Why Are People Addicted to Tattoos?

by: bhisha

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been “Weird Addictions”. Out of all the weird addictions that I’ve seen; one of them has caught my eye. The one I’ve been most interested in is how people are addicted to tattoos because I’ve always been interesting in tattoos, and I didn’t know there is an addiction to it. I learned that some people don’t like the tattoos but just like the pain. I also learned that roughly 14 percent of Americans have a tattoo, and many people think tattoos make them seem more attractive or stronger. I think other people believe that one reason people get so many tattoos is to be different from everyone else.

I really didn’t know a lot about addictions to tattoo. I actually didn’t know there was an addiction to tattoos. But, I do know a lot about other addictions that can relate to getting addicted to tattoos. For example, I could relate addiction to tattoos to addiction to drugs. One you tried it you want more of it and you’re always focused on it. Another addiction that I found that related to addiction of tattoos was an addiction of cosmetic surgery. If you get a bad tattoo you would probably want to change it. It’s the same with cosmetic surgery. People would want to change how they look, and that make you make more addicted to keep changing.

The first source I found provides a lot of information about “Why are some people addicted to tattoos?” It was the source that I got the topic from. In this source it said that “The saying goes, "Tattoos are like potato chips ... you can't have just one." I agree with this statement because to some people tattoos are a way to stand out, and that’s why they get an overwhelming amount of them. This helps me answer my question because it shows mw why people are fond of tattoos.

In my second source it also provides a lot of information on my topic. But, this source told me how people fit in by getting tattoos. In the article it stated “Some groups seem to have a preponderance of tattoos, in some cases because they are a requirement of membership and in others because they simply represent like-mindedness. This tends to be the case particularly, in prisons, biker groups or gangs where a tattoo of some kind might be mandatory.” This statement is saying that some people get tattoos so they could join gangs. I’ve seen some people with gang sign tattoos, so I have to agree with this statement.

In my third source it provides information on what tattoos people get that make them an addict. In the article it stated “Some like artwork, some wish to honor a special person, some get tattoos in order to feel a part of some specific group, some people just enjoy spending money. In other words, most people have their own individual reasons for getting tattoos, and it is almost never a matter of being "addicted" to them.” I agree with this statement because there are many reasons why people get tattoos. It may be for a family matter or a very stupid reason, but they still do get it and keep on getting more tattoos.

In my fourth source it provides information on how people use tattoos. In the article it stated “In order for someone to be considered addicted to tattoos, he or she would have to become physically or emotionally dependent on the process of tattooing. In some cases, this may happen. Some people use tattoos to dull emotional pain, for example, while others may become attached to the rush of endorphins released during the tattooing process.” I believe that tattoos are way to get rid of stress, and that’s why people are addicted to them. They are like drugs because they make you feel better about yourself in many ways.

In my fifth and final source it provides information on another reason on how people are addicted to tattoos. In the article it stated “The concept that a person gets tattoos because he or she is addicted to pain and therefore enjoys the painful process of being tattooed can only come from either the most ignorant or those who have some personal issues of their own.” This statement is saying that people are addicted to the pain of tattoos instead of tattoos itself. I agree with this statement because I read that people enjoy the pain of tattoos.

The addiction of tattoos is probably the most interesting thing I found out about. I knew that there were some weird addictions, but I would never thought of people getting addicted to tattoos. I do see some people on TV with tattoos all over their body, but I just thought they get those to stand out. This makes think about if there is a treatment for this. I think there really should because something like this can get out of control.

Colenso, Maria. “Strange Addictions: Tattoos.” Health Discovery. April 5, 2012.
http://health.discovery.com/tv/psych-week/articles/strange-addictions-08...
“The saying goes, "Tattoos are like potato chips ... you can't have just one."
“Cutting and other self-injurious behaviors can be symptoms of mental illnesses including bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.”

“15 Reasons someone could become addicted to tattoos.” April 5, 2012
http://www.newlookhouston.com/blog/2010/06/28/15-reasons-someone-could-b...
“Some groups seem to have a preponderance of tattoos, in some cases because they are a requirement of membership and in others because they simply represent like-mindedness. This tends to be the case particularly, in prisons, biker groups or gangs where a tattoo of some kind might be mandatory.”

Kandel, Elmo. “Are Tattoos An Addiction?” Article Click. April 15, 2012
http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Are-Tattoos-An-Addiction-/938603
Some like artwork, some wish to honor a special person, some get tattoos in order to feel a part of some specific group, some people just enjoy spending money. In other words, most people have their own individual reasons for getting tattoos, and it is almost never a matter of being "addicted" to them.”

“Can I Really Get Addicted to Tattoos?” Wise Geek. April 15, 2012
http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-really-get-addicted-to-tattoos.htm
In order for someone to be considered addicted to tattoos, he or she would have to become physically or emotionally dependent on the process of tattooing. In some cases, this may happen. Some people use tattoos to dull emotional pain, for example, while others may become attached to the rush of endorphins released during the tattooing process.

“Are Tattoos An Addiction?” Gtrends. March 7, 2012. April 15, 2012
http://www.gtrendsunleashed.com/articles/are-tattoos-an-addiction/
The concept that a person gets tattoos because he or she is addicted to pain and therefore enjoys the painful process of being tattooed can only come from either the most ignorant or those who have some personal issues of their own.

Dear Shaun, Your post about

caseyc's picture
Submitted by caseyc on Wed, 2012-04-25 10:59.

Dear Shaun,

Your post about tattoos was interesting to read even though in my point of view they left out some reason why people get tattoos.
Something that you said that stood out for me was "some wish to honor a special person, some get tattoos in order to feel a part of some specific group, some people just enjoy spending money." These are very true in some cases which people do get tattoos for those reasons but society lately has been stereotyping people with tattoos. That we get tattoos that mean something bad or stand for something evil and they label us as uneducated or rebels.
Another thing that you said that stood out for me was "a person gets tattoos because he or she is addicted to pain and therefore enjoys the painful process of being tattooed" Not everyone enjoys the pain, TRUST me I've seen people who have tons of tattoos and cry for each and everyone of them and with as many as tattoos that they have they are not addicted to getting tatted.
I myself have a tattoo and when people say that we are addicted towards it i say we think of our body as canvas's, it's art on our bodies. What you see as an addiction is simply our way of expressing ourselves threw ART, yes some people go overboard with it but we see things more differently than people who don't have tattoos.
I enjoyed your post about "Why are people addicted to tattoo?" hope to see more of what you write.