What Can Strangers Learn About You Online?

by: egibbs8

My brother recently warned me about the danger about putting my life online. They said that employers tend to look up job candidates on Facebook or Twitter to learn more about them. This article scared me even more because it stated that "Computer Scientist and policy experts say that such seemingly innocuous bits of self-revelation can increasingly be collected and reassembled by computers to help create a picture of a person’s identity, sometimes down to the Social Security number." It is scary to think that someone may know all about me without even meeting me.
I believe we should all be more careful with what we post online. For instance if I have strict privacy settings and my friends don't, someone can still learn about me through my friends.I agree with the statement "If you are doing it online, you should behave as if you are doing it in public. Technology gives us leeway when we say stuff online because we do not see the immediate consequences compared to when we are doing it in public. Please don't reveal personal information on the internet, it may get you in trouble one day!

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/what-can-strangers-learn-ab...

Dear Elizabeth: Your post

Submitted by michellea on Thu, 2012-02-02 11:09.

Dear Elizabeth:

Your post "What Can Strangers Learn About You Online?" has opened my eyes. On Myspace.com I used to write everything about myself. My mom saw it and got mad because she said anyone could use it to steal my identity.

One sentence that stood out for me was "It is scary to think that someone may know all about me without even meeting me". That is scary. A staff member at my school told me they can find out if your a minority from the 2 middle numbers of your social security number. She said most minority have an even number. Mine is 84, and i'm Mexican. I asked all my friends and they had even numbers.

Another sentence that stood out for me was "Please don't reveal personal information on the internet, it may get you in trouble one day". People should really be careful to what they are posting.

Michelle <3

Dear Elizabeth I strongly

Submitted by nataliema on Thu, 2012-02-02 12:07.

Dear Elizabeth

I strongly agree with your post "What Can Strangers Learn About You Online?" because it's true there is people out there that would do things like (stealing your identity).Not only steal your identity but there's people that are very nosy and what's to know what goes in your life and could be on some (stalker mode) There's creepy people like that.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "I believe we should all be more careful with what we post online". This stood out for me because it's so true I don't post up personal things or my problems like in Facebook. I just think no one should know your business, There's people out there that likes to see you/People Unhappy and people always judging you.

Another sentence that kind if got me confused was "Computers help create a picture of a person’s identity, sometimes down to the Social Security number." How can they get your social security number? Unless you put all your information out there then yes maybe but myself I don't even put my correct information for the fact people can know you by that and not really knowing you in person.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing whhat you write next, because there are people like that. It's out there people is capable to do things like this. Know myself and others should be more cautious about things like these things.