What Is Magic?

by: rvlas

Performing magic involves use of supernatural powers to getting things done. The procedure of magic usually involves use of chants and spells, gestures or actions designated towards an object or situation. Magic has its roots very deep in the past and it has been there at every stage of human evolution.

2700 BCE - The reputed first known performance of a conjuring effect cups and balls by the magician Dedi in ancient Egypt. Dedi had done other effects such as decapitating a birds head and reattach the head resurrecting it. This is disputed as there is nothing in the reference to Dedi, specifically in the Westcar Papyrus, to indicate that he did the cups and balls for anyone. The famous drawing of two men performing the cups and balls, from the tomb and Beni Hasan is believed by most experts to be bakers making bread with bread molds.  Magic has evolved a lot from then and diversed a lot and there are different tipes of magic like:

Homeopathic Magic is based on the assumption that like produces like. It means that if some form of action is performed on something, it will have a same impact on the intended real thing.

Sympathetic Magic on the core principle that if it is performed on some objects, the same would happen to the person or object which is under influence. The relation is made between the objects based on the presumption that one can influence something based on the attachment.

Contagious magic supports the notion that if a person has contact with certain things, they will influence the person who is under contact with those things. The most common example of this type of magic can be seen in use of voodoo dolls. Voodoo dolls are attached with a part of fingernails, hair or teeth of the targeted person. The voodoo doll, then is assumed to be the person himself and it can be used of to hurt the victim. This type of magic falls under black magic, since it is practiced to cause harm or injury to others

There are also some terms related to magic like:

Divination-seeing or predicting things under divine influence and intervention

Occult- means beyond ordinary understand and which is difficult and hidden to see. Chaldean, in the occult philosophy is referred to the person skilled in occult learning. And other more.

Magic has been around for thousands of years and has played a role in our development and may have a deeper mening than we think. Very advanced technologies or anithing that we cannot understand is considered magic.

Ancient Egypt

djoseph's picture
Submitted by djoseph on Tue, 2013-12-03 09:20.

Dear Raul:
I am eager about your post what is magic because Performing magic involves use of supernatural powers to getting things done. The procedure of magic usually involves use of chants and spells, gestures or actions designated towards an object or situation. Magic has its roots very deep in the past and it has been there at every stage of human evolution.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This is disputed as there is nothing in the reference to Dedi, specifically in the West car Papyrus, to indicate that he did the cups and balls for anyone.” I think this is great because Sympathetic Magic on the core principle that if it is performed on some objects, the same would happen to the person or object which is under influence. The relation is made between the objects based on the presumption that one can influence something based on the attachment.
Another paragraph that I am excited by is: “Contagious magic supports the notion that if a person has contact with certain things, they will influence the person who is under contact with those things. The most common example of this type of magic can be seen in use of voodoo dolls. Voodoo dolls are attached with a part of fingernails, hair or teeth of the targeted person. The voodoo doll, then is assumed to be the person himself and it can be used of to hurt the victim. This type of magic falls under black magic, since it is practiced to cause harm or injury to others.” This stood out for me because I heard about it because my grandfather sometime read Egypt books ever time i read.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my mom said do want to see a magic trick and then i said yes then she said i am looking for a 25 cents and she said ooh it is behind my eye.
I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I am interesting and I like Egypt.

Ancient Magic

Submitted by vfarmer on Tue, 2013-12-03 10:04.

Dear, Raul

I am astonished by your post about What is magic? because magic has been around for many years and we have benefited from it and learned from it the things we can't understand is magic and that is very cool to me, magic has improved and upgraded in the past years with magic shows, magicians etc, all im saying is that magic means a lot to me.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “Magic has its roots very deep in the past and it has been there at every stage of human evolution.” I think this is cool because i really didn't know magic has been here for many, many, years so its cool for me to know and understand magic.

Another sentence that i read “The most common example of this type of magic can be seen in use of voodoo dolls.” This stood out for me because i was really interested in learning how voodoo works and what it is “ NOT THAT I WOULD DO ANY OF THAT” but now i know how it works.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me ,One time i was at a party for my little cousin and they had ordered uncle magic he is a magician for kids but i was about 4 or 5 and i knew his name but i did not know what magic was? so he came and he came up to me first and he took out a 1 dollar bill and i what are you doing uncle magic and he said just watch and the dropped it and it was floating in the air and he said “ you know what you call that…... magic”.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because …. i would love to see more of you writing about magic and what it does for people in the world and how it works.

Dear Raul: I am surprised

RMorales's picture
Submitted by RMorales on Fri, 2013-12-06 09:28.

Dear Raul:

I am surprised about your post “What Is Magic?” because I didn't even knew that Egyptians used magic in the B.C to get some things done like you said “The reputed first known performance of a conjuring effect cups and balls by the magician Dedi in ancient Egypt. Dedi had done other effects such as decapitating a birds head and reattach the head resurrecting it.”

one sentence you wrote that stands out me is “Magic has been around for thousands of years and has played a role in our development and may have a deeper meaning than we think.”This stood out for me because magic is about satanic things and that really is not a good thing to do unless is not satanic or other thing related to that.

