Victorian Trends rein victorious

by: brynleigh

Recently, while searching ebesco, I was able to find reliable sources pertaining to the new tend, “waist training.” This information has been difficult to find considering it is a relatively new trend. According to http://web.a.ebscohost.com/pov/detail/detail?vid=4&sid=798233a7-130b-4ea... the corsets used for waist training has evolved from Victorian age “waist training”. Many current trends such as, castor oil for eyelash growth, beeswax lips, henna, and grey hair are all part of Victorian Beauty rituals as well. The Waikato times credits this trend making a come-back to popular celebrities such as “Kim Kardashian.” This Victorian beauty standard had disappeared for ages because many women found this body shape unattainable, unrealistic, and dangerous. We are taking a step back in time, and now we must decide for ourselves if this trend is liberating women to take their appearances into their own hands, or harming our perception of a natural body.

Your topic is so interesting

Submitted by Maliha_JMCHS on Thu, 2016-04-14 13:01.

Your topic is so interesting and important in this day and age! I think it's necessary to challenge these trends on platforms like this and your perspective is definitely unique. There's no question that this relapse to a specific body image is dangerous, but the fact that it's becoming rooted in our culture and influencing generations to come through the media is alarming. You could research the psychological factors of these trends and why they are reborn into society. I think that would be a really interesting route of research. Good job so far! Your sources are great and I admire your stance to give women "real" examples to look up to.

Very cool topic Brynleigh! I

Submitted by becca_hen87 on Thu, 2016-04-14 15:40.

Very cool topic Brynleigh! I like how you reference other Victorian beauty rituals that are still used today. I think the reasons behind the unchanging beauty standards for women over time would be an interesting research topic.

Very cool topic Brynleigh! I

Neat topic, nice title

lovebugleen's picture
Submitted by lovebugleen on Mon, 2016-04-25 12:41.

A strength you have is the fluidity of your writing, it makes your writing enjoyable to read! Also, I really appreciate a good caption/title when I see one. Good use of alliteration.