Welcome to the Grill

by: 16heronp

I created the Scratch animation ‘WELCOME TO THE GRILL’ as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a text that takes the reader through an event that surrounds the main idea of doing good or making the right decision .
My story is about a character who is a fox named Asia Wolf who works as a fried cook in a restaurant, she recieves an order from the waitress ( a bird named Tyresse); while making the food she drops it: the reader then is presented with a choice of picking up the dirty patty and continue making it; or go out to buy more (since she was on her last patty.). If she chooses the right decision and tell Tyresse; the game ends. but if she makes the spoiled patty then the customer comes and complains that his stomach hurts from the food he ate the previous day: Asia either blames Tyresse (she then goes to jail) or takes blame (the customer understands and doesn’t sue.). My story was inspired by SpongeBob and my imagination. I think I was both successful and unsuccessful in creating my story because in some parts of the Animation I was having trouble with but also some parts of the animation worked successfully.

Feedback

16benaresb's picture
Submitted by 16benaresb on Thu, 2012-01-05 16:43.

There were some issues with the ethical decisions. When I picked No for the last decision, both endings came up. I wasn't sure which one was for the answer I picked. When I tried to press A for one of the decisions, it didn't work so I had to press B for that decision. I also think your story is a bit too short. I liked your story though. It was funny.

Jamie

16carrollj's picture
Submitted by 16carrollj on Thu, 2012-01-05 17:51.

I think that your story was too short and not too interactive. You only show the story through words, with one background and the sprites didn't move, so it could definitely improve. You should try to have the sprites move, and not only interact with the reader, but with each other. It will make the story better and more entertaining.

Comment on Ethical Story

16wangc's picture
Submitted by 16wangc on Thu, 2012-01-05 19:59.

I liked how your animation was partly inspired by SpongeBob, and had a good storyline. I also liked the way the characters look in your animation - they look pretty cute.
I noticed that your animation was a little too short and the sprites lacked movement, and there was only one background scene. It also took me a while to figure out how to start the animation because it didn't start when I clicked the green flag, but I later realized that I had to press the space key to continue the animation. I was confused by why there were two endings when I pressed A to serve the bad patty. Something you could have done better was adding movement to your animation, instead of just sprites that don't move or show dialogue, and only one background scene throughout the whole animation, which seems a bit too simple. You could also add sound/music to make your animation more fun to watch. Another thing you could have done better was making your animation longer so that it would be around 3 minutes, meeting the requirement. Finally, I think that you could fix the glitches and bugs in your animation so that it functions better because I was unable to get choice B to work by clicking B.
The ethical dilemma in your story was good. I understood the choices well, but the wrong choices were not tempting because there were no hints as to what the wrong choice would do. The mechanism for making the choices were clear, although there were some glitches.

I think that your story was

16riadc's picture
Submitted by 16riadc on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:19.

I think that your story was good but it was a little short. It was also a little bit confusing. You were very creative when making the story, and it showed that you worked very hard on it. If your story was a little bit longer and more clear, I think it would've been a very good story. However, your story it still good.

Comment on Project

16mizukamia's picture
Submitted by 16mizukamia on Fri, 2012-01-06 06:49.

I think that your story was good, and the plot was interesting. However, I think that the story was too short overall, and it was a few minutes later that I realized the space key is what makes the words come out. Also, are some of the words cut off? You should add more backgrounds too, and instead of just words and a story, I think that you should add some animation to it. When I clicked no, I got the good ending as well. I like how the bad ending really made things extremely easy to see if it was good or bad, but I don't know if it was truly good or bad, because the story ends up with either one character going to jain and the other feeling bad about it, or just telling what happened and ending. Also, how many characters are there, who got the bad patty? And I realized that the truly good ending happens if I just keep pressing space...

The animation was good in the

17fallaitj's picture
Submitted by 17fallaitj on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:10.

The animation was good in the way that it was easy to distinguish the text from the backgrounds, and the sprites were generally well done. The fact remains that it was still very short, and lacked any movement. The ethical dilemma itself was well done, considering that there were Ups and Downs to every choice, but the Ups presented in blaming it on Tyresse weren't mentioned in the animation. The animation didn't exactly follow the description provided, and it could have improved it. No mention to utilizing the Space key to make the animation progress also made it difficult to start out, as I had no idea what to do to start the animation until after a minute of pressing every possible key. The plot was good, but the animation didn't do it much justice.