'Tis the Season for Stress

by: Darnell

As the holidays come around every year everyone goes just about completely crazy. If you just watched the T.V. and payed attention only to the media, you would think that the holidays was a lazy kick back time. However back in reality this never seems to be the case.

"About two weeks into the season, I feel like I'm ready to capsize," says Lynne Neary, Chicago mother of two. "This year I'm determined to get through the holidays with a minimum amount of stress."

Holiday Stress Survival Tips

There never seems to be enough time, finding the right presents always seems like the hardest thing in the world, and once everything is done, all the shopping is taken care of many people find that their just too tired to even attempt trying to celebrate. The Christmas holiday while craftily covered by happiness, is by far one of the most stressful times of the year.

According to the American Institute of Stress, more than 110 million Americans take medication for stress related causes each week. When the holidays come along, people already predisposed to stress can find themselves feeling blue and more stressed out than usual.

Holiday Stress Survival Tips

So what do you do this holiday to make sure that you don't feel the crunch of stress that the Christmas holiday often brings. The most obvious answers is to stay calm and relaxed even when every bone in you body is telling you otherwise. Some other tips include getting your stress out by exercising as much as possible, eat nutritional food, meditating, problem solve with friends, take things one day at a time, and get plenty of rest.

Start by considering your attitude. There's no magic bullet, but your attitude can make a difference. Ask yourself: Is your situation a small, medium or large problem? How upset do you want to get over it, and for how long? Look at the possibilities around you, not the restrictions.

Holiday Stress Survival Tips

The most important part of fighting the holiday's stressfulness however is to remember that its a holiday and holidays are suppose to be fun. Looking at the holiday as something that is good can only help to remove the stress that may be eating you up inside. The holidays are about getting together with family and friends and celebrating, and the main thing about them is remembering to have fun. If you can remember the fun part along with the stress party your bound to get out of the holidays alive, and you might even enjoy them.