Water being exploited ?

Everyday millions of people open up a plastic bottle water and drink, without thinking about how this effects the environment. What’s worse is that we think these bottled waters come from “springs” or “glaciers”. Majority of bottled waters come from tap water systems and the bottles used consumes too much energy and pollutes the air. 

Bottled water comes from tap systems. According to Washington State Department of Agriculture Food Establishment reports, “NRDC has found several brands sold as “glacier water” even though they apparently came from groundwater nowhere near any current glacier.” This is important for people to know because we have been mislead and lied to that bottle water comes from a “cleaner” source such as springs and glaciers when in fact they come from tap systems.

The constant use of bottled water effects the environment negatively. According to Peter Gleick, water expert and president of Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security in Oakland, California says that 17 million gallons of petroleum is used yearly to make plastic water bottles. This large of amount of petroleum effects the environment because one it takes too much energy just to make water bottles and two because the exhaust of the petroleum is highly toxic for the environment and people.

In essence, bottled water isn’t all it’s hyped up to be, due to the excessive use of plastic, and misleading advertisement. So next time, when you pick up a bottle water to drink that indicates that it’s from a natural spring, think again. Yes, plastic bottled water can affect the whole environment. So what do you think bottled water is? Pure water of pure hype?

Photo by bkestle

Plastic Water Bottles

Submitted by spalmer on Fri, 2011-09-02 15:58.

I love your interest on this topic. I highly recommend you watch the documentary Tapped it is on everything you wrote about here. Also, another down to plastic water bottles is the plastic that it is made out of. PET or PETE contains toxins so that when one reuses the water bottle these toxins leak into the water. The toxins cause liver problems, reproduction problems, and cancer. Thanks for your concern on the issue. 

Water being exploited

Submitted by Rista on Tue, 2011-09-06 14:21.

People that make water in plastic bottles are mean and have false advertising on their products.

water being exploided

Submitted by kimy71 on Tue, 2011-09-06 14:22.

Water isn't has hyped up as it can be.
Water from the ground is tap water and glacier water is spring water.
 The petroleum is effecting the environment, because they are using the plastic to make plastic bottled water.

I agree

Stargirl's picture
Submitted by Stargirl on Mon, 2011-09-12 10:54.

I agree that bottled water is not what it is all hyped up to be, but for some people, it is hard not to drink bottled water. So many people think that just because of labels, it is safe to use. I am glad you are questioning bottled water and if it is safe or not.Laughing

Kaylie

just to let you know I'm the

Submitted by danielhiggins40 on Mon, 2011-09-12 23:16.

just to let you know I'm the person in this photo and im using a reusable water bottle but good article.