What is in my name?

Part 1: The poem

I am Ni Zhihong
Ni, my surname inherited from my family.
….Grandfather, father, me.
Zhihong, given by my grandfather
who was a Chinese teacher.
志(Zhi) for 立志(decide to do, make up one’s mind).
鸿(Hong) for 鸿雁(swan).
Aim to fly high and far like a swan - make a grand enterprise in the future.
This is my grandfather’s hope.
Hong, usually use for mother, Zhi, for some people.
My old classmates :”big head” sometimes.
And people who don’t know me, ”sir, a man with blue jacket,” something description.
To me, l like the meaning of my name.
I am 倪志鸿.

Part 2: Personal Essay

My name is Ni Zhihong. My surname, Ni came from my family and Zhihong was given by my grandfather who was a Chinese teacher.

In China, the name they give to you must mean something. My grandfather told me”志, zhi, means 立志 decide to do, make up one’s mind, 鸿, Hong, means 鸿雁 swan. I hope you could fly high and far like a swan, not like a little bird. This means he hopes I could make a grand enterprise when I grow up. I felt that he is very happy to explain this to me and he actually was. A speech suddenly came to my mind when I heard that. “燕雀安知鸿鹄之志哉” How can a sparrow know the will of a swan. This puts the swan as a hero. how can an ordinary person know the thoughts of a hero. The Swan is great, I think to myself.

In middle school, many people called me big head. sometimes, they would say “big head son.” The reason was there was a cartoon named “big head son and small head father.” We were in military training first week of middle school. One day, the person who stood beside me turned his face toward to me and said, “Your head is big.” I did not answer him. He always repeated the claim at that time so that whole class knew. Even later, when he no longer said it, it was still rooted in people’s minds. Da tou, big head, they often said. We were starting to learn English, and these were 3 or 4 lesson that taught us how to describe a person. Of course, big head was part of the lesson. After that they changed “Da tou” to “big head.” It was very popular after that.

When I was little, my grandmother often called me” Ah, hong.” For my mother, she used “hong” all the time. Most of my friend call “Zhihong.” My last name Ni, the sound of it similar to knee so some people might call me that.

I think all of our other names (except the bad name) exist for friends. It shows we are close. Anyway, I like my name.

what's a name comment

usama.muraad's picture
Submitted by usama.muraad on Thu, 2015-01-08 23:14.

Dear Ni Zhihong,

I am interested in how many of your family member have carry the same name as you because carry a family name is like special and when you became famous like how do in school and getting in to honor role. Make your family proud is thing what every good student would like have.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is " My grandfather told me”志, zhi, means 立志 decide to do, make up one’s mind, 鸿, Hong, means 鸿雁 swan. I hope you could fly high and far like a swan, not like a little bird. I think this quote is really tell what you been doing. You have been following what your grandfather said to you. I really like how you said,I hope you could fly high and far like a swan, not like a little bird. This line really tell the difference between the student who failing the class and the student who been on their top of game getting honor role in every marking period.

Your writing reminds me of something that happened to me. The end of your Essay you said I think all of our other names (except the bad name) exist for friends. It shows we are close. Anyway, I like my name. The same thing happen to me like when I was in Georgia every time when the teacher or the coach call my name for attendance other student would think the name of osama bin laden, but when ever if some random person would say this name or make joke of it I would just laugh with them.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you don't really tell these kind of story in journal like to your friend but for real you got some really interesting story to tell by these kind of story a lot people would like you and not make fun you. You just got to make some friend who you can say anything you want.

nice job

Submitted by maria on Sun, 2015-01-11 19:34.

Dear Ni Zhihong Ni

I am so excited about your whiting because that's so interesting for ne because you white is so funny and sometimes sad. 

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Aim to fly high and far like a swan - make a grand enterprise in the future.I think this is interesting because that true and you did it alredy because you are a part of the future now.

Your writing reminds me of something that happened to me. One time that my friend said that I'm smart but the only thing I do is my job and I just do my  homework and that it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because everything you writing it interesting for me.