What Are The Consequence Of Teen Pregnancy?

by: heryan

Something that I really been interested was “What Are The Consequence Of Teenage Pregnancy?” I think that the consequence that pregnancy bring could be avoided, but with the help of others. I am interested in this topic, because at my age I know lots of teen age girls that are or been pregnant.I want to know what are the consequence and if they could be resolved. It’s common in New York City specially from where i’m from (Washington Heights) to hear about this. Others know a lot about this topic specially if you’re in high school.

At my age I know a lot about this topic specially because I am in school. Throught my school year I been sexualy educated and teen pregnancy was always one one of the topics. I know that if you’re pregnant things change, and will never be the same. Once you’re pregnant you have to give up on yourself and dedicate your life you your baby. School its one of the main things that you will have to give up for a while. Also your social life won’t be the same; your friends will be into others stuff while those teenager are home with their babies. For me; one of the main consequence of teenage pregnancy is giving up your childhood for being pregnant. Live won’t be the same if teens don’t enjoy their childhood or experience the things kids their age should.

Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on the consequence of teenage pregnancy; I chose to do some research on this Topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: When Children Have Children: This article provided a lot of information on my topic. According to this article “Teenage pregnancy is usually a crisis for the pregnant girl and her family,” I agree with this because some teenager aren’t allow to work. The teens family have to help the teenager with the things needed for the baby, because it’s really hard to find a job pregnant and young. Therefore the family has to end up taking care of the teen and its baby. Also according to this article “some may not want their babies, some may want them for idealized and unrealistic ways, others may view the creation of a child as an achievement and not recognize the serious responsibilities, some may keep a child to please another family member,” I also agree with this because I know some girls that keep the baby so the baby father could stay with them. I think that this is so not good because you are going to make the baby suffer just because you want the father to stay with you. Not for nothing but i agree with abortion, because why would you have a baby if you’re not going to stop doing all the crazy things you do hen you a teen. Also because some teens tend to drink, smoke and do other crazy things while they’re so why have the baby. This article answer part of my question, but in a different way.

On the second article “Consequences of Teenage Pregnancy,” I also found more information on my topic. According to this article ,“children born to teenage mothers are more likely to suffer health, social, and emotional problems than children born to older mothers” I agree and also disagree with this statement. I disagree because I know a couple of teenage girls with healthy babies. It depends on how they take care, and how the family helps them. I also agree because this could happen if the teenage mother keeps on doing crazy things as i mentioned in paragraph 3. Also according to this article, “Teenage births are associated with lower annual income for the mother. Eighty percent of teen mothers must rely on welfare at some point” I agree with this because us teenage are too young to be working or maintained ourself and a baby. Also the teenage mom doesn't get help from the father, and sooner or later she will end up in welfare. This article also answer my question with more and more consequence of teenage pregnancy consequence.

Another article that helped me answered my question “What are the Teenage Pregnancy Consequence?” was “Discouraging Teenage Girls From Becoming Pregnant.” This Article didn’t provide that much information, but it had something that was helpful. According to this article “one in four young women lost their virginity when they were below the legal age of consent,” I agree with this because I know girls that are under age and already lost their virginity. Loosing their virginity opens a path to end up getting pregnant. Also Loosing their virginity encourage the girls to keep having sex, and sooner or later they’ll end up pregnant.Furthermore virgins girls that hang out with non-virgin girls then to loose their virginity just to fit in, but don’t know what they’re and what are the consequence. This Article didn’t answer my question that much, but loosing their virginity at a young age it’s the first step of teenage pregnancy.

The fourth article “U.S Teen Pregnancy Rates At An All-time Low Across All Ethnicities,” didn’t provide that much information but it has facts that link to my question. According to this article “The effect is being seen across most groups. Hispanic teens, who normally have a higher birth rate than the rest of the population, reported less young birth mothers than ever before in 2010,” some people blame teenage pregnancy on the teenager race. I think that the race don’t matter at all, and that it depends on the teens family and how she was raised. You could be Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, and others and if you end up pregnant your race don’t matter. It’s who you are and who your parents raised you to be. Even though this article doesn’t seem to answer my question; in a way it does. Some people blamed teen pregnancy on their race when that for me doesn’t even come to the case.

The last article “Effects of Teenage Pregnancy,” This Article also gave me lots of information on my topic. According to this article, “In most cases this is due to the fear of their parents and family accepting the fact that their teens are pregnant, these kids are afraid to tell their parents. Not only that, some teens live in denial about their pregnancy until it is too late” I agree with this because some teens out of respect for their parents stay shut. Teens don’t say nothing till its too late and they can’t do nothing about it. this is another consequence which don’t have no solution at all. Also according to this article, “associated with high rate of infant mortality and childhood disorders. In some cases these babies have partially developed organs and in most cases that results in brain bleeding, intestinal problems as well as respiratory problems” I agree with this because it’s true teenager haven’t even develop good enough to start having baby. Once again I think that teenager should have consider abortion sometimes, because they just bringing a baby to this world to suffer mentally, emotionally, and medically.This last article answers my questions In many different way, and it also sums everything up.

Summing all my research and my own Ideas on this topic now i have a better understanding. I learned more on this topic that seem to be in my life everyday. This topic plays a big role in our teenage life specially in high school. I still think that the biggest consequence of teenage pregnancy its giving up your childhood, because once its gone its not coming back. Missing your childhood includes giving up on your prom, and all that highschool fun stuff that all your friends will enjoy, Even though some teenager have good family members and could help them out; things won’t be the same at all.

