Are All Lies All Bad?

by: otoolem16

I have always been very interested in the art of lying. Some may laugh at the fact I just referred to it as an art, but it truly is. It is something that people can be awful at or even excel in. As a younger child I was always told not to lie because it was bad and could hurt people, but as I’ve grown older it is a sad but true fact that lying is an everyday way of life. All around you people are dishonest, and sometimes for good reason. Even lying by omission was frowned upon by my parents, but isn’t there a right and wrong time to tell people things? So why do people do it?

Another aspect I want to explore is how people lie. Because like I mentioned before, it is something everyone has some experience in and there is a right way and a wrong way. Someone may be snickering while they explain something to you, but is that the tell-tale sign of a lie? We have been told many of the cues as we have gone throughout our lives, but are they even true?

I think that it is really

Submitted by Cborgialli on Fri, 2015-12-04 14:37.

I think that it is really cool that you are exploring something that is generally already excepted as bad, end of the story, no ifs, ands or buts. It is really scary to think about a society where no one questions anything and just accepts what they are told is good, bad, true, or wrong. I think you will have a lot to explore and discuss, the different types of lying was especially interesting to me. I wonder if people can learn to lie better or how they pick up the talent. I wonder if the art of lying comes with different personality types/ traits.

I agree with the idea of

Submitted by milasherman on Fri, 2015-12-11 12:25.

I agree with the idea of lying being an art, much like any other controversial ability that requires skill could become an art. Likewise, manipulation could be a talent that one could practice and refine. This, however, does not mean that these arts are necessarily morally correct or in good taste. I think that it ultimately the rectitude of the lie depends on its root interest or purpose. Some lies are necessary, based in fear and for the pursuit of protection. For instance, many abused and battered women have likely had to come up with white lies in order to protect themselves from the wrath of their husbands. However, some lies have a cruel and self serving goal in mind. Many people lie to hurt others,

I agree with the idea of

Submitted by milasherman on Fri, 2015-12-11 12:26.

I really enjoyed this post. I

Submitted by Mackenziedaily on Sat, 2015-12-12 16:19.

I really enjoyed this post. I do think lying has become more predominant in today's society, and it is almost as if it is common to lie. I feel like how kids are being raised today ling is 'socially acceptable', which is a really bad thing. Also, I think people lie so much these days that they don't even realize they are lying, it doesn't affect them in the way it should. Lying has become so natural.

I really liked your take on

Submitted by mirathompson on Sun, 2015-12-13 20:07.

I really liked your take on lying as an art. I agree that lying can be for a good reason, maybe even to protect someone. I do a lot of acting at my school, and I have found that because I have been told not to lie my whole life, it is hard for me to act sometimes, so I see where you are coming from.
I also think that it is a good idea to explore how people lie because there are certainly different types. There are, of course, good and bad lies, but there are also passive-aggressive lies and avoiding-something lies. In addition, everyone knows a different way of lying.
However, I also think that as you explore this topic, you should be very careful to not classify ALL lying as being good. In fact, a lot of the time it is used as an excuse or to spite someone, so I would just be careful about that, but otherwise I think this is a great topic.

I really liked your take on

Lying

Submitted by Max_B on Mon, 2015-12-14 14:20.

Madeline,

I think this is really cool. Even though it might sound wrong or sad, lying is in fact and art. Not everyone can do it and in order to get good at something you need to practice it. But how do you practice lying? You really can't, it is something that must come naturally. I think you make valid points and what you have to say is great. Good luck and happy writing!