

It was a seemingly regular day in the summer of 2nd grade. Me and several friends decided to go to the local waterpark. So we went to the water-park, and everyone was having a great time, when a member of our group noticed the high dive at the opposite end of the park.

Now, if there’s one thing I am TERRIFIED of, its heights.Anything to do with heights.Airplanes. Lighthouses even stepladders. Have been since birth. So naturally I objected. But, I was out shouted, and all of us moved to the other end of the park, with me reluctantly in tow.

As High dives go, this was a big one,(or at least it looked like it). Everyone was jumping of, landing with a big splash several feet down. Everyone went. Except me.
But no one noticed. And we went back to the main pool. But the confrontation with my fear made me think. What did I have to lose? Not much, I told myself. So. despite my better judgement, I went over to the high dive. Then I jumped, and with a great splash I hit the water, and came up sputtering for air, relieved and triumphant.

After confronting my fear of heights on the high dive, I didn't feel better. But what it did give me was the ability to confront my fear again and again. And isn't that what courage is supposed to be? The ability to do something that frightens you? Websters Dictionary apparently thinks so. And so do I. This I believe.

Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

Submitted by angelicarodriguez on Tue, 2015-03-31 00:28.

Your story made me think back to the time I also had to face my fears. I too, am afraid (more like terrified) of heights, but I stepped out of my comfort zone and faced my fears. I like that you did the same and just went for it because you knew you had nothing to lose. It's a fun experience that you could have missed out on if you second guessed yourself.
Life is like that, you have to face your fears in order to succeed or learn something new about yourself that you never knew till stepping out of your comfort zone. I say, you do that every day. Do something that you are scared to do, even if that means doing something out of the norm. Step out of your comfort zone or from the crowd. It's better to be different from others than be exact the same as everyone else. So as I said before, do something everyday that makes you step out of your comfort zone and you will be amazed how fun life can really be if you just step out of your comfort zone every once in a while or every day.

reply to Thoughts on Courage

Submitted by chanheejoy on Tue, 2015-03-31 00:34.

I agree with you on that everyone, at one point in their lifetime, have to make an important decision that could change rest of their lives. What you decided to do, to jump over the high dive, showed real courage. How did you overcome your fear? Also, after you succeed, why didn't you feel proud of yourself?
I strongly agree with you on that courage is about ability to confront our fears again and again, and I think to have that ability is what's most important. I also liked how you used "Websters Dictionary apparently thinks so," and how you believe it too because I thought this was a clever way to end your thoughts on courage. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story! Nice Work! :)

I love this topic and the

Submitted by Sarah Kranz on Tue, 2015-03-31 14:15.

I love this topic and the idea of "courage." I have always been a very shy and quiet person. I have always been especially afraid of public speaking and find myself having to do it more and more often especially in high school. My heart would always beat so fast and my palms would begin to sweat. Reaching the end of my senior year, however, I have realized that it is no big deal and the other people around me are just as nervous. I want to go into journalism in college, so I have realized that public speaking could be a major part of my career, so I always keep that in mind. I am so glad that you had the courage do to something that frightened you!

I Love this Disscussion

18elemaryy's picture
Submitted by 18elemaryy on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:38.

Dear norrisbh:

I am impressed with your post, "Thoughts on Courage," because not many have the courage to admit that courage itself cannot overcome fears. It is honestly so cliched to believe that bravery can simply eradicate one of their phobias. There will always be something we fear for the rest of our existence.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "But what it did give me was the ability to confront my fear again and again." I believe that this is the truth about courage because it gives us the confidence that we will be able to complete the activity once more, despite the presence of the underlying fear. The fear still may be present, but it will not be as prominent as it was before.

Another sentence that I admired was: "After confronting my fear of heights on the high dive, I didn't feel better. " This stood out for me because there is no instant gratification of "conquering" your fears.

I do agree with you that courage alone is not substantial to overcome a fear. One reason I say this is that from personal experience, fears all have different lifespans. Some last your entire life and others last until you confront it. Another reason I agree with you is because courage should be an essential to surviving a frightful experience.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you do not only discuss in general terms for you also speak from prior experiences. You give the reader an idea of what the outcome of a certain situation may be.

Great Post!

Submitted by 18basantanit on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:47.

I enjoyed reading your quick post on facing your fears. At first, it seemed like a normal story about someone conquering their fears and then not being afraid anymore, but I liked your different ending. My biggest fear is probably bugs. I don't just hate them, I despise them. Any kind of bug I see I just have to get as far away from it as possible. Whether it's an insect or an arachnid, I can't stand them. (All bugs except for flies, though. They're harmless.) I went to a wedding in India once, and there are bugs everywhere over there. I had to sit on a chair in the middle of an audience with crickets and mosquitoes all around me. It was pretty terrifying, but eventually I got through the night. My situation is similar to yours actually. I'm still scared of bugs, I never got over my fear. But by facing my fear over and over again, I am just a tiny bit braver each time, which is what courage really lets us do. Thanks for writing, I hope you post something soon!(:

Overcoming Fears

18svirinavichyusn's picture
Submitted by 18svirinavichyusn on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:52.

I understand the feeling of doing something you are scared of. You have a rush of adrenaline and all it feels as if you aren't in a movie, that life isn't real. Its a pretty amazing feeling. Courage is a very interesting topic because courage is not the same for everyone, some people aren't as courageous because they have been hurt by their fears. I don't know how important it is to confront you fears, I think it is something you should do for yourself and no one should push you to do it. And thats when you are able to conquer it and all of a sudden it becomes something that you love to do (I was also afraid of heights for some time and now I love climbing). Overall, its quite interesting how we are able to over come something that has always made us shake in fear.

