The Tragedy of Trayvon Martin

I'm sure many people have seen the recent tragedy on the news about Trayvon Martin's death. If not, he was an African American teenager who was recently gunned down in a gated community where he was visiting a parent. His killer was George Zimmerman, a white man, and it seems that there was no real reason behind his motive for shooting besides the fact that Martin was black. So is racism still a part of modern society?

My answer to the question above is yes. Now some may say no, but there is no denying that this story doesn't prove that racism is still an issue even today. There has been enormous improvement over the years, though. But John McWhorter brings up a good point. "The fashionable line is that the Sanford cops went easy on Zimmerman because Trayvon was black. Certainly, we are told, if Zimmerman were black and had killed a white kid, he would have been hauled off to jail, no questions asked." I wonder this myself. What if the races were reversed? Would Zimmerman not be at his own home right now and instead in jail cell?

This whole situation has left me distraught and I am mad at the fact that Zimmerman isn't even in jail right now. It makes me wonder about our country and how it is run. How can a man who shot a boy not be in jail? Although the situation is terrible, all we can do now is pray for Martin and his family.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/imagining-a-white-trayvon-martin-a-bl...

Equal not Special

Submitted by E.R.Burden on Wed, 2012-04-04 13:06.

I like what you wrote about racism, however I have to point out that some, not all, people of color pull the race card and that's not right. Yes, we should treat everyone equal, not special. I will treat a black person like I would my friends. That being said, I think that everyone is overreacting to the situation. This happens everyday. Black people shooting whites and visa versa. I don't know if Zimmerman should be arrested since he did what was considered lawful. I don't agree with the law nor do I think that he should be walking right now, but the law is the law. We have to respect the law. I don't agree with the quote, "if Zimmerman were black and had killed a white kid, he would have been hauled off to jail, no questions asked." only because it wasn't a color issue, it's a law issue. I could be wrong.

I agree with you in the case

Submitted by zebc.g1 on Mon, 2012-04-16 11:25.

I agree with you in the case the Zimmerman is guilty for the crime he committed. He killed Trayvon Martin in cold blood. But what made Zimmerman think the way he did. We all know that it was based out of racism towards African Americans. But in the modern society that we live in there should not be any racism, people should all be equal, and we should not look down on anyone because of anything they do or did. I agree that Zimmerman should rot away in prison like every other person that has morals.