What are the effects on children and/or teens in a single parent household?

by: maguilar

The general topic that I am interested in is The affects on children and/or teens in a single parent household. Many woman in the world are single parents due to the lack of the male figure being there. My mother is a single parent and does it all on her own. So not only does it affect me, but does it affect other children and teens?

I am personally interested in this topic because I can relate to the affect it has on us teenagers living in a single parent household. Growing up my mother as well didn't have both parents due to her father passing away when she was still a child. Due to the effects my mother and I both have gone through makes me wonder if other children and teens feel exactly what she and I feel. Does this affect me at all?

The new information that I found in the pre-research process is that Children from single parent families are more likely to have unhealthy lives. which can cause depression. As well as being the most likely student to drop out of high school getting into a higher rate of depression and can cause these children to get sick mentally. Finding this new information made me feel that it's an obligation to continue to keep searching for more to learn about. It doesn't only benefit me for having information for my senior project, but to show me that there are more children that go through the struggle for wanting that male figure they and I have never had.

This topic is an issue of unfairness because like myself and the children that don't have that male father figure it separates us from living with both parents. However the situation is the children are being treated unfairly. All children should have both parents to rely on not just one. This can really make a child change in personality as he or she grows up in to a young adult.

People should care about my topic because this can relate a lot of people all over the world, whether you're of color or not of color. As well as the perspective of the children that have gone or still are going through this. These voices of the children matter the most and they need to be heard. How else will they express deep emotional thoughts if they're not heard.

Single households

Submitted by vpanameno on Wed, 2013-10-16 00:21.

It seems that you are very interested in studying about single parent households, predominantly female. I can somewhat relate to this because my parents are divorced and I know what it is like to live with one parent in the household. I think you should focus on certain groups, in a certain area. I would say urban because this seems easier to be connected with. What are some other affects of children without parents? are you focusing on an specific age group? what about their gender or race? Does this matter? What are the main reasons that males are not in their children's lives as they should? Does this include economic reasons? How has not growing up without a father shape your views of the male authority? Does this date back to grade school? Using your psychoanalytic lens, can you analyze another person's family dynamics? What are the roots of their problems? Can you relate? I hope you can find all the information you need.

Single households

Submitted by ovasquez on Wed, 2013-10-16 12:00.

It seems that you are very interested in studying about single parent households. I think this is a very interesting topic because their is a lot of situations like this going on , I think it would be better if you add more information like what your feelings and what kind of things you are experiencing , to make this topic even more interesting focus on a specific group like gender or race or age. be more specific about your topic. what kind of effects are caused? does it affect children and the mother emotionally, physically or economically? I hope you find more information and find all you need about your topic.

This topic is interesting

Submitted by 16camposs on Thu, 2013-10-17 17:37.

This topic is interesting since it is important to understand what single parent households are like and many people don't put the idea that there exists single parent households under consideration. Many people imply that a family consists of two parents. I have not personally lived not having both of my parents but my aunt ( my mom's cousin) had been a single mom for a very long time. Now she is married but still it was hard for her since she was forced to support her child all by herself for many years. Now he is in college studying to be a doctor. My cousin is 20 and he has suffered a lot not having both his parents. There are many reasons why there are single parent households. For example, a parent could have passed away, a parent could have simply just left the household, and other things as well. I find it very upsetting whenever I hear stories about how people are missing their parent, however, it makes me praise my parents more for being around me whenever I need them. I like that you chose this topic since I can tell that it is very important to you and you have lived it which makes you capable of relating to all the research that you might find about single parent households. I agree with you that there is not much support for those single-parents in the world and also for the children. I agree that children are psychologically damaged when thinking that they don't have both parental figures to rely on but it is hard to change that, the only way is for the parent that is with the kid to do a great job with the child and teach the child everything they need to know so that they won't make any mistakes. Goodluck with your reasearch :).

Single Parent Households

isabel.bartholomew's picture
Submitted by isabel.bartholomew on Wed, 2013-10-30 13:39.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/a-steeper-climb-for-single-...

Hi there!
This is an interesting article about one effect of being a single parent. I hope it helps you in your research; blogs on the New York Times are a great source for studies, individuals' stories, and factual information.
Isabel

Hey Maguilar! The fact that

Submitted by mo_marti_ on Wed, 2013-10-30 13:48.

