The True Story of Hansel and Gretel

by: 15KerinsE

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel

By Louise Murphy

Mock Interview

Questions for Hansel and Gretel’s father:

1. How did you feel when your [second] wife made you life your kids behind while being followed by Nazis?

I was devastated. I love my children with all my heart, and I didn’t want to leave them alone. I didn’t see why we couldn’t just stick together…

2. Did you have any resent of being with her at this time, now that she did this?

I didn’t resent marrying her. I do love her, but I couldn’t believe she had done that. I know the kids weren’t hers, and sometimes it seemed as if she didn’t like them, but I just couldn’t believe she did that to my children and me…

3. Did you think it was for the better, or the worse?

At the time, I guess for the better… I didn’t even get to think it through. It’s like my children were ripped out from my arms and I didn’t even have the choice of whether or not it was happen. I thought they would be safe, but later on I understood that they weren’t.

Questions for Gretel:

4. How did you feel when your step mother forced your father to leave you in the forest?

I was so surprised, caught off guard even. I know she didn’t really like Hansel and I, most likely because we weren’t her own, but I didn’t expect her to leabe us like that.

5. Did you think it was for the better, or for the worse? Were you thankful?

I thought it was for the worse, because I would hate having to spend every day of my life not knowing how my father was, or if he survived or not.

6. Were you mad at your father for agreeing to it? Or were you mad at only your step mother?

I’m not mad at my father, at all. Even before he was able to decide, our step mother had made us leave. He tried fighting for us, but it couldn’t of been easy, since he loved us all.

Questions for Hansel and Gretel’s stepmother:

7. Why did you make your husband leave the children?

Mostly because they were slowing us down, and I didn’t want to die.

8. Did you think it would help all of you, or just you?

I’m not sure, I didn’t think about it. I just knew that it would definitely help me, so I did it.

9. Were you trying to help the children, or were you just trying to save yourself?

I was trying to save myself. I didn’t really think of the children to be honest with you.

Question for the Nazis:

10. Were you chasing them because they did something wrong, or just because they were Jewish?

Our general told us that day to go out and make sure everything was okay, so we did. Just then we saw a man and a woman with two children, on a motorcycle, carrying bags. They were obviously Jewish, and we were able to tell they were running. So we went after them. But then, miles later, the kids were gone, and not long after, no one was in sight…