What happens to children when they don't have parental support at home?

by: tygaines

My senior project topic that I am interested in is "Childhood Neglect".

I'm personally interested in this topic because I've been neglected throughout my lifetime by my parents and I would love to express myself just so I can show I overcame adversities.

I found out that a lot of parents are going to jail because of childhood neglect. Kids run away , commit murders , bully because they are ring bullied by parents , and committing suicide. I just want to do this topic because of everything that happened in my life especially let the summer with me and my younger brother.

It is unfair to the kid to be neglected. To be told that they won't make it in life at a young age while there trying to figure out who they are and what they want to be. It is truly unfair and "out of pocket". The kid is being unfairly.

People should care about this topic because that's why a lot of kids in Oakland don't do anything constructive because they don't have to parental support at home. Nobody pushing them to do good in school or even in life. Parents are screwing up kids life for no reason just for there own sake.

General Discussion

dvorwyat's picture
Submitted by dvorwyat on Tue, 2013-10-22 10:55.

Dear, Tygaines

I am astonished with your post "Childhood Neglect" because I didn't know that children did all these things because of neglect. I can't believe that parents with children do not always try their hardest to let their kid have the best opportunities possible.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is"Kids run away, commit murders, bully because they are ring bullied by their parents, and committing suicide.". I think this is depressing because the kids could have normal lives to live. They can not have normal life's though because of bad influences and abuse from bully's and parents.

Another sentence that I read was "To be told they will not make it in life at a young age while they are trying to figure out who they are and what they want to be.". This stood out for me because I am figuring out who I am. Also if the kid is being unfairly treated then they could make a bad decision and turn their life upside down.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my newborn called me mean things that I did not appreciate. I hated the way it made me feel and I hope I never feel it again. He pushed me and called me stupid and I was only 8 years old and I felt like hurting someone mostly him because of it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it really touched me. I think that a lot of kids can relate to it happening to them too.

ChildhoodNeglect

Submitted by Sepii on Mon, 2013-10-07 13:46.

Dear Tygaines,

I am happy with your post “Childhood Neglect” you explain that you were neglected by your parents and you can understand what children being neglected feels like. This shows that you can relate to them and actually understand how it feels to be in their shoes. One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is “Kids run away , commit murders , bully because they are ring bullied by parents , and committing suicide.” I think this is touching because it is actually true and happens every day to many children. Another sentence that I loved was “It is unfair to the kid to be neglected.” This stood out to me because the child did not do anything to the parents for them to neglect them and if they did, the parents are supposed to be the mature one and know the children makes mistakes and nobodies perfect. I do strongly agree with you that parents are messing up children's lives by neglecting them, one reason I say this is because children that has been neglected in their life by their parents has has a bad future because they didn't get the love and support from parents when it was needed the most. Another reason I agree with you is that children are young, wild, and if there is nobody holding a grip on them or is not telling them that they can do better than what they are doing will not have as much as people who parents are supporting them and telling them good from bad. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have been through childhood neglect and I would love to hear more from you about what happened to you and how you handled your situation.

Childhood Neglect

RichStrehl's picture
Submitted by RichStrehl on Tue, 2013-10-08 14:58.

This is very interesting to learn about especially because you've had to deal with this in your lifetime and I am very sorry for that. Thank you for educating me about childhood Neglect and I wish you well on further discussions.

Childhood Neglect

Submitted by tduong on Tue, 2013-10-15 00:08.

Dear Tygaines,

It seems that you are very interested in studying about "Childhood Neglect" because of your personal experience and how it has affected you and your younger brother. Also, from your posting, I have learned that you want to speak out for the teens in Oakland because many of them do face neglect but not many will speak out about it since it is a really sensitive topic. It is overwhelming and scary to speak about your life when it's being shared out into the social network community where you may not know everyone.

What interests me about your topic is that you're showing others why many Oakland teenagers are the way they are. You're helping others see Oakland teens in a positive way. I can connect with this because I'm also a teen from the community of Oakland and I would like to learn more about why our teens act that way.

Your topic is a great choice, but I feel like it's too broad. Are you focusing on all Oakland teens or are you going to pick a specific ethnicity to focus on? To further your research you should reach out to teens in the community and survey them about their childhood and whether or not their guardian(s) had neglected them when they were growing up. Also, you should considering asking these questions when you do your research: why are their guardian(s) neglecting them? Is there an emotional or physical factor causing the guardian(s) to act that way? Aside from running away, bullying, and committing suicide, does neglect affect them in any other way?

I hope your research and senior project goes well. Goodluck!

Brave topic!

Submitted by Ms. Shafer on Fri, 2013-11-15 10:20.

Tyronne,

Thank you for taking on such a serious topic and one that is so near and dear to you and your brother.

If you want some help thinking of ways to tie your project into some newspaper articles that will help you double the reward for the hard work you will do, let me know. 

One thing that has always amazed and sickened me about this topic is how when an animal is neglected, the attendtion from the media and the public outcry is HUGE. Children -- and in particular minority children -- don't seem to get the same level of media attention or response. 

Miss Shafer

Response to Senior Project from NWP

Submitted by Heather OLoughlin on Thu, 2013-11-21 15:57.

Dear Tygaines,

I am interested with your senior research topic of the affect on children that don't have parental guidance at home .  This struck a cord with me because I am a teacher and a mother .  I see on a daily basis how a home that has parents that have little interest affects a students success at school.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is "that you have been neglected throughout your lifetime". I think this is tragic because every child deserves to life in an environment that is loving and caring.  It is great that you are exploring this at a young age and looking for things that can help you understand how to make the best of the situation that you have.

Your post reminds me of my students that I have in my classroom.  As a teacher, I try to guide them and give them the tools to become a strong independent person.  You learn to take lemons and make lemonade with them.  

Thanks for your writing  I look forward to seeing what you write next because I can't wait to see what your resolution to your question .

Regards,

Heather OLoughlin

Childhood Neglect

Submitted by racheldiaz on Thu, 2014-06-19 09:32.

Dear Tyronne:

I read your post about what happens to children when they don't have parental support at home.

I am also interested in your senior project topic " child neglect", because i feel most kids in the state are being neglected by there parents.

one sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: " parents are screwing up kids life for no reason just for there own sake. i think this is true because i know alot of kids do what they want when they want like for example, one of my friends parent beat for no reason , slam her head to the wall just because they don't feel right about there self and wanna take it out of there own children.

another sentence that stand out for me is " it is truly unfair & out of pocket". this stood out for me because i feel parents shouldn't beat & hit there kids for no reason. i believe that they should treat there child with love & not like there dogs.

i do agree with that people should care about this topic. one reason i say this because i know kids or maybe even other kids even hurt there self because the way there parents treat them . another reason i agree with you is because i believe kids should be treated with respect and love so when they turn kids with love and respect.

thanks for your writing. i look forward to seeing what you write next,because how was your senior project went & what other people think about childhood neglect.