Why is alcohol legal

by: espjos

The legalization of alcohol is very interesting because it is so controversial. If you were to ask a group of random people on the street on there opinions of alcohol you would get responses from "It is the best thing ever made." to "It is horrible as death." I believe that some people like it and some people hate it and others are just ignorant to it.
I know about this topic because I know people who use it and I have seen the effect it has on people's mind and body. Alcohol could be one of the most enjoyable substance you can take but on the other hand one of the most destructive.
There was once a time when alcohol was illegal but many problems occurred and the law was repealed. In this time " A period of time in which even the average citizen broke the law." This was because groups of people found this as a great idea to steal or produce liquor.After they would sell it because it was in such high demand and very low supply which made the profit ridiculous. "The rackets spawned by enactment of the Prohibition Amendment, illegal brewing, distilling and distribution of beer and liquor, were viewed as "growth industries." What gets me confused is that there are drugs out there that are out such as marijuana that have less effect on the human body. They also have started rings of business because it was made illegal such as alcohol. But yet drugs are still legal. And people are more money off of drugs then they were alcohol. In one article I read it said "a kilogram of cocaine worth $4000 in Colombia sold at wholesale for $30,000, and at retail in the United States for some $300,000” If the government can deal with these condition why can't they deal with the conditions in the prohibition. "Alcohol is just as potentially addictive as many illegal drugs. Those who do become addicted to alcohol often lose their marriages, jobs, families, even their lives. A large proportion of homeless people find themselves in that position as a result of their alcoholism. Any drug this addictive and destructive should be illegal."

dear Joshua i strongly agree

Submitted by kwabenas on Mon, 2012-04-16 10:15.

dear Joshua
i strongly agree with your post.This situation comes to my mind all the time.I too have seen the effects of alcohol and the outcome is always the same, throwing up,hangovers, and much more.i my self prefer smoking then drinking because of self control.if you can not control your self while taking substance then your endangering your life.

ciroc

curtisc's picture
Submitted by curtisc on Mon, 2012-04-16 11:27.

Dear Joshua
I strongly agree with you about Alcohol being controversial. in life people drink liquor to release stress , most of my life I've experienced old females and males drink everyday of their lives. My mom best friend was an alcoholic who usto drink everyday , she used her last bit of money to by E and j brandy.

One sentence that stood out for me was'" I believe that some people like it and some people hate it and others are just ignorant to it.
when I've read this I thought of all types of people like Christians and poor people. i feel like the reason poor people drink is because they deal with problems that they feel like they cant handle.

Another sentence that stood out for me was " This was because groups of people found this as a great idea to steal or produce liquor.After they would sell it because it was in such high demand and very low supply which made the profit ridiculous. " Ever sense they came up with the idea of liquor their has been saloons which can sell illegal liquor.

Your post about alcohol is an interesting topic that many people can relate too. i feel like everybody drink alcohol know and days so why stop selling it.

Thank you for writing about alcohol. sooner than later alcohol will be banned. but for know its in style.