My Thoughts

18mazumderr's picture
Submitted by 18mazumderr on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:53.

Hello,
I believe that your argument made a lot of sense and that one should always try to face their fears. Truthfully, i myself wished that I at a younger age, attempted to face my own fears. I am also very afraid of heights and believe that if i in elementary school faced my fear I would have overcome it now. Instead now in high school, my fear has grown even stronger and compared to other things like schoolwork, it just seems like I will have this fear forever.
Relating to my own experiences, my class recently went on a field trip to an adventure park and my fear of height caused me to stop myself from pertaining in any of the height related activities, which proved to be very high up and scary to me. I would just like everyone to know that you should try to face your fears as early as possible because then you will have a better chance of getting rid of it.

This is an awesome story and

Submitted by Gabi Dodson on Wed, 2015-04-01 16:19.

This is an awesome story and I enjoyed reading it! For future purposes, it would be interesting if you defined courage directly from the dictionary! It would add an interesting contrast to your own personal definition of courage! Great work!

Experiences

18hammads's picture
Submitted by 18hammads on Wed, 2015-04-01 21:26.

Dear Ben:
I am impressed by your post, "Thoughts on Courage," because of the experience you’ve had and how life changing it really can be.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "After confronting my fear of heights on the high dive, I didn't feel better. But what it did give me was the ability to confront my fear again and again." I think this is great because not everything turns out 100% okay but what you got out of your experience
I do agree with you that the ability to confront your fear is important. One reason I say this is I have a few fears that I'd like to confront and hope that when I do, I at least gain the courage to do something again. Another reason I agree with you is it is important for children to realize not everything comes right away at first but many bad experiences can be turned into good ones.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you seem very optimistic, even when you were a second grader!
Sara

I really enjoyed reading

Submitted by 18espinosaa on Wed, 2015-04-01 21:35.

I really enjoyed reading about how you confronted your fear of heights. I also am a believer of courage and reading your experience reminded me of a similar time in my life. I remember when I was about 6 years old and I used to be terrified of scary movies. Of course most children at this age ate afraid of scary movies but I couldn't sleep at all our move from my bed after watching a scary movie. Eventually, I got iver this fear and actually began yo enjoy scary movies when my dad would purposely put on scary movies to scare my siblings and I. Suprisingly, I hour interested in the sfx used in these movies and actually began to criticize it based on the how realistic it looked. Anyways, I just found your point of view to be very interesting.

Fear and Courage

18rahmani's picture
Submitted by 18rahmani on Wed, 2015-04-01 23:42.

I believe it was not only your argument that intrigued me but it was the story that was included. I feel as your story is good because many others in todays world face the same fear as you did. One point that surprised me was when you did after you jumped you did not feel much better but it gave you the courage to keep trying. This is really interesting because even if I face my fear and do not feel good , it will give me the courage to try again the next time. I hope to see more discussions like this next time because it was very interesting

Comment on "Thoughts on Courage"

Submitted by Sam Swillinger on Sun, 2015-04-12 21:58.

Ben,

This post is awesome! One of the reasons I like it so much is because courage has also been an important aspect of my life. My definition has always been "courage is having the strength to move on." It looks to me that our definitions are really similar, and I think it's pretty interesting how important it is to have courage. I've always wondered what martyrs define courage as? What do people like Martin Luther King, and Ghandi define courage as? Keep up the cool posts!

I agree

Submitted by acorbato on Mon, 2015-04-13 00:26.

I would tend to agree with your definition of courage. Difficult decisions never become fun, but we become more able to face choices. Currently, I am deciding where to go to college. This has been a very stressful time in my life. However, I feel that this process will not make future difficult decisions easier, but it will give confidence knowing that I have the ability to make tough decisions. Hope to hear more of your opinions.

I Can Relate

Submitted by MarisaM. on Mon, 2015-04-13 00:35.

Your story made me think back to a time when I had to face my own fears like you I am also terrified of heights, but I am also a skier. In fourth grade I had to ski Great Western, a difficult part of the mountain. I was terrified, I had to inch my way down the mountain despite my terror. I was better for facing my fear. You have a great story.

I love this topic because I

Submitted by olivia.jacobs on Tue, 2015-04-14 14:49.

I love this topic because I think it is really important that everyone can find courage at some point in their life and be able to overcome a fear that has always made them tremble. For me, I have always been afraid of having to give presentations in front of my class, especially my spanish class. Over the course of this year, my teacher has been giving more and more presentations, probably about once a week now. At the beginning of the year I was terrified to stand up in front of the class and give a presentation in a whole other language. But as the weeks went by, I seemed to gain more courage and don't get as nervous anymore! It is really refreshing when you gain enough courage to overcome your fear. I think this is a great topic and I am excited to hear ore of what you have to say!

I completely agree with you

Submitted by mikekearns on Thu, 2015-04-16 14:59.

I completely agree with you Benjamin. This was a great post and a great anecdote you used to show your belief in courage. I have the same fear of heights and I don't think I would have ever gone off the high dive in the second grade. I guess it always takes some courage to be able to face our fears and I know that it is also a good feeling once we actually do.

I agree with you at the last

Submitted by lmendoza on Fri, 2016-06-03 10:11.

I agree with you at the last paragraph because when I do something that I am scared of doing, I always want to do that thing over and over again. I wonder if other people have done the same thing.

I think that your thoughts on

Submitted by adelgado on Fri, 2016-06-03 11:31.

I think that your thoughts on courage is how i feel about courage, because when people are scared of doing something they want to do they don't do it. I think that the only way you can over come courage is facing what your most scared of, so you can know how that feeling feels instead of thinking how it feels do it.