The Two Internets

by: monotone4

The internet since it's birth in the early 1960's and 1970's as a teaching database has expanded over the past fifty years to a become today a source of entertainment,personal opinion,social interactions,and tamely a major part of the modern world we live in today. Over the past few years with the creation of online media sites like You Tube,Hulu,and The social networking sites of Facebook and Myspace entrainment whether it be a film,game,or that favorite television show that you watch ever y week has shifted into a digital and easily assessable interment version.Today with the exposition of internet media , instead of someone having to turn to a channel at certain time and deal with five minutes of commercials between every break they can instead go online to view their shows with few ever commercials.This more assessable and less interrupted internet option over the past decade has become a popular form that many customers are willing to switch to,however despite the covalence of viewing for the consumer there is cost to this practice.Many media companies ranging from big monopoly organization to small entrainment companies are feeling the negative blows of the anytime and free internet method; not profiting from the ratings they would receive from television viewers.The basic problem of companies in entrainment not getting money from their products has led companies to tasks various routes to take back their customers.

Some in the internment industry have tried to adapt to this new trend towards internet media by trying to work with sites such as Hulu, a site that shows free episode from multiple networks one site,to create ways to get profit for their creations.The main answer to this question of how to get a free website to pay entrainment companies is similar to the methods used in the Film and television industries,Advertising.Sites like Hulu to avoid action of stealing materials and gain legal profits subject their customers to the same amount or more commercials that one would find offline.However, their is a simple way to escape this commercial nightmare,paying a subscription from a premium, commercial status.

The internet now once a place of commercial limitations and free-showing of the programs has began to disappear,forcing many to go into the darker or less illegal internet. This a side of the internet is often sketchy with various popup add ons and viruses lurking at every corner.Still, despite this danger many still use this sites either due their opposition to the restrictive legal sites or are not able to find their more obscure shows not provided by sites like Hulu. This illegal internet allow seemingly underground is getting more and more popular as the internet is changing from a The Wild West medium to something more restrictive.

Now their is a division between the legal and illegal internet, both popular and both battling the control or this new virtual territory.In line with the entailment industry, the U.S, government has started a crackdown on the illegal internet and it's followers calling it a initive against Internet Piracy.

In the past few months the SOPA(The Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA(the Protect IP Act) bills have been proposed and debated The U.S. Congress , set to fight against the illegal internet and it's followers.If Passed "The bills would give the Justice Department the power to go after foreign websites willfully committing or facilitating intellectual property theft -- 'rogue' sites like The Pirate Bay. The government would be able to force U.S.-based companies, like Internet service providers, credit card companies and online advertisers, to cut off ties with those sites."(Condon) In reaction to these bills"The popular link-sharing site Reddit got the ball rolling for today's 24-hour Internet blackout. In addition to Reddit and Wikipedia, other sites participating include BoingBoing, Mozilla, WordPress, TwitPic, MoveOn.org and the ICanHasCheezBurger network. Search giant Google is showing its solidarity with a protest doodle and message: "Tell Congress: Please don't censor the web," but the site planned no complete blackout."(Codon)

Pirating of steal of integrally material has been present in other mediums for decades,however the anti-piracy laws on the internet are creating a different and stronger reaction by the public due to personal emphasis and advocation of free-speech by opening itself up and creating tools for the individual to voice their opinions. Ultimately, the fight of the internet war of the company and the individual might come down to the right of free-speech and whether it applies to the internet as a whole and if so in what context.

Citations:

Condon, Stephanie. "SOPA, PIPA: What you need to know." CBS News: Political Hotsheet. 18 01 2012: n. page. Web. 19 Feb. 2012. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57360665-503544/sopa-pipa-what-yo...