"We are the 99%" with Encouragement from Protesters

by: evelyns

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

See video

I just read a Wikipedia article:

Occupy Wall Street. (2011, October 24). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:28, October 24, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Occupy_Wall_Street&oldid=457175385

I liked this article because it talks about a current event that’s going on in NYC which is “Occupy Wall Street.” I think a lot of people should read this article to be informed of what’s going on in this world. This is part of history. This historical moment is based on the economic and politic issues that America is going through.

One sentence from this article that stands out for me is: "The participants’ slogan: 'We are the 99%
' refers to the difference in wealth between the top 1% and the other citizens of the United States.” I think this is a correct way of defining this protest because people are arguing that the income is increasing for the 1% who are the rich people, and it is not for than the 99%.  

The protesters define themselves as the 99% because they want to show the world how many people are a part of the 99%. The little amount or 1% is the rich who get greater things. The protesters want us to understand that the amount of income that the "1%" people earned by 1980 was around 10% and as time passed by it increased 2x's the amount to 23% by 2006.

I’m pretty sure this is accurate, because in Foreign Policy there is an article talking about the meaning of “We are the 99%” and how many people use that as an definition to describe themselves. It’s true that a lot of people in the protest define themselves as the 99% in Occupy Wall Street (The World’s 99 Percent (2011, October 18). In
Foreign Policy. from http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/10/18/occupy_wall_street_99_percent).

Another sentence that I agree with is:“Activists from Anonymous also encouraged its followers to take part in the protest which increased the attention it received calling protesters to “flood lower Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peaceful barricades and occupy ‘Wall Street’.” This stood out for me because “Anonymous” is an unknown group of advanced hackers in the Internet. You’ll mostly hear about them in YouTube. The Anonymous group is scary at times because when you hear what they've got to say. They make a lot of comments towards the government and about shutting down Web sites that are making a lot of money, such as Facebook. They do have a video of Occupy Wall Street warning people about the cause of “Occupy Wall Street.”.

I double-checked this fact through YouTube. I searched for Anonymous Occupy Wall Street, and they basically warned people telling them what's going to happen on September 17, 2011.
[17-Sept-11] Occupy Wall Street [ANONYMOUS] (2011, September 17). In YouTube. from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nvb4HaXVMM, which makes me feel pretty sure that is Anonymous helped start Occupy Wall Street.

What I learned from this article is that many people are standing up and protesting over something, and that this could historically change the world. I was able to answer questions that I had about Occupy Wall Street and why people called themselves the 99%. Now I know what people mean about the 99%, and I also learned how people were encouraged and inspired to protest over something critical that's happening not only in NYC but in others cities of the world. Many people should wake up and learn more about Occupy Wall Street.

Great job!

Submitted by chanteg on Tue, 2011-11-01 12:05.

Dear Evelyn

I think you did a great job on your essay. I liked how you express your likes and your dislikes. One sentence that stands out to me is when you discuss your favorite slogan, which is my favorite as well! We are the 99%' refers to the difference in wealth between the top 1% and the other citizens of the United States.” It's crazy to me how almost the whole U.S is in poverty, and pay more taxes, and the 1% is made up of rich people who pay less taxes.Another sentence that stand out to me was the protesters define themselves as the 99% because they want to show the world how many people are a part of the 99%.I never really realized how many people is in poverty untill this slogan came about. I mean I knew many people were in poverty but not the majority of people. Your essay reminds me of back in the days when there was slavery, and people protesting for a change.Thanks for writing. I look forward to  seeing what you write next because your essay gave me and ephiany.Keep up the good work!

Chante

Dear Chante, I'm glad that

Submitted by evelyns on Mon, 2011-11-07 14:07.

Dear Chante,

I'm glad that you like the essay, but yes this is like history repeating again I never took that phrase seriously but like you said it reminds you of slavery. It reminds me of the great depression and when nazi took over probably history will repeat again. Thanks for the comment.