Hey Maguilar!
The fact that you have first-hand experience as to what it feels to be in a single parent household is a very strong bias. I myself was in a single parent household for a very long time, and I believe that the environment is whats important, not the amount of care takers. A single loving person in your life is so much more than two uninterested people. Just because a child has one parent, doesn't mean that they are treated unfairly. I wasn't. Although its true that "all children should have both parents to rely on not just one", the fundamental aspect that shapes who we are, and who we become doesn't have to come from the idea of a "picture-perfect family". A loving mother is more than good enough.

Single parent households are

Submitted by madigallo on Wed, 2013-10-30 13:54.

Single parent households are very common in todays society. Today, 22 million children go home to a single parent, 83% of those being mothers. According to many recent statistics, a healthy family structure contributes to the characteristics and well-being of a child. Children who have gone through a divorce are more likely to suffer from depression, emotional stress, and struggles in school. Single parent household children are associated with criminal activity. 72% of teenage murders account from a single parent household. Problems associated with single-parent households do not necessarily contribute to criminal activity, but instead with factors related to single parenting.

This is a really tough

Submitted by 16camposs on Sun, 2013-12-01 19:52.

This is a really tough subject to talk about especially if you are living through it so I give you props for being able to show your opinions and give us as readers the insight of how it is like to live in a one parent household. I really enjoyed reading this post and it is really cool to do research on something that is very personal and share it with other people.

This is a really tough

Effect on teens in a single-parent household

Submitted by madigallo on Wed, 2013-12-18 16:19.

I enjoyed reading what you had to say about the topic and how it personally has effected you and how you can personally relate to the topic you are interested in. I too can relate to the effect of living with a single parent because my parents are divorced. I live with my mother and see my dad very rarely. However, my mother is remarried and my stepfather is a lot like a father to me and has a very positive influence on me.

Single Parents

Submitted by Maddydob on Mon, 2014-02-17 13:33.

I think your research topic is very interesting! You can go very far with this. Have you thought about interviewing kids who live in single parent households and then kids who live in a house with both parents? I think it could make your paper different and engaging! Good luck!

I really like this topic

Submitted by TGustafson on Thu, 2014-02-20 19:49.

I really like your topic! I think it is interesting enough to really stand out and it is broad enough right now that you can offer a ton of information (personally and factual), as you already have. I actually did a little research for AP English in the beginning of this year discussing the affects that parents relationships with each other have on their own children's relationships in the future.
Heres the link to it if you are the slightest bit interested: http://youthvoices.net/discussion/does-relationship-your-parents-have-af...

Keep up the research! I think its great and can't wait to see what else you find out!

Taylor Gustafson

This is a great topic because

Submitted by JWheats on Fri, 2014-03-07 14:12.

This is a great topic because it's an issue that influences a large demographic of people in our society. Here's a website with some good facts on the subject, hope it helps!

http://www.healthofchildren.com/S/Single-Parent-Families.html

This is a great topic because

This is a great topic because

Hey!

Submitted by Hayley on Tue, 2014-11-25 13:53.

Hey! I was raised in a single parent household with my mom. My dad is in a compltely differernt state. I personally had to pick out a topic to write about in my mental illness class in college. I decided my topic would be "Do kids/teens raised ina  single parent household have a higher instance of depression then could would have in a single parent household." So far I have found a lot of information regarding it. I enjoy researching this topic because I can relate to all of the information that I am finding. It just a very passionate topic since i have credibility in it. I hope you research went well!

Martha, I agree very much

Submitted by lillybinns on Fri, 2014-12-19 15:04.

Martha, I agree very much with all of your thoughts. It's interesting to see someone put a personal opinion on such a topic, and it's much more insightful than just reading a random article on the point. I especially like your point about how it's unfair for some people to be raised in such an environment and as a result suffer more than those who have both parents present. The one thing I would say is that being raised in a single parent household obviously has negative effects, but it can have positive ones as well. They may get the chance to be more independent and mature, which can help them out in school and for other things like job potential. Overall keep up the good work! You're a very good writer and brought across each argument very well. Awesome to read!