A True Passion

by: sarahhunt

The Gale database was not very useful in researching my topic. There were many articles about individual races, people, places, etc. But that is not what I am looking for. I want to learn about skiing as a whole. The history and the evolution.

Certain personal accounts could be helpful in doing just that, but the ones on gale did not look promising. What I did learn from gale was that no matter how much I love skiing, not everyone does.

Thinking about it there are many aspects of skiing that could be deemed “unfun,” its cold, its can be scary, its tiring, its dangerous, etc. There has to be a passion for it and it takes a certain kind of person to truly enjoy it. It also has to do with how much your family does it. since I was two skiing has been a big deal to my family.

From an early age I knew that my weekends would not be spent doing anything but skiing. My Dad was also a driving force in me liking the sport. He made up traditions that I loved! Before we got up to the resort we would stop at 711 and I could buy whatever candy I wanted for the day and a magazine with the perfume in it to smell, then every chairlift ride my Dad would give me some of the candy as a reward for getting down the hill.

For me this was fun, but I can understand why people would not like the sport.

Some articles to consider in the Youth Voices Crocodoc folder

paulallison's picture
Submitted by paulallison on Sun, 2014-02-16 13:49.

I just put six articles in a "Skiing" folder in our Youth Voices Crocodoc folder http://personal.crocodoc.com/pIrWumL I hope something here helps.

gale

Submitted by Allegra on Mon, 2014-02-24 12:52.

I had trouble with my gale research as well! It had a lot of generalized topics but no specifics that I needed for my area of research as well. I feel like the evolution of skiing is a hard thing to research, so props to you on that! I know skiing is a big thing right now with a lot of people at Judge so it will something people will be interested in. Cute story of your family as well! :)