Tim Tebow: Just a Quarterback, or Something More?

When I asked myself the question “who is a good example of an admirable famous person?” my mind immediately went to Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. And then i had to ask myself: why? What is it about this man that pegs him as superior? It could be his open Christianity, or his work with charity. But I have to know--what makes him the good person he is perceived to be?

Timothy Richard Tebow currently plays in the National Football League (NFL) and is the starting quarterback of the Denver Broncos. He previously played for the University of Florida, and in 2007 won the Heisman trophy. Tebow has earned much criticism and also praise for his skills on the field and his religious faith. It is arguable that Tebow is the core reason for the Bronco's success in the 2011/2012 season.

A couple weeks ago, before the last playoff game between the Denver Broncos and the New England Patriots, Tebow payed a visit to a 16 year old Thompson Valley student named Bailey Knaub who was diagnosed with Wegener's granulomatosis, which is a rare vascular disorder at a very young age. Over the past 10 years she has undergone 73 surgeries, and her one wish was to meet her idol: Tim Tebow. Tim gave payed her a visit, and invited her and her family to spend the day with him and watch the Steelers playoff game.

"It is special to have the platform of playing football, because I have the opportunity to affect people," Tebow said in front of the media. "I was very excited to have Bailey Knaub at this game, and this is a girl. ... Football is amazing, we love it, we're so passionate about it as you could see right there. But the real win, at least I would say today, is being able to comfort a girl who has gone through 73 surgeries before the game and get a chance to go hang out with her now. That's the biggest win of the day. They're both exciting, but that's what I'm even more proud of."

Obviously, Tim Tebow is a faithful man and Christian, someone we can all look up to. Why? Because he helps people in need, and does things because his heart tells him to, not just because he wants his face to be known. Tim shows a great amount compassion in everything he does.

References:

Brohard, Mike. "Loveland's Bailey Knaub gets the surprise of her life with Tim Tebow visit - Loveland Reporter-Herald." Loveland, CO News and Information - Loveland Reporter-Herald - Loveland Reporter-Herald. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2012.