Utah's Potential Resources

by: dfranks

As the Obama presidency creeps into another week of existence, the issues have begun to form some firm borders. And with President Obama giving large sums of money into researching global warming and  searching for alternative resources, I thought what is my state doing to help try and save our planet? It turns out in terms of renewable energy, Utah has some potential. With global warming becoming an ever pressing danger, the investment in renewable energy is invaluable. Renewable energy entails using different sources of energy to power factories and cars:

In President Barack Obama's inauguration speech on January 20, 2009, he stated the importance of expanding the country's use of renewable energy technologies, emphasizing the importance of "[harnessing] the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories."

EERE News: New Energy for America Plan Sets High Goals for U.S. Energy Usage

So where does Utah stand in terms of helping to be a proponent of this renewable energy? In an encouraging State of the State address Gov. Jon Huntsman said that he wants Utah to be "premier destination in America for renewable energy." This attitude is encouraging to all residents of Utah who are very aware that the care of our Earth is a necessity if we intend to preserve the planet that has given us so much. But the path to renewable resources won't be easy:

But there are hurdles the state will face on the road to renewable energy development: building new transmission lines that don't cost too much for consumers, finding the money or incentives to do it, and creating new rules to pave the way.

Though the road may be tough, the results will be worth the struggle. It is encouraging to hear that Utah has decided to step up to the plate for mother earth. As a successful and ambitious state, it is important for us to set an example to other states about inciting a change in our nation, and by maximizing this potential we are doing just that.

But a new report identifying the zones with the best potential for harnessing wind, geothermal and solar energy in the state shows Utah has potential. In fact, we have some of the nation's best renewable potential for geothermal and solar energy.

ksl.com - Can Utah be a renewable energy leader?