What's the difference between loving someone and being in love?

by: zhajen

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been the difference between loving someone and being in love with them. I remember this girl talking about it when she posted it up in Facebook, but I wasn’t able to learn from it because everyone had different opinions. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that people may feel that this issue isn’t much of a big deal, but it probably is to those who believe in love. From what I have heard, there’s a difference about it. For example, I heard that loving someone is like a family member, while being in love is when all you want to do is spend time with a certain person. Now that’s just what I’ve heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about loving someone and being in love with them is that you still giving love to someone even if it has a different meaning. Now, I've studied my share of information and there’s a lot of debates over it. Personally, it’s funny to me how everyone says that loving someone and being in love leads you to love and there’s no point of figuring out the difference since you still love that one.

The difference between loving someone and being in love with them wasn’t that important because everyone thought it was the same thing. There wasn’t that one person who would bring the topic as much compared to now, when everyone talks about it. People have stated that you must define love and then define the difference between them. It’s something like this, everything starts with being in love, which then could potentially make you fall in love with someone.

Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on the difference between loving someone and being in love with them, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relationships/difference-between-loving-som.... This article provided a lot of information and opinions on the difference between it. Some people felt that you first had to define what love is, then it will help one understand the difference between it. “In love.. Your IN it for the long run, you’re not just sitting there your interacting to keep it, You are trying, Your mind is IN it your soul is IN it your body is IN it. [sic]” This statement didn’t really surprise me all the much because, but it did make me feel glad it was said. Am glad this was told because to be honest few people forget about this. They think they in love just because they been together for what a few weeks and this will lead them to forever. I mean does in love know that they have to know how to forgive and be able to deal with any obstacle together. It’s a moment where you are ready to say yes I'm ready to be with you for the rest of my life time. It’s like marriage.

In another comment, (http://www.fanpop.com/spots/love/answers/show/2785/whats-difference-betw... )there was this one statement that made me shake my head in disagreement with the writer’s opinion. It was: “Also, being in love is usually just in the beginning (of a relationship) while loving someone can last forever.” This is so untrue because if you go back and think about you will always hear or see people say they love someone when really it probably just an admiration. They believe they in love and being in love is lasting forever. This includes loving that person and actually wanting something more than just feeling it, but going through it.

All of this makes me think that there will never actually be an exact answer to this question. It will actually remain unknown. The answer to this question is just within each person’s opinion. The difference between loving someone and being in love will remain imperfectly answered to everyone, unless you most know it which I believe it impossible.

What's Love?

Submitted by turake on Mon, 2012-03-05 11:21.

Dear Jenny:

I loved your post, “What’s the difference between loving someone and being in love?,” because love is a very controversial topic and needs to be redefined. It’s amazing to know that you believe in love and that you know that there is a definite line between the love that one has for their family and their significant other. You have a great mind-set about the difference between loving someone and being in love,for you know that there is a major difference. Many people are helpless romantics and they “fall in love” every time they enter a new relationship. These people tend to overuse the word “love” because they do not know the true meaning. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: “People have stated that you must define love and then define the difference between them.” I think this is important because I feel that love is much more than a verb or feelings;instead, love is a commitment that bounds you to another person’s heart. This commitment shows that you will cherish, care, and support that person through anything that may happen. .

Another sentence that I found interesting was: “It’s something like this, everything starts with being in love, which then could potentially make you fall in love with someone.” This stood out for me because I think this something that many need to consider. A lot of people do not realize that when they tell someone “I love you”, they are ensuring their loyalty to someone. I agree that in every strong relationship there is a feeling of “love”, but it is only after a long period of time,struggles, and disagreements that the couple can fall IN love with one another.

Your post reminds me of ex-boyfriend. One time when I was on the phone with him, he told me: “Akella, I love you”. I told him to stop playing because we had only been dating for exactly one week. How could he truly love me if we had only been together for a short period of time? I believe that just because you are in a relationship, it does not mean you have to fall in love with that person.

Thanks for you writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your topic is something that I can closely relate to. I hope other couples start to question their feelings towards one another. They need to realize that if they cannot find themselves to be IN LOVE with their significant other, then they must end their relationship because it is not worth holding on to. I cannot wait to see your progress and how your view on “love” may alter as you mature.

Love it!!!!!!!!

Submitted by feryen on Tue, 2012-03-06 21:35.

Dear Jennifer:

I loved you post, “What's the difference between loving someone and being in love?,” because it’s a topic that diversely has different opinions ; it’s true what you say that many people may think “loving someone and being in love” are the same thing, but I am strongly agree with you that it has different meaning when you said “loving someone is like a family member, while being in love is when all you want to do is spend time with a certain person.” One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “loving someone and being in love leads you to love.” I think this is agreeable because it’s true that when you loving someone or being in love it will always lead us to the word love that for sure it completely difference from both of your statements.

