What defines a true leader of a country?

by: CFlores

A leader should be defined for the ability they behold, than their image, in general. As materialistic humans, we worry about a leader’s physical image, and form conclusions based upon their media “look”, too. A leader should not be defined by their negative characteristics or their physical appearance, even though the  two examples are part of smaller things that do count. Judgement should never be against a leader in other basis such as their background, whether rich or poor. Rather yet, a background is a place where every leader starts to develop the strength and capacity to become someone of such high authority. Leaders such as Fidel Castro and Rafael Trujillo are exemplary in the fact that both impacted a specific region or the world in a different way. Believe or not, political actions were stronger than the words ever spoken by Castro and Trujillo.

Fidel Castro was a radical against the Batista government that Cuba withheld from 1934-1940 and again in 1952-1959.As a revolutionary, Castro sought power to make the already corrupt nation, a better place. The plans to overthrow the Batista began in 1953, and lasted until 1959, when Fidel finally became the Prime Minister of Cuba. Fidel Castro then led a transition to a one-party socialist republic, as the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba in 1965. After the Communist regime had settled, the Bay of Pigs Invasion led Cuba to ally itself to the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union, thus decided to help the Cubans reform themselves to a “better” government and become the country that it once was. Although not rich, Cuba did have a better social and economic system than during the times of Batista which was one of the reasons, why others sought power to overthrow the government. Cuba did have a long history of Communism, today it struggles to withhold the government that held its hands for a while.
Castro should not be regarded or thought of as a failure because in the reign of his Communist regime, he overcame struggles that help shape a better Cuba. Cubans today do have good doctors that came from the legacy of the Soviet Union. Even though Cuba today seems to struggle with poverty and movement towards a more democratic structure; it took longer than it would’ve under the rule of one leader that despite the odds against him, made it through the embargo that was placed. Castro did make the best out of the country and I admire him highly for being more sincere than even some of the president’s in our own country. After Castro left power, Cuba was left vulnerable for reformation that was meant to change the outdated government.
http://www.suite101.com/content/fidel-castro-and-cuban-revolution-a134588
The Wikipedia article, “Cuba-United States relations,” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. 9/30/10, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_–_United_States_relations is interesting. This article was more or less informational because Cuba and the U.S. have had an interesting relationship for a long time since the beginning of the Communist regime. I like the way that the article explains the actual relationship between both of the nations and expresses it without opinion, as any other encyclopedia would. This article bring an atmosphere as though the relationship has worsen over the years since Fidel Castor had taken his course.

One sentence from this article that stood out was: “In April 2009 U.S. President Barack Obama began implementing a less strict policy towards Cuba.” This is more than great because it shows less tension amongst the two nations. Since 2006, when Castro’s brother has taken power; the Communist regime has slowly started to deteriorate from what it used to be. A nation that is changing little by little, things won’t be the same in Cuba.
This information is accurate, because it was looked up on the following trustworthy website form the government: ttp://www.america.gov/st/texttrans-english/2010/March/20100325114048eaifas0.830578.html.

Another like-able sentence was: “At the Summits of the Americas, President Obama signaled the opening of a new beginning with Cuba.” This stood out for me because it is very good news to the U.S. The turmoil that was held between the two countries is now being overrun by the motion to make better relationships. In the Cuban perspective this is not good, because of all the things that have been going on, it is really sad to see a country going through extreme poverty beyond the past experiences.

The fact was double-checked on http://www.america.gov/st/texttrans-english/2010/March/20100325114048eaifas0.830578.html, which makes me feel that it is true.
This article teaches that sometimes it does take time to heal scars such as the on between the U.S. and Cuba, and it will be looked at  to see how this article changes in the future because it is a great example to learn about, how the U.S. and Cuba make out to a new era for the better. It is perfect time to make a better change on this planet and create peace for countries. It is a new era we are experiencing, but now in this growing world; it would be hard for Cuba to change to a new country, but only time will tell.
Rafael Trujillo was the Dominican Republic’s dictatorship who served in two different occasions. Trujillo served as president from 1930 to 1938 and again in 1942 to 1952, eventually running a dictatorship until 1961 when he was assassinated. Trujillo brought an era of massive massacre in the 20th century and oppressed many. Under these circumstances, Trujillo was disliked and many of the oppressed became rebels against his regime. The Trujillo Era, was a time period of many corruptions that led the Dominican Republic to be the way it was after his “reign”.

The Wikipedia article, “Dominican Republic-United States relations,” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. 9/30/10, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic was very interesting. This article helps to define how important relationships with the United States are important in defining a leader. After the reign of Trujillo, in D.R., the U.S. has helped the country to the point where they back each other up in economics and political initiatives. The U.S. and D.R. both posses an excellent closeness amongst themselves, that it is very hard to predict what it would be like if they were not on the same page.

One sentence from the article that stands out is: “U.S. relations with the Dominican Republic are excellent, and the U.S. has been an outspoken supporter of that country's democratic and economic development.” This is what some might call friendship because the U.S. and D.R. have accomplishments together and it sure is a “hand to hand” attitude that poses as a role model to the rest of the world.