Another sentence that stands out of me is Performing magic involves use of supernatural powers because supernatural contains things about ghost and who would work on that.

Your post reminds me of a movie I saw I forgot the name bout i know what happened.At the begging a boy loved a girl and the girl dint loved him the boy started doing magic and by saying that i mean satanic things then weeks of doing that the boy turned into a big alligator and star killing people.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i really like doing work on this types of things and mysteries.

Ancient Egypt and Magic

mortiz's picture
Submitted by mortiz on Tue, 2013-12-10 12:39.

I am so excited with your post because I learned more about ancient Egypt and “magic”. Like in 2700 BCE The reputed first known performance of a conjuring effect cups and balls by the magician Dedi in ancient Egypt.

One sentence you wrote that's stands out for me is Homeopathic Magic is based on the assumption that like produces like. It means that if some form of action is performed on something, it will have a same impact on the intended real thing.

Another sentence that I liked is Sympathetic Magic on the core principle that if it is performed on some objects, the same would happen to the person or object which is under influence.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I did a magic trick called the kissing card trick, the person writes their on the card, they both turn their cards into a square and puts it in their mouths, then they kiss and the cards will switch.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like magic and Egypt and I will love to learn more about those two topics.

Magic

nburton's picture
Submitted by nburton on Mon, 2013-12-16 09:34.

Dear Raul

I am Noah Burton I'm in the 6th grade I enjoyed reading your essay about the different types of magic because I did not know that by using a hair or nails you can harm a person with contagious magic .

I thought this caught my attention because I did not realized so much was involved in magic like super natural powers chants and spells

This stood out for me because I was very surprised to learn that magic has been around for thousands of years and that it played a role in our development and may have a deeper meaning than we thought.

I remember my mom was waiting to get her pay check and I went with her to the mailroom to check the mail and I believe I reformed divination because waved my fingers in front of our mailbox and chanted the words MONEY.Shortly after my mom opened the mailbox she noticed she received her paycheck.

Thank you for teaching me the different types of magic I learned that magic can be used In many different ways and there are different names for different magic.I am looking forward to seeing what you write next because your essay was very informative. Also very interesting looking forward for it next essay

my comment to Raul

Submitted by jcuevas on Mon, 2013-12-16 09:41.

Dear Raul:

I am delighted by your post, “What is Magic?” because i like the way you put the story about the magic i really don’t believe in magic, but when you put the explanation i think that you made me believe that magic is more useful than any other thing because when you said performing magic involves using supernatural powers i thought that it is like using regular stuff to get things done.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Performing magic involves use of supernatural powers to getting things done.” I think this is confusing because how can people use magic to get things done.

Another sentence that I liked was The reputed first known performance of a conjuring effect cups and balls by the magician Dedi in ancient Egypt. Dedi had done other effects such as decapitating a birds head and reattach the head resurrecting it. This is disputed as there is nothing in the reference to Dedi, specifically in the Westcar Papyrus, to indicate that he did the cups and balls for anyone. because it makes me think THAT people don’t believe in magic.

I thought that everyone didn’t really know that people used magic just to do simple things like to clean the house up and to cook food and to help other in need of help because sometimes people use magic to kill people and to be a hero. i like the way you put the stuff about magic and the way you put how the people to believe in magic.

Dear, Rvlas Is it true that

jperez's picture
Submitted by jperez on Tue, 2013-12-17 12:55.

Dear, Rvlas

Is it true that magic involves supernatural powers in order to get things done. Also does magic need use of chants and spells. Does it also involve gestures and actions towards an object or situation. There WAS A MAGICIAN CALLED DEDI HE USE TO DISCONNECT ANIMAL HEADS AND AND REATTACH THEIR HEADS. He also new how to conjecture the effects with the cups and balls.

Comment to what is magic

grodriguez's picture
Submitted by grodriguez on Wed, 2013-12-18 10:34.

Dear:Rvlas

I am overwhelmed with your post What is magic because I learned more information about magic. This post is really interesting I thought magic was an illusion I am starting to think it is real. I never thought I would see a post about what is magic I thought i knew but now I don't think so.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Very advanced technologies or anything that we cannot understand is considered magic. I think this is interesting because I never knew that was considered magic. Never thought it would be advanced technology that would be considered as magic. I thought it would be mirrors or something to make an illusion.

Another sentence that I seen was “performing magic involves use of supernatural powers to getting things done”. I think this stood out for me because it is the most important thing. It is the most important thing because it says exactly what you need to use magic.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. It reminds me of thinking that magic real and not an illusion. I use to think magic was real because this show shows magicians doing magic. I seen them disappearing and going through walls and stuff it was crazy as heck.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this is very interesting read. You will probably be a famous author one day. You should write more stories they will be interesting to read.

I learned a lot about the history of magic

Submitted by jcuevas on Wed, 2013-12-18 11:00.

Dear Raul:

Another sentence that I liked was: “The reputed first known performance of a conjuring effect cups and balls by the magician Dedi in ancient Egypt.” This stood out for me because