Twinkle's Story

by: 16leei

I created the Scratch animation Twinkle’s Story as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which the viewer or character in thew story has to make a decision between two or more choices with consequences.

My story is about a young Penguin named Twinkle who wakes up one morning yearning to go out and play on the icecaps. He proceeds to ask his mother if he can and she grudgingly agrees but makes him promise that he will run and hide if he sees a polar bear, a penguin’s enemy. After Twinkle has played he starts to go home but a polar bear bars his way. The polar bear looks extremely nice and Twinkle really wants to pet his fur but his mother told him not to. Twinkle must decide if he should go and meet the polar bear or run home. If he runs home he is same and unharmed but if he goes to meet the polar bear he is eaten and learns the lesson tha you should never trust your enemies.

My story was inspired by a video that we watched in Lab class this year which taught us all about the food chains and webs in the Arctic and Antarctic. I wanted to base the characters of my animation on the animals I saw in the video to make the predator and prey cycles more accurate.

I think I was successful in creating my story because my story was three minutes long, even a little bit over. My story was also player-0interactive because the player needed to enter a choice for Twinkle to be able to make up his mind and decide whether he should go and meet the polar bear or he should listen to his mother and run home and hide, which also included the ethical decision in my production. i did indeed use creative common image s for some of my background sin the production but I gave credit to their authors in the project notes and there was no content in the story which was unsuitable for children under the ages of 13.

I enjoyed your story line of

16blanksonk's picture
Submitted by 16blanksonk on Wed, 2012-01-04 14:52.

I enjoyed your story line of the story and all of your characters.
I noticed that you did not put any sound of the character voices, it would have put more character into the story.
The ethical dilemma in your story was quite interesting and something similar could happen in the wild. It could also happen with humans, when one person wants to go see what a weird person is doing and gets kidnapped. It tells people to listen to their parents.

I really liked the music that

16roseroa's picture
Submitted by 16roseroa on Thu, 2012-01-05 18:43.

I really liked the music that was put into the animation. I also really liked the characters. They seemed very unique. I also like the creativity you put in ceating the characters. I didn't really notice anything wrong about it. It was very good! The choices were tempting. The way Twinkle made the polar bear seem is really believable. It was great!

I really liked your animation

16jahani's picture
Submitted by 16jahani on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:07.

I really liked your animation because it seemed well thought out and the story was nice too. The decision that the player was able to make told us that you should always listen to your parents, because they probably know what is best. I enjoyed playing your game.

I really liked your

16xhuvelie's picture
Submitted by 16xhuvelie on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:29.

I really liked your animation. I could tell that you put a lot of effort into it. It was very well timed, no characters were talking over one another or anything like that. I loved the art work for the two penguins. And I thought that the story was engaging. The only thing I would change to make it better was to maybe move Twinkle's mom over just a bit in the beginning because she seems to be covering his eye. But besides that I really enjoyed the story. I think your character's ethical dilemma was to either do what his mother told him and stay away from the polar bear, or to ignore his mothers warning and go talk to the polar bear. The wrong choice which was to ignore Twinkle's mother was very tempting and I actually originally chose that one because I wanted to see what the polar bear was like...he wasn't a nice fellow. But then I went back and restarted the story and made the right decision.

I think your story is great.

Submitted by 17roshidm on Wed, 2012-04-25 18:23.

I think your story is great. I like how it connects to a real life situation with the mother part, if your a penguin then the polar bear part. Your story gives me ideas on what to do for my project.