What's it take to make it in the pros as a rugby player?

by: totuafi

I am interested in rugby because I have a passion and heart for it. Rugby isn't for anybody who quits and doesn't work hard,because hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard.As a young Tongan man I grow up in a culture where Rugby is the life of our people. we are naturally fast learners in this game, we talk about rugby everywhere we go.Rugby is a sport handed down from generations of Ruggers (rugby players), as a gift to the youths of our people.

I am personally interested in the topic of Rugby because I have a personal history with the sport.I started by just passing a ball around. Then I started playing touch rugby, then I started playing the sport for a team called the Oakland Warthogs. this experience changed me it gave me a love for the sport. I just loved the feeling of being in the game, the feeling you get when you run the ball and truck somebody or when you tackle someone bigger than you .

I learned that even if you make it pro you won't have a guarantee for a high paying team, because it depends on the wealth of your team you're playing for. I still want to make it to the pros though even if I play for one of the poorer teams.My topic has not changed because I also found out that the richer teams also get to pick their schedules.Most of the richer teams have influence on their schedules or at least get to pick a team they play.

My topic is about an unfairness because their are those teams who don't get a say in who they play while those who are more richer get a say in the teams they play.the lesser fortunate teams are being treated unfairly because they aren't as wealthy this is a time where money speaks.Although some teams are more wealthy they still might not always have a say in the choosing their schedule.This shows their is a slight chance that the richer teams might not always have influence even with their financial status.

People should care about this sport because this is one of the least talked about sport in America yet there is a percentage of polynesians. Rugby in the islands is like the football of america.We have a great impact on football because every team I've ever seen has always made the players that were poly start.

It seems like you are very

Submitted by jlathung on Sun, 2013-10-13 19:48.

It seems like you are very interested in rugby, especially since it's a true passion of yours. Not many young people around Oakland have a passion that in considered positive in our society today, and it's a good thing that you have.

What really caught my attention in your posting is your argument that wealthier rugby teams have more influence on the game itself. Strangely, I am not surprised that this is the case. We live in an urban area where families are definitely not high-middle class or above. Wealthier people tend to have a bigger influence on whatever it is, and they do tend to get all the advantages but maybe that's because people have higher expectations of them to become bigger and greater than those living in urban areas like ours.

Another thing that caught my attention was the fact that you brought up how rugby is the life for Tongans, and that the skills necessary for this sport and the passion for this sport is passed down from generation to generation. That right there demonstrates the hard work and involvement Tongan adults are with the youth.

All in all, I really am interested in what else you could include with your research. Near the end of the posting is when you bring up the inequality of rugby by having wealth give certain teams advantages over others. It'd be great if you could do some research on what race is predominant in the wealthier rugby teams and which areas they come from, what other ways to they demonstrate their advantages with their wealth, how does that negatively affect those that don't have as much money or power, what race is predominant in the poorer rugby teams. Good job and keep up the good work Tevita! Also, for any next postings look over what you type before submitting it. I didn't have trouble reading your posting but it'd be good practice to start proofreading anything you type because there are a few grammar mistakes and spelling errors.

It seem that you are very

Submitted by eflood on Fri, 2013-11-01 13:14.

It seem that you are very interested in studying Rugby. Your topic is interesting because I really don't know anything about Rugby so its cool to be able to learn about it. I can tell that you are very passionate about Rugby. I like how you explained that it connects you to your ancestors, that makes the your topic even more powerful.

Playing with heart

JHernandez's picture
Submitted by JHernandez on Tue, 2013-12-10 15:24.

Dear Tevita:

I am interested in rugby because I have a passion and heart for it. Rugby isn't for anybody who quits and doesn't work hard,because hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. About your poem What's it take to make it in the pros as a rugby player? “Because  As a young Tongan man I grow up in a culture where Rugby is the life of our people. we are naturally fast learners in this game, we talk about rugby everywhere we go.Rugby is a sport handed down from generations of Ruggers (rugby players), as a gift to the youths of our people.”

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: when u play like a team no matter what u lose or win you still a team. I think this is wonderful because people get to tackle other people and it make you get you anger out instead of fighting them you get to drop them down.

Another sentence that I liked was: “People should care about this sport because this is one of the least talked about sport in America yet there is a percentage of Polynesians. Rugby in the islands is like the football of america.We have a great impact on football because every team I've ever seen has always made the players that were poly start. “ This stood out for me because I don't like when they want to hurt the other player when they good at it. agree with you that One reason I say this is that people could get hurt then they might break something like my team one girl got step on her leg and it was bad. Another reason I agree with you is that you have to play with heart and don't let them hurt you.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I am personally interested in the topic of Rugby because I have a personal history with the sport.I started by just passing a ball around. explaining what will bring you back to see more about this person's thoughts.