A Universal Last Name

My name is good question if you are asking what it comes from. What is the most simple name you could think of for a Chinese boy? One that is easy to remember, something that your personality and an interest in the world? Eric. Yup, as simple as that.

“Eric” sounds simple and easy. There are probably hundreds of thousands of Erics in the world, and a big portion comes from a common name in Chinese traditions. In China, “Eric” is a very common name, because Chinese people tend to use that name a lot just because of its simplicity. I always thought my name was really boring, I never really thought that I was special compared to all of the other Erics in this world.

However, it is my last name that explains most of myself, Yu. Yu in Chinese is “俞”. Alone itself it means nothing, but this Chinese character means the world to me. It has so much potential, it has so much beauty. You add a simplification to this, 愉, and it means discovery and happiness. It is described with all of the joys of your life. Human discovery makes up what we are today. Add a car symbol, 输, it means loss. Add a mouth symbol next to it, 喻, it means explain, to analogize and to give reasons. Add a bottom heart symbol, 愈, and it means heal. To recover from all of our losses with the signs of hope.

Most people read over what my last name truly means. To all of the times I have been through for my short 14 years of life, my last name means a lot to me. It gives me a special feeling about myself, it gives me confidence. I think that my last name represents something that I can be anything I want, as long as I work hard for it.