The Vitality of Music in Teenage Lives

by: 18keegane

Today in society, music is everywhere. You can hear it blasting from cars, computers, people singing on the subway. It’s popularity, variety, and spread shows how much of a fundamental part of life it is. People can’t help but tap their foot to the tune of their favorite song or have a melody stuck in their head all day. Music always seems more interesting than actual life and talking so therefore it is also a go-to destresser. In general, music is important in the growth and shaping of teenage minds.
In an article by Berg, it states how music is vital in shaping a young adults interests and groups. They often tend to lean towards a certain kind of music and tend to identify with it as well. It can be a way to let out feelings and this is important especially at that age. Music releases dopamine when listened to, making the teenager happy and distressed. This destresser can also help them find out who they are as a person which is what all teenagers want. It is also said that the music people listen to in their young adulthood is always the most memorable for them and stays with them for the rest of their life. This might be because people are most impressionable and effected at this age by small things including music.
It is also very much proven that teens will go to great lengths to get music. Most adults are willing and able to pay for premium service on certain websites in order to get a service without ads. With young adults they are not exactly able to pay for premiums since most people under 16 are unemployed. They still deal with the ads in order to get their service. This also hints to the fact that teens are more rebellious and willing to do “illegal” things to get what they want. This also includes the large amount of illegal music downloads that happen since teens can also not afford their own music as well. This rebellious element is vital and may be affected by the type of music one listens to.
In conclusion, music is very important in teenager’s lives and shapes them as a group. To me, music is a very important part in my life and i listen to it all the time. It really does make me happy and that is what is important. The type of music a generation listens to shapes them, and hopefully our generation will have good music to show to the next.

Citations:
Weijters, Bert, Frank Goedertier, and Sofie Verstreken. "Online Music Consumption in Today's Technological Context: Putting the Influence of Ethics in Perspective." Journal of Business Ethics 124.4 (2014): 537+. Academic OneFile. Web. 6 Jan. 2015.

Hăkan Casares Berg. "CULTURAL HABITS IN TEENAGERS AND YOUNG ADULTS in Galicia." CULTURAL HABITS IN TEENAGERS AND YOUNG ADULTS in Galicia (n.d.): n. pag. Observatorio Da Cultura Galega. Web. 6 Jan. 2015.

I really like what you said

mcmahong18's picture
Submitted by mcmahong18 on Wed, 2015-01-14 09:57.

I really like what you said about how music shapes a teenagers mind. I agree with you on that, but I don' think it's always the music you listen to. It could be the music that you hear in the car when you don't get to choose the station. Everything musical that you hear affects you brain and I do think that effects your decisions. Overall I really agree with what you have said about music affecting your decisions.

I really like what you said

mcmahong18's picture

I really like what you said

mcmahong18's picture

Music

Turtle's picture
Submitted by Turtle on Wed, 2015-01-14 11:12.

I love how you connected music to life as a whole and to the way we see the world. It's also totally true that we express our emotions using music as a medium, kind of like the catalyst in a chemical reaction.

I completely agree with you

Submitted by MadisonAnne on Wed, 2015-01-14 11:20.

Music is a huge part of many peoples' lives including myself. It can be a great escape from the many stresses and hardships we face today, especially as a high school student. "Music releases dopamine when listened to, making the teenager happy and distressed..." I thought it was very interesting that music releases dopamine. This means it not only mentally calms you down, but also in a physical way. It is amazing to see the massive changes in music throughout the decades and I really do think it defines the era.