We Get More Then Storage When it Comes to Plastic

by: spalmer
Symbol of Polyethylene Terephthalate

Making plastic is not an easy process. It is the combination of carbon from petroleum, natural gas, coal, or biological sources to create the wanted material. On all plastic items containing our food, water, or other products you will always find a little symbol that looks like the recyling sign with the three arrows. Many think this is to indicate if it is recyable or not, but it really is showing the type of plastic that is used. The following are signs you you could fine:

• No. 1: Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET, PETE)
  • No. 2: High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
  • No. 3: Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC, vinyl)
  • No. 4: Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
  • No. 5: Polypropylene (PP)
  • No. 6: Polystyrene (PS)

The problem is that these plastics aren’t always safe to be using over our lifetimes. Polyethylene Terephthalate, or as you would see it on the bottom of the plastic item, PET or PETE, is one of the worse. In 1994, ILSI stated that "PET polymer has a long history of safe consumer use, which is supported by human experience and numerous toxicity studies." However, recent studies have proved this statement wrong. Studies showed that reusing items made out of PET, most commonly seen in the plastic water bottle, is dangerous. A toxin DEHA is released into the water when reused. This toxin can cause many health issues including liver problems, reproduction problems, and cancer.

Polyethylene Terephthalate is not the only bad plastic out there though. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC or vinyl) is also a known harmful plastic. We need to avoid using these products and find alternates for our needs. In the long run, it will protect ourselves and our world.

http://www.medicinenet.com/plastic/article.htm

To search on my topic of the dangers of the plastic used in our daily items I simply went to google. I searched, “PET danger in Plastic”, and got instant websites that supported my question. I actually just selected the first link that appeared and got all my information from there.