What is Your New Years' Resolution ?

by: monotone4

The New years resolution. Every year countless individuals pledge to do or stop doing starting the beginning of every new year. As it is only the January 2nd many are still in committed state of this pledging craze.Often you hear " I will pledge to lose 100 pounds by the end of this year "," I will quit smoking this year" or " I will be become a better parent to my children this year". Everyone believes they can do it, make it to the finish line thinner, happier, drug-free, ending the the proposed twelve months of hard work a better person.Many think " it is only twelve months" reflecting on how fast last year seemed to melt away.Then, reality sets in and the resolution in some cases in flushed down the tubes of life soon after.Of the "40 to 45% of American adult make one or more resolutions each year"(Norcross,et. al.) only 64% of resolutions are maintained, further dwindling to 46% after six months.
If these resolutions set January 1st have less than 50% percent chance of lasting until January 31stthen why do people try to make them with each coming year?"While a lot of people who make new years resolutions do break them, research shows that making resolutions is useful. People who explicitly make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who don't explicitly make resolutions"(Norcross,et. al.). This means that despite the lack of ability many might have to achieve a resolution within the strict confines of a year, over the course of multiple years or over a lifetime, individual will be more likely to achieve their aspirations that other that never make them.Overall, these statical observations show the importance of making resolutions and making personal goals for oneself in order to be able to successfully attain them later. So when you or someone you know feels bad about flushing their New Years' resolutions away remember that even if can't achieve your aspirations now you might have high probability of attaining them in your lifetime

Link: http://proactivechange.com/resolutions/statistics.htm