Transcendence of a Refugee

by: mira16
Syrian Refugees

It is natural to take precautionary action when devastating events occur, for example, the Paris bombings. However, with the recent increase in violence and the foreign tensions between Western and Eastern society, the United States has become a bit paranoid. Immigration is vital in a country’s success and can determine the fate of it, so it must get great attention and the process must be taken care of in order for a country to be in harmony. Recently, the United States proposed ideas and enforced some rules on immigration that seem irrational and out of hand. With a new proposal, new techniques can be applied to fix the issues of immigration. The United States government must allow Syrian refugees to immigrate to the U.S. because they will progress American principles, society, and economy.

The United States must allows Syrian refugees to immigrate to the U.S. because they will thrive in the U.S. by boosting the future of the nation and economy. Built on the core values of freedom, equal opportunity, and pursuit of happiness, the United States is the internationally-known place of hope. Being known as the melting pot where the American dream can come true, the United States gives opportunities to its residents that makes it unique to the world. Ever since the birth of the United States, it has advanced and progressed at a high rate due to immigrants continuously thriving generation after generation. Syrian refugees are not just ordinary people, they are grateful hard workers who take advantage over opportunities they get. Studies of humanitarian migrants at the Australian Bureau of Statistics displayed promising results. “Were more likely to start businesses than other kinds of migrants. The entrepreneurial spirit of people who have been through a forced flight is almost mythic. Immigrants or their children founded 40 percent of America's Fortune 500 companies” (Macbride).

Since the refugees come from a third-world environment, they are the exact opposite of spoiled and have the attitude of an innovator, all the need are the resources and environment like America. No matter how many generations a citizen’s family has lived in the U.S., the backbone of the America is its immigrants striving for success. If the United States allows Syrian refugees to immigrate to the U.S. the population will be rich in bright-minded people who have a desire to learn. In result, the U.S. will have more educated people creating a positive impact and smarter atmosphere. When The U.S. allows Syrian refugees to immigrate to America it will boost the economy by increasing job competitiveness and having more people available for essential and demanding jobs. As written on the Statue of liberty, give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the United States must give the Syrian immigrants an opportunity to thrive in the U.S. while the country benefits from their work ethic to form a mutual bond.

After 9/11 occurred there was a heightened awareness for terror attacks on the U.S. except, almost a decade and a half later, the need for that awareness is unnecessary. Therefore, the United States Government should allow the immigration of Syrian refugees to the U.S. because the chances of a threat of a terrorist in the refugee system is essentially none. “In the 14 years since September 11, 2001, the United States has resettled 784,000 refugees from around the world... And within that population, three people have been arrested for activities related to terrorism” (Berman).

The Migration Policy Institute’s data shows how minute the percentage is that is related to terrorism out of the refugee system. Experienced veterans of refugee work, such as Lavinia Limón, state how the amount of significant crimes coming out of the refugee system is not really an issue. The so called significant increased risk that Syrian refugees bring with themselves when they enter the U.S. is nonsensical. Thus, by not allowing Syrian refugees to immigrate to America is absurd because it is a pointless restriction. The reason why terrorists sneaked through the refugee system in France is because the system is different compared to America. All terrorists mainly have to do is go on a boat through some islands, then on a bridge, and get signed up for a refugee program. The case is different for the U.S. because it can take years for refugees to immigrate to the U.S. and it’s a more complex process that does not allow mishaps to occur so easily.

Some, such as Ted Cruz and Jeb Bush, say that only Syrian refugees who are Christian should be allowed to the U.S.; however, that proposal is unhelpful and un American because the United States shows compassion for all religious beliefs. When the founding fathers were around they made an amendment that stated the right to select any religious faith. Obama states what it means to be American in a religious regard. “It is good to remember that the United States does not have a religious test and we are a nation of many peoples of different faiths, which means that we show compassion to everybody. Those are the universal values we stand for” ( Obama qtd. in Garver). When selecting a religion, the religions should have equal benefits in society. If they do not, then freedom is a mere illusion because people are forced to join a religion they do not want to be a part of, but have to in order to survive. If Syrians refugees had to be Christian to immigrate to the U.S., many would lie or quickly convert to Christianity and go against their will to get to the America. Also, it would cause tension and distress within the immigrants which can lead to drastic issues such as, cultural unease, nativism, and racism.

In order to fix this problem the government would initially need to allow Syrian refugees to immigrate to America. Although, the process of immigration would be much more complex. The evaluation of Syrian refugees would be prejudice-free to all religions. The new system would usually take a year or several years before one would find out whether they could immigrate to the U.S. During the year(s), extensive background checks would be taking place which would release criminal history, terrorism suspicions, occupations, family members, etc.

It would include bio metric printing to identify one. In addition to the exchange of information between the two countries once one immigrated to America.they would be on watch possibly for a certain amount of time. The U.S. would have territories, classes for English, vocational assistance, and more assimilation programs for refugees. If anytime one is suspicious of terrorism-like actions or motivations, meetings along with interrogations will take place to determine that one’s future. The new refugee program allows the U.S. to be strict with valid purpose, but at the same time it gives the refugees a greater chance to thrive rather than being set up to fail.

Work Cited

Berman, Russell. "Can Terrorists Really Infiltrate the Syrian Refugee Program?." The Atlantic. Ed. Russell Berman. N.p., 18 Nov.
2015. Web. 21 Nov. 2015. https://via.hypothes.is/http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015...

Garver, Rob. "Christians Only? Debate Over Syrian Refugees Quickly Turns Toxic." The Fiscal Times. N.p., 16 Nov. 2015. Web.
22 Nov. 2015. https://via.hypothes.is/http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/11/16/Christi....

MacBride, Elizabeth. "Why the US should welcome Syrian refugees." CNBC. NBC, 28 Sept. 2015. Web. 22 Nov. 2015. https://via.hypothes.is/http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/28/why-the-us-should....

Dear Arsh Bss, I am both

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2015-11-24 10:57.

Dear Arsh Bss, I am both amazed and kind of encourange by your believe and thoughts on syrian immigrate to the U.S because you actually included facts and spoked on both sides of the story. You obviously support syrian refuguees has most of us should just based on humanity. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me Built on the core values of freedom, equal opportunity, and pursuit of happiness, the United States is the internationally-known place of hope. Showing us that everyone is human no matter the race

great work. Deep

Submitted by bynumj16 on Tue, 2015-12-01 08:08.

great work. Deep thinking,seems like you are very into this topic and very concerned about it. I agree that refugees are fully capable of thriving in american society. Good evidence and claims throughout the writing.

Arsh you did a splendid job.

Maheir's picture
Submitted by Maheir on Tue, 2015-12-01 11:15.

Arsh you did a splendid job. You gave good reasons and facts about why the US should allow refuges. I also agree with you. The US shouldn't ban refugees or just accept christians, that would cause ISIS to expand because many children man and women would accept that theirs no way out of it and be forced to join ISIS. The US cannot just accept christians because that would be raciest. Syrians could be a benefit to our society and it would be a huge benefit for them as well because they could be saved by the mayhem.

Arsh you did a splendid job.

Maheir's picture

Refugees and the American Dream

Submitted by Amy_Cremer on Mon, 2015-12-14 15:12.

I wholeheartedly agree with your stand on immigration and not shutting out refugees. People in the U.S. have forgotten what it's like to be the under dog since we've had it so good for so long, and don't always reach out to help the refugees like we used to. You wrote with a lot of spirit, and I admire that, not many people have much passion for what they believe in anymore.