The Dominican Republic and the United States have been very good “buddies” as some might say. Both countries have been very active amongst each other in terms of economy and government. The United States is supported by D.R. in the U.N. when it comes to initiatives that the country has. D.R. is fully backed by the U.S. when it comes to arrangements and to make a stronger infrastructure. The U.S. helps combat against drug traffickers in D.R. and the issue of trying to render illegal immigration. The two nations are also very good trading partners; thus the U.S. helps D.R. to become a more attractive as well as competitive against other countries in order to bring business firms along with countries that can invest in it. The quote also shows how important the U.S. and D.R. are to each other and leaves space for them to keep such a good relation going.

The evidence accurate because it was searched on google and found on an official website that proves the article’s saying, to be correct. The link is: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35639.htm. This was a very god resource that helped me support my quote. The exact same article appears on this website that seems to be from the government, which explains how the close the U.S. and the Dominican Republic are.

Another sentence from the article was: “The Dominican Republic is the 47th-largest commercial partner of the U.S. The U.S. Embassy works closely with U.S. business firms and Dominican trade groups, both of which can take advantage of the new opportunities in this growing market. At the same time, the Embassy is working with the Dominican government to resolve a range of ongoing commercial and investment disputes.” This stood out because it shows how two countries work well together. This quote explains some of the project that the U.S. is trying to take ahead within the Dominican Republic and change the country for a brighter future. Sometimes a leader can even be defined through a nation as a whole and how well it can relate as well as help its world wide counterparts.

The fact was double checked, once again, at: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35639.htm, which makes reader’s feel pretty sure it is true.
What can be learned from this article is that both the U.S. and the Dominican Republic have slowly, but certainly built a strong bond in terms of international relations, and many will look to see how this article changes in the future because it would be surprising to see both of these countries disputing. Setting a strong bond as a role model that the U.S. and D.R. expose to the world is very calming, due to the fact that the world is in turmoil right now. Also, because even though in times such as the Great Recession that we are still facing against; it just shows that we need to be this close, to face something as strong as that.

This man right here is Fidel Castro. Castro is very admired for his intelligence to bringing Cuba to a Communist regime, which has made the country what it was until the recent decade. In his Communist regime, Castro made Cuba a country that homes some of the best doctors in the world. This true leader made an “empire” that resisted even the embargo that the U.S held on it. Castro will forever be one of the best Communist leaders that ever existed in history.

Rafael Trujillo was the Communist leader in the Dominican Republic. Trujillo promised a better D.R., but failed to so. Rafael Trujillo was just another power hungry leader, who wanted to “leech” money out of D.R. and while doing so, he made an embarrassment out of himself in the face of the world. It was an easy task to remove a leader such as Trujillo out of power. Unlike Castro, he made the D.R. still corrupt in its own way, but left space for reform with the U.S.
A leader is both defined through the means of their actions and how much people like them when in power. Two examples of Communist leaders in history are Castro and Trujillo. Both of the leaders differentiated in many ways. While Trujillo was power and money hungry, Castro made his Cuban “empire” run in a proper Communist way. The factor that really plays the most important role in defining a leader is how big of an impact they made in this world or in their country. Castro impacted the world in a way no one ever could, while most leader just want money and power; Castro made Cuba a better country where even the toughest presidents of the U.S. are yet to make such a revolution like the one in Latin America.

I really enjoyed your post,

Submitted by dbinyaminov on Tue, 2010-10-05 09:32.

I really enjoyed your post, "What defines a true leader of a country?" because it is very detailed and informative.  I have learned a lot from reading your interesting post about leaders.  I can tell you have spent a while gathering information and forming an essay like this.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I do highly disagree with the fact that leaders are defined mostly through their media appearance rather than how they rule the country."  I think this is true because people spend most of their lives not through research of the leader himself but rather watching television and listening to the radio.  This is where people get their impression of what type of leader they have.

Another sentencve I liked was: "A leader although, not be judged for what their background is, whether rich or poor, it should not matter to anyone because either way they had the ability to be someone much more than they would be if they stayed on the same path in life of being poor."  This stood out for me because I also believe that a leader should not be judged for what they once were.

Thanks for your writing.  I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you really do a lot of research on your topic.  You make your essay/posts very interesting and detailed as well as descriptive.

Thanks David,  I am more

Submitted by CFlores on Fri, 2010-10-08 13:29.

Thanks David, 

I am more than glad that you liked or enjoyed my essay about leaders. Even though you enjoyed my essay, it is full of flaws that I need to fix, before anything. I will get to it, immediately or as soon as possible and correct doing. I know that you found the essay very interesting, but maybe the content did not fully make sense or had the appropriate structure that was to be needed. In class, this was discussed of, there is a lot to be re-done before an essay is posted again. I will make sure that this won't happen twice. Thank You for your support on my essay, even though very flawed.