Uncle Bear and The Three Idiots: Animation Project

by: 20lip
Scene 1 Storyboard
Scene 2 Storyboard
Scene 3 Storyboard
Scene 4 Storyboard
Scene 5 Storyboard
Screenshot

The past month, I was introduced to Scratch, an editing program where you can create your own animations. To create motion and use dialogue in terms of speech bubbles, there are a variety of "blocks" that you can choose from to drag for a Sprite (a character) to make them move, or animate. Scratch, for beginners like myself is quite difficult– it almost feels impossible to use. Once you get the hang of it, it's like riding a bike. The more you practice with Scratch, the better your animation gets. I did enjoy getting to let creativity flow and find out more about the program. 

SCRIPT: 

[Setting- Walking down stone path from house] {Jim stage middle right, John middle left}{Jeremy far stage right}

Jim: Hey, be careful with those eggs for Goldilocks’ aunt. She needs them to make her special cake for Goldilocks’ aunt.

John: Don’t worry. But what I am really afraid of is the three bears. I heard that they’ve relocated. Papa and Mama bear are VERY protective of their newborn cub.

Jeremy: *walks into scene* Hey guys!

Jim: John, it don’t matter. Hey, what do you say we use these eggs to bomb the bears’ house?

John: Hey, that sounds like fun!

Jeremy: Whoa! That’s going to be the greatest thing ever. But if we get caught, our life hangs on a thread– or we’re dead.

Jim: We have to sneak through their gates.

John: We have to tip toe.

Jeremy: Let’s change into disguises or black.

John: Our plan has hatched!

Jeremy: Haha, that’s funny.

Jim: Good one

[Setting 2- Forrest] {Jim, John and Jeremy all facing stage left}{Uncle Bear far stage left}

Jim: Hey! We’re getting close to the Bears.

John: I have the eggs right here.

Jeremy: Wait. We could even sneak through their window and take rolls of the toilet paper and wrap it around their house too. Haha.

Jim: Yeah! Let’s do that! I need your binoculars, Jeremy.

Jeremy: Got ‘em right here.

Jim: *looks through binoculars*

Uncle Bear: *listens quietly* [Thinks: He doesn’t. But I’m those kids’ uncle. And no one will lay a paw or hand on them.]

Jim: Thanks.

John: What do we do if the Bears are home?

Jeremy: Don’t worry. I checked PawBook and Papa and Mama are at dinner. They’ve gotta have taken their kids.

[Setting 3- Outside/inside of house] {Jim, John, and Jeremy on stage left} {Uncle Bear behind}

Uncle Bear: *quickly runs into house*

Jim: Let’s egg the house first!

John: Yeah, just in case the toilet paper is out, aha.

Jeremy: Take a bunch of eggs. *hands eggs out*

John: Ready?

Jim and John: Ready!

John: 3! 2! 1! EGG!

*throws eggs to outside house walls*

[Setting 4- Inside house]

Jim: Wow! I can’t believe we got into the house!

John: SHHH. I heard footsteps. I think they’re in the house?

Jim: Nah, let’s go get that toilet paper.

Jeremy: I hear crying. Who else is home then?

Jim: You guys are such babies– or should I say cubs?

Jim: Follow me. We’re going to get some toilet paper.

[Setting 5- Bathroom]

*All three run into Uncle Bear stage right*

Uncle Bear: What do you fellas think YOU’RE doing here?

Jim: uh oh.

John: Oh no!

All three: RUN!!!!

Uncle Bear: Nobody lays a paw on those kids while I am here! And I will be using those eggs for my breakfast.

DEVELOPERS LOGS

Wednesday, March 11th, 2015 (in class)- I worked on my schedule for the project, and spent a majority of time for it. I barely got to accomplish the scratch creation because I was still trying to figure out how to copy sprites from storyboardthat.com into scratch. spent time importing backdrops, taking longer than expected. I hope to get started at home quickly for this project.

Thursday, March 12th, 2015 (at home)- I am spending too much time trying to mask the characters onto the setting.

Friday, March 13th, 2015 (in class)- Today, I finally figured out the easy way to mask out the characters. I finished the three characters in Act 1, and added some dialogue for them. I finally added dialogue using the broadcast tool. I did change the positions of some of the characters, and I made the backdrop easier by choosing the ones available on the Scratch website. I added a few minor elements to my script that differed from the script and storyboard.

Sunday, March 15th, 2015 (at home)- Today, I finished the two first Acts in my project and timed them to see how long they’d animate. It came out to more than a minute. I did change some of the dialogue, but minorly tweaked it.

Monday, March 16th, 2015 (at home)- Today, I completed my entire project. The characters are differently positioned than in my storyboard, and I did not follow the stage directions at all. I did add a few lines of dialogue to add more seconds to the story timing. The total time for the project was 2 minutes and 30 seconds long. The dialogue of Uncle Bear and the boys show a difference when compared with the script. I changed the backdrops in acts 1,2,3 and 4. I also did not do a title sequence for all acts.

I also did not do a title sequence for all acts.