Victory of the people

by: zepfn18
Hello, my name is...

In greek, my first name Nicholas means victory of the people. I just happen to discover that while researching my name and I’ve decided my parents chose it well. I mean, isn't that the best name ever? The name is also completely mine since I wasn’t named after anyone in my family. However, my middle name is my mom’s last name while my last is my dads last name which both happen to be very German. For some odd reason, I have a history of teachers calling me Zach (personally I don’t think I look like a Zach but whatever). Anyway, whatever I’m called, I will always answer to the one named I’ve always had: Nicholas.

Many descriptions

Submitted by vfarmer on Wed, 2014-10-08 14:01.

Dear Nicholas:
I am amused by your poem, "Victory of the people," because it describes your name in so many ways. I also liked how you stated in your poem that you researched your name and you found out that your name means victory of the people. I thought that was so cool.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "For some odd reason, I have a history of teachers calling me Zach." I think this is odd because they are calling you that, although that could be another nickname that they found for you Nicholas.

Another sentence that I read was: "However, my middle name is my mom’s last name while my last is my dads last name which both happen to be very German." This stood out for me because it feels a bit confusing that your middle name is your moms last name but i guess it is a different way of thinking about it.

Your poem reminds me of something that happened to me. One time a few years back for some reason I wanted my name to be Christopher. I don't know why but I did. But once I found out that my name comes from my father I was dearly excited . Therefore its not so bad to have a recognized family member name.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because... you seem to have an interesting outlook on such things.