Another sentence that I loved was: “in love know that they have to know how to forgive and be able to deal with any obstacle together.” This stood out for me because it’s like a unexplainable relationship you can have with a certain person that you know it’s always going to forgive and be able to face the bad and good things that occur between them.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your topic was something that many people still have controversially opinions on and as well still figuring out the difference between being love and loving someone.

Submitted by reywin on Fri, 2012-03-09 18:49.

Dear zhajen,

I enjoyed reading your post, “What's the difference between loving someone and being in love?,” because sometimes I had asked myself that same question, but I could tell the different between both loving someone and being in love. One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is: “For example, I heard that loving someone is like a family member, while being in love is when all you want to do is spend time with a certain person.” I agree with you in this quote because I had heard the same thing but sometimes I just wonder and think because in a way it’s like the same thing when you are loving something you want to be with them just like when you in love you want to be with them too. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “One thing that I know for sure about loving someone and being in love with them is that you still giving love to someone even if it has a different meaning.” This stood out for me because is true that you could be in love and love someone but what they have in common is that they are loving something still even if it means something else.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoyed reading your post and I know for sure I will enjoyed reading other posts from you.

Great Post :)

Submitted by lirkry on Sat, 2012-03-10 10:38.

Dear Jennifer,

I loved your post “What’s the difference between loving someone and being on love?” because it is a very confusing topic that no one really knows. Personally, I believe there’s a small distance between loving someone and actually being in love. That distance is called commitment, and for some, this distance might be extremely long. If you feel completely loyal and committed to that one person, then you are in love. One sentence in your post that stood out to me was: ‘ “In love.. Your IN it for the long run, you’re not just sitting there your interacting to keep it, You are trying, Your mind is IN it your soul is IN it your body is IN it.”’ I completely agree with this because being in love means your willing to go through thick and thin with that person.

Another sentence that stood out to me was: “The answer to this question is just within each person’s opinion.” This is true because many people have different opinions about love. Some people believe in it, others don’t. People that don’t believe in love are people that have trust issues, and that might not be healthy. I believe you have to open your heart in order to fall in love.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. When I first met my boyfriend, I knew he was different right away. He was sweet and actually cared about my feelings and opinions. Later on in the relationship I learned to trust him with all my secrets and feelings. I can say I am honestly in love with him. People might disagree since we are so young, yet love can happened at any age if you let it.

Thanks for writing. You seem to ask a lot of questions teenagers are wondering too. I hope to hear more from you!

There's a difference.

Submitted by rodzul on Tue, 2012-03-20 21:19.

Dear Jennifer,
I absolutely loved reading your post “What's the difference between loving someone and being in love?.” I honestly think there is a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. I think loving someone has to do with you caring about someone special to you like close friends and family members. While, being in love with someone is referred to loving a specific single person you would be with the rest of your life. When you are in love with someone you would do anything for that person, being in love is a different type of love a person feels. It’s a different type of feeling you feel towards a person. I think one could tell the difference of being in love and loving someone. In my opinion everyone loves someone but not everyone is in love with someone. One sentence you wrote that stood out for me was: “From what I have heard, there’s a difference about it. For example, I heard that loving someone is like a family member, while being in love is when all you want to do is spend time with a certain person.” I agree with this statement because I do think there is a difference between the two.

Another sentence that I found interesting was: “From what I have heard, there’s a difference about it. For example, I heard that loving someone is like a family member, while being in love is when all you want to do is spend time with a certain person.” This stood out for me because although I believe there is a difference in love and being in love some people don’t believe in neither one. People might disagree because they might not believe in the word “love.” It’s hard to define it, I guess peoples opinion affects the answer to this question. There might not ever be an agreement or an actual answer to this question.

Your post reminds me of myself and my opinions. When someone asks what my bestfriend means to me, I say she’s some dear and special to me and that I love her like family, like a close friend. That’s why I believe there’s a difference between being in love and loving someone.

Thanks for your writing, I enjoyed your post and I look forward to see what you write next.

whats love?

Submitted by gorsha on Tue, 2013-04-16 13:13.

Dear Zhajen:
I love your post, "What the difference of loving someone and being in love," because It’s amazing to know that you believe in love and that you know that there is a definite line between the love that one has for their family and their significant other. You have a great mind-set about the difference between loving someone and being in love,for you know that there is a major difference.

Another sentence that I found interesting was: “It’s something like this, everything starts with being in love, which then could potentially make you fall in love with someone.” This stood out for me because I think this something that many need to consider. A lot of people do not realize that when they tell someone “I love you”, they are ensuring their loyalty to someone. I agree that in every strong relationship there is a feeling of love.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your topic is something that I can closely relate to. I hope other couples start to question their feelings towards one another. They need to realize that if they cannot find themselves to be in love with their significant other, then they must end their relationship because.