We Can Fix Insomnia!!!

50 to 70 million Americans are affected by insomnia. There are primarily two types of insomnia: acute insomnia and chronic insomnia. Acute insomnia is usually related to factors in everyday life that affect you such as a change in work, family, or environment. Chronic insomnia is insomnia that lasts three or more nights per week lasting longer than 4 weeks. Not enough people that have insomnia contact their doctor for help, but a lot of the time, we can control the quality of our sleep without medical help. There are many causes for insomnia and easy ways to solve it.

Insomnia can affect all age groups, but especially people of older age. Women tend to have insomnia more often than men, a reason for this is that women go through menopause which can cause hot flashes and disturb sleep. Pain or fever can also affect sleep. One of the most common causes for insomnia is stress, either from work or family or finances. People of lower socioeconomic status have more insomnia. Abusers of drugs or alcohol are more likely to have insomnia and also people you take in too much caffeine. Having a medical or psychiatric disease like depression or anxiety is a big influence on quality of sleep. Sleeping patterns can also be a result of what people see in their household. They could have family members that can not fall asleep or go to sleep late, so they do as well.

There are easy ways to treat insomnia, specifically acute insomnia. A really important thing to do to improve quality of sleep is to set a schedule. sleeping at the same time everyday and waking up at the same time teaches your body when to expect sleep. To have a better nights sleep, avoid taking naps. They might make you more energized during the day but they will alter your sleeping schedule at night. Avoiding drugs, alcohol, and caffeine will help prevent insomnia. Eating heavy meals late at night before you go to bed affects your sleep. Doing something relaxing before going to bed like taking a bath or listening to music will help put you to sleep quicker. Exercising in the afternoon or evening could also negatively affect your sleep. Using technology less than an hour before going to bed will discourage sleep. Don’t focus on anything too bright before going to bed and also keep the lights in the room to a minimum. The last thing to do is to not stay awake in bed for more than 20 minutes before falling asleep. if you have trouble sleeping, get up and do something relaxing in dim light until you feel sleepy and go back to bed. There are simple ways to increase the quality and amount of your sleep.

Sleep is a very important part of human functioning. it can negatively affect in so many ways if we don’t get enough sleep. We could have difficulty concentrating, remembering, driving, working, pursuing hobbies, or taking care of finances, according to a recent survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Stress, diseases and environment are major contributors to insomnia but there are easy ways to prevent it like doing relaxing things before bed and changing the lighting in your room. Americans are not getting enough sleep, but we can change this and notice major differences in our quality of life.

Sleep is very important and I

wilsont18's picture
Submitted by wilsont18 on Wed, 2015-01-14 09:01.

Sleep is very important and I can't believe that 70,000,000 people suffer from insomnia!I have had experiences of getting like 10 hours of sleep in 3 days and remembering how incredibly tired and sick feeling I was the next day.

This is really interesting. I

Submitted by Jacobrbsn77 on Wed, 2015-01-14 10:27.

This is really interesting. I didn't know that the most common cause of insomnia is stress. It is interesting that older people and women tend to get insomnia more often than other people.