What is Christmas?

by: CFlores

Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year. I enjoy the calm feeling that I get every time I see a Christmas tree and the lighting in every house. To me, Christmas has always been a holiday of togetherness and a symbol of peace as well as love. The perfect Christmas would be one, where there would be plenty of snow. I think the weather is a factor that also brings the Christmas spirit to live. Traditions, lights, the joy of gifts, spending time with family, food, and music; all work together to make this special holiday full of spirit. Christmas is the best holiday of the year, that harvests peace, life, and love amongst family and sometimes even strangers.

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been What is Christmas? I remember everyone talking about it since the beginning of December, but I haven’t been able to concentrate on these kinds of things because I am too busy. Lately, the topic has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that for the past years, they have not felt the Christmas spirit. From what I have heard, it is usually do to the loss of tradition. For example, I heard that the loss of Christmas spirit can be traced to people growing older and losing touch with the wonder of Christmas. Now that's just what I've heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about what is Christmas is that Christmas has evolved from a religious holiday to “that time of the year” in society. . Now I've studied my share of  U.S.History along with Religion, and the notion of Christmas should be celebrated on the basis of peace, family, and love; each household celebrating it, should do so according to their belief of what Christmas. Personally, it's funny to me how society can be very bipartisan of how Christmas should be treated and mos people are not willing compromise.

Christmas was a religious holiday. When America was first born, the beliefs of Christmas were mainly of Catholicism and other branches of Christianity dissent. Because America has become very diverse in belief, which led Christmas to be a national holiday celebrated by everyone. While some celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday, others celebrate it as the nation’s tradition. The point of Christmas is to implement the togetherness of people in America.

Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on Christmas, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays http://www.windsorstar.com/story_print.html?id=3979407&sponsor=true. This article provided a lot of information and opinions on Christmas. Some people felt that during Christmas, people should celebrate by saying “Happy Holidays” rather than the traditional “Merry Christmas.” “Yet, Christmas is celebrated as a major festival and public holiday in most countries of the world, even in many whose populations are mostly non-Christians.” This statement didn't really surprise me all that much, but it did make me feel good. Knowing that a holiday such as Christmas is celebrated around the world is very important. To me, the point of Christmas is not to promote cultural diffusion, but to practice a sense of love and peace around the world; a time period in the year where everything is about being together.

In another article, S.Korean church plans Christmas lantern display http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2010/12/15/S-Korean-church-plans-Christmas-lantern-display/UPI-71741292419542/, there was this one statement that made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: ““As we have resumed the anti-North propaganda war since the North's attack on the warship Cheonan, there is no reason to block the religious group from turning on Christmas lanterns there," the military official told the Times.” This is so true, because people should not be deprived from celebrating a holiday so meaningful to them. In a way, it is also an excused retaliation. North Korea has acted very aggressively towards South Korea and it is great that the South has been able to have some form of retaliation.

All of this makes me think that Christmas should be accepted as a world wide holiday. Christmas should be celebrated according to how people view and belief in it, respectively. Every year, this holiday should create a bond in all levels; whether national or worldwide, Christmas should be a symbol of peace and togetherness. Currently, this world needs peace and love, more than anything.

Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year, even dogs celebrate it.