ARTICLE 1

Unknown.“When Children Have Children.” American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. July 2004. April 6, 2012
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/when_children_have_children

ARTICLE 2

Stanley, J. Swierzewsk.“Consequences of Teenage Pregnancy.” Health Community. October 31, 2000. April 6, 2012

http://www.healthcommunities.com/teen-pregnancy/children/overview-of-tee...

ARTICLE 3
James, LeFanu. “Discouraging Teenage Girls From Becoming Pregnant.” The Telegraph. December 19, 2011. April 6, 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthadvice/jameslefanu/8961946/Disco...

ARTICLE 4
Michelle, Castillo. “U.S Teen Pregnancy Rates At An All-time Low Across All Ethnicities.” CBSNEWS. April 10, 2012. April 13, 2012

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57411981-10391704/u.s-teen-pregna...

ARTICLE 5

Amy, Williams. “Effects of Teenage Pregnancy.” At-risk. November 23, 2012. April 13, 2012.
http://www.at-risk.org/blog/1022/effects-of-teenage-pregnancy/

A lot of things change

asheikap's picture
Submitted by asheikap on Mon, 2012-04-23 10:33.

Dear Yannerys,

I am amazed by your post, "What are the consequences of teen pregnancy?" because you express your personal thoughts and how you feel about teen pregnancy. I also agree with some of the articles that you have researched because they are true facts.

One thing that you quote says that "'Children born to teenage mothers are more likely to suffer health, social, and emotional problems than children born to older mothers.'" You explain, "I agree and also disagree with this statement." I disagree with this because I had my son at a young age, and he was in the best of health. As for me being emotional, I believe all women go through these things after giving birth. Also he is well taken care of.

Another sentence that caught my interest was: "Once you’re pregnant you have to give up on yourself and dedicate your life you your baby. School its one of the main things that you will have to give up for a while. Also your social life won’t be the same..." This stood out for me because as a young mother this is where I had to suffer the consequences. I had a baby at a young age and this held me back from doing a lot of things.

I agree with you that once a teenage female becomes a parent a lot of things in her life change. One reason I can say this is because I experienced many changes after I had my son. It was a wake-up call because I was alone when I gave birth, and I realized that life isn't going to be the same anymore. I had a responsibility to take on and dedicate my time to my baby. Another reason I agree with you is because many things will be affected, and being a first time mother, you would have to nurture your newborn child so they can sense and feel who their parents are. This is a life changing situation for many teenage mothers.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have researched some good information on teen pregnancy and had some interesting thoughts based on how you felt about it. I look forward to reading more of your articles and hearing more of your personal thoughts.

It's really hard being a teen pregnant

Submitted by darialisb on Tue, 2012-04-24 10:29.

Dear Yannerys,

I am concerned with your writing. “What Are The Consequence Of Teen Pregnancy? because I'm a teenager and I'm pregnant. I agree with your writing because it’s true. It’s real hard to be a parent at a young age especially if your real young and still in school.

On sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Teenage pregnancy is usually a crisis for the pregnant girl and her family.” I agree with this because some teenagers aren't allow to work. Others are still in school, and it’s real hard to find a job and being pregnant. Therefore someone in the family has to end up taking care of the teen and her baby.

Another sentence that I agree on was: "Some may not want their babies." This stood out for me because it’s really true. Some teenage girls feel like they're not going to be a good mom or have the money for their kids, and they end up giving them away. Some may want them for idealized and unrealistic ways, others may view the creation of a child as an achievement and not recognize the serious responsibilities. Some may keep a child to please other family members.

I do agree with you that being pregnant as a teenager is real hard. One reason I say this is because I'm a teenager too, and I'm about to be seven months pregnant, and it’s real hard attending school everyday, finding a job, and knowing you have to do everything alone. Some girls have support from their family members, others don't. This is why I agree with you because I know it’s hard.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it’s something I'm going though in life and it’s really difficult for me because I'm still in school, I have no job, and I also don't have the support of my family and my baby's father. The good thing is, I'm still in school, and I'm still trying to be someone in life.

So true!

Submitted by lesher on Mon, 2013-05-20 11:37.

Dear Yannerys,

I am interested with your post “What Are The Consequence Of Teen Pregnancy?” because everywhere I go I see a teenager with their baby. I am interested because I have some family members that are teens that already have a baby and are pregnant. I have seen so many teens struggle with their kids and I be feeling sad and sorry for them because having a baby is not easy. This topic stood out to me because there are so many teens with babies.

Reading through your post I found a quote that really “One of the main consequence of teenage pregnancy is giving up your childhood for being pregnant. Life won’t be the same if teens don’t enjoy their childhood or experience the things kids their age should.” This quote stood out to me because it’s sad that teens are giving up their childhood to take care their own child. It’s sad because they babies themselves taking care of their babies. They haven't grown as an adult and they don't know how to handle things. This stood out to me because that's what all teens wants to do enjoy life but having to deal with a baby its big issue.

Another quote that stood out to me was “Once you’re pregnant you have to give up on yourself and dedicate your life you your baby.” This stood out to me because it’s so true. I strongly agree with you because that’s how it’s suppose to be. This stood out to me because it bothers me when I see teens leaving their babies around and going out, when they suppose to take care of them. Because now is not about them but about the baby. At the same time I would understand that sometimes they want to go out but is not OK if they over do it.

I look forward to see what you write next because I really enjoyed your topic. I will like to express my thoughts and feeling about it. I am interested with what your next post will be about because I like the way you put your thoughts in a lot of details.