What is Love?

Why do people fall in love? (love, chemicals in brain, history of romance,shakespeare, mythology, attachment, fate, destiny)

I chose this question because I am currently reading Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare and the idea that Juliet is in love with Romeo intrigues me. Often as human beings we say “oh I love you so much” or “I am in love this time” but what really is “love” and what causes it? Is it fate or destiny or is it chemicals in our brains? What makes us attach to one person and can “love” happen with only a single individual or is there such a thing as one true love. I am interested in this topic because love itself has been discussed, written about, cried about for hundreds of years. Love is not a new thing- it is the reason many live- so where did it start? I am curious because love is not only just in humans either. Penguins find one mate and stick to them for their entire life: is that love or just attachment? There are stories of dogs saving their masters life. Is that love? Or is it just being a faithful companion- and could love be defined as being attacked and faithful? I am curious to finding out what is behind love and why people have been infatuated with it for years. Shakespeare, Dickinson, and millions of other authors and playwrights have been trying to define what love is for centuries and just more recently scientists have been trying to answer the question as well.

One website states that love is a combinations of chemistry, attachment, loyalty and companionship and it says that love cannot be bought or even earned but given. Although this was interesting, this is not what I wanted. I want to know why people fall in love. Another website (Discovery Health) states why people seek out love and that is because the only way to have a satisfying life: “One of the ways we accomplish this is through our relationships with other people. We have learned in our research that it is important to feel that you have the ability to be an effective person, especially in our relationships.” (Discovery Health)

“http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/love-without-limits/201111/what-is-love

What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more.

Submitted by krose on Thu, 2012-09-13 09:50.

The very idea of love is a very intriguing topic indeed, because rare are the people who claim to have never experienced love. After all, like you said, "Love is not a new thing- it is the reason many live..." I find that very true today. Love has withstood the test of time and finds its way into modern media still.

I saw a video on ted.com that addresses your question thoroughly, and I think you'd like that since you seem genuinely interested in the subject. Unfortunately I tried to find the exact video, but there are multiple lectures on the subject.

I feel like I never see you anymore, and I'd be totally into talking about love, life, and our old chemistry class with you, Jenna. I find great interest in these neurobiologic topics, and finding out why people act the way they do.