The Truth Behind your Neighborhood

by: wadseq

I have always been interested of how many people cross the Canadian and Mexican borders. The topic first came to my head, when an uprising in Arizona occurred on May 29, 2010. I know that it is illegal to cross onto any American territory without the consent of the American government. Other people start to become racist against immigrants because they don’t understand their cultures. They feel immigrants take away health benefits from Americans that need it.

There are some things I know about Immigration. I know that Immigration brings people from other cultures to help us understand trade. Immigrants help pave the roads to better relations. Immigration results in an open global market. It gives a global perspective to the social and economic growth of society. With new opportunities in career and education, comes economic growth. This is what I know, I’m not sure if many people agree with it.

I’ve taken the time to research the topic of immigration, and I’ve come across a quote by Congressman Steve King. Steve King says, “Our hospital emergency rooms would be flooded with everything from gunshot wounds, to anchor babies, to imported diseases, to hangnails, giving American citizens the day off from standing in line behind illegal’s.” I completely disagree with this quote. The Public Health Association of New York City is an active organization of public health professionals who improve public health. “Imported diseases” are impossible in the United States. With the PHANYC around, no foreign diseases will ever conquer the United States. This article sort of answered my question, but in a negative way. The article only listed the negatives of immigration which is very biased.

On April 23rd 2010 Jan Brewer of Arizona signed the nation's toughest bill on illegal immigration. Its aim is to identify, prosecute and deport illegal immigrants. As a result of this bill being passed, it unleashed immediate protests and reignited the divisive battle over immigration reform nationally. One of these uprisings occurred in Arizona where many civilians were upset.

Many people judge immigrants. Of course it’s wrong to judge anyone before you fully know them. According to the statistics from 2000-2004, over seven hundred thousand (700,000) immigrants came to the United States illegally. Now this doesn’t or shouldn’t sound bad considering the fact that U.S. employers have a ready supply of cheap labor. Since illegal immigrants come the “new world” as they call it to better themselves, they typically don’t mind working for less money. Employers don’t have to hire employees whom they must pay at a regular rate.

With such a hot topic on my hands, I decided to dig a little deeper. I came across an article that may or may not be true about immigration. It states: “ U.S. federal law requires all aliens over the age of 14 who remain in the United States for longer than 30 days to register with the U.S. government, and to have registration documents in their possession at all times.” This to me, seems a little communist. Americans “controlling” the immigrants. Yes, Americans needs to know how many immigrants reside in their beloved country, but there’s no need for immigrants to carry required documents everywhere. I believe a photo identification card would do just fine.

After digging deeper and deeper into the topic of immigration, my heart fluttered when I read another article on the situation. On January 29th, 2009, The Legal Immigration posted, that “Historically speaking, amnesty on illegal aliens started back in 1986 when Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) was enacted for the purpose of reducing the rate of illegal immigration in the country.” I was thrilled when I read this. If something like this can happen in 1986, all American’s can bond together and push for this to happen again! Immigrants have just as many rights as citizens and no bill, law, or anything should change that.

We are a country founded on the many cultures that are drawn here by the promise of a better life. Historically, we have prided ourselves on being a cultural melting pot. Immigration is a difficult subject. It raises hard moral choices about whom should we let into the country and how long should we let them stay. In the modern world, regulating entry means deporting or otherwise excluding people whose only reason for wanting to be here is to earn an honest living.

Works Cited:

King, Steve. "The Dark Side Of Illegal Immigration." The Dark Side Of Illegal Immigration: Facts, Figures and Data Show A Disturbing Truth. 5th Congressional District of Iowa, 1 May 2006. Web. 5 Apr. 2012. http://www.usillegalaliens.com/the_dark_side_of_illegal_immigration.html

Immigration, Legal. "Immigration Amnesty." Legal Immigration Facts. Legal Immigration, 29 Jan. 2009. Web. 5 Apr. 2012. http://legalimmigrationfacts.com/

Wikipedia, ed. "Arizona SB 1070." Http://en.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia, 23 Apr. 2011. Web. 5 Apr. 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_SB_1070

Eowyn, Dr. "Most Americans Against ILLEGAL Immigration."Http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com. Dr. Eowyn, 30 May 2010. Web. 5 Apr. 2012. http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2010/05/30/new-cnn-poll-most-amer...

N/A. "Immigration Charts." Latin American Studies. N/A, 10 Jan. 2000. Web. 14 Apr. 2012.