Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?

Why are tattoos so popular in today’s society? Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget. Others say that they feel more adventurous and don’t really have a specific reason for getting their tattoo. For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people. Some people say it is art. In an NBC News article a young man said, “Your body’s an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it.” I personally do not like tattoos and i don’t understand them. I understand the tattoos that represent a special someone or a specific time in ones life more than the ones that are there to show rebellness. Fads and styles come and go. I am not sure if tattoos will ever die down, but if they do, some people may regret getting tattoos.

Twenty-four percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; thats almost one of four. In 2011 $1.65 billion was spent in the U.S. on tattoos. Below is a link that gives further detail on statistics about tattoos in the U.S.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/tattoo-statistics/

Controversial Topic In Today's Closed-minded World

Submitted by williamo on Wed, 2012-09-12 13:21.

Dear Jackie:

I am glad that you posted such a controversial discussion such as this, because I've asked myself the same question. It's like tattoos have become a fashion statement in today's world, especially in the youth culture. Today's "so-called" role models have a big part to play in this with people like Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj the youth are slowly guided towards a never-ending spiral downhill.

I liked when you asked in your post "Why are tattoos so popular in today’s society?" this is a very good question and it's also brain stimulating, us as youth in the 21st century have become so lazy minded and I think that it's up to the few that actually don't mind having stimulating conversation to step up and mentally build with others who are only into entertainment.

I also liked how you provided statistics and links, because it may wake people up and might change their minds if they're considering getting a tattoo just for style or fad.

Your post reminds me of how I used to think when I was younger. I wasn't about following a crowd, but tattoos are something that I saw as a way of expression and I wanted to get one or two. Then I realized, the only reason why I was doing it is because I saw somebody else that did it. If I'm gonna put a tattoo on my body I want it to be genuine, something that comes from me organically.

I appreciate your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because, I really enjoy your perspective on this topic and hope to see your opinion on other things. You seem very open-minded and I like that about you.

Origin of tattoos and piercings

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 2013-07-29 16:22.

Tattoos are ancient Canaanite body desecration of the temple of God.
Just as are also piercings or any other body mutilation inspired by demons. Conducted by the terminally ignorant and/or weak minded.
Once succumbed to you, will find that the indolent souls cannot stop with just one. That same spirit will compel more and more desecration's of the physical house God gave you.
Make no mistake. You will find this out, sooner or (too) later.
It was spawned as a hate technique, against God and humanity, in the halls of hell.
Think I'm kidding or don't have a clue????
Time will surely tell won't it.

I don't think you're

Submitted by Gdogg on Fri, 2013-11-01 14:20.

I don't think you're kidding...but that thing about a clue you don't need a clue if you just make stuff up

tattoos

Submitted by AvaS on Wed, 2012-10-10 09:39.

I agree that the world is really full of tattooed people, although I don't really like them. Tattoos are really ugly, and when you get older you may regret them. Soon enough tattoos will die down, and many people will regret getting dumb tattoos. Tattoos are completely permanent, and you can't go back on what you do, so they aren't a very good idea. I don't really understand why people get tattoos, and I will probably never get one. I strongly agree with what your saying, and agree that many people will regret their decision on getting tattoos. Tattoos are only a phase and people will stop tattooing themselves sooner or later.

Why are tattoos so popular?

Submitted by AnaD on Thu, 2012-09-13 20:02.

Tattoos are gross. Why do people like to ink up their entire body? I agree with jasliwinski when he/she says that its understandable when people get a tattoo that are about a special someone or special event. But, what I dont see is why people do it for fun and just to have a PERMENANT tattoo. I think that tattoos are pointless unless they have a real reason for them. For example, if someone was to lose someone that meant a lot to them, that would be a real reason. But a lot of others are just useless. Sometimes I wonder why people want to get a tatto just for the fun of it. I don't find tattoos extremely necisarry for life.

Tattoos are popular because...

Submitted by Tattooed Youth on Sat, 2014-04-19 10:07.

I would simply like to comment on your second sentence. There are only a select few people in the world who actually want to or like "inking up their entire body". Personally, I have no interest in having only tattoos on my skin, like the Human Puzzle or Tigress (I believe that is what she calls herself). While tattoos are permanent, they tell a story about a person. And as to your last sentence, tattoos are not necessary, but if there is no other way for a person to commemorate an important moment in their life, or something that has a deep meaning to them or is for a lost loved one, then people will genuinely resort to a tattoo, because as you said, tattoos are permanent. I have two myself, and after my time in the service, I plan on getting one commemerating my time in the service. And I have an idea of what I want when I have children, if I am lucky enough to. So, instead of thinking that tattoos are gross, or thinking that there isn't a reason behind someone getting there ink, ask them. Ask them if there is a story behind their ink.

Tattoos

Submitted by RachelR on Thu, 2012-09-13 10:22.

I think that tattoos are so popular these days because if someone in someones family died its a way to remember them. Tattoos to some people can also mean something, weather its for their religion or just for something someone wanted and feels good about having. I think tattoos are growing more popular these days because people are coming up with more of a reason to get them, or want them. In my opinion, people are becoming more and more creative these days, and people want something to show that off. Some people could be getting it to support breast cancer or other illnesses or charities, others just get them to act tough. All in all people are looking for a way to express themselves and some think tattoos are the way to do it.

tattoos

Submitted by JKeller on Thu, 2012-09-13 10:30.

Dear Jackie:
curiously enough, you share the last name of a friend of mine (a mentor of sorts) named Jim who also shares some of your views on tattoos. I like your points that tattoos are appealing because they can be viewed as art or a tribute to someone or something, but i think there are is also a lot of cultural glorification of getting tattoos. You see them all over musicians, athletes, and movie stars. I think this generates a lot of appeal to young people who constantly see these people on tv and in the media. I look forward to hearing back from you. Have a great day.

Tattoos

Submitted by SamB on Thu, 2012-09-13 13:53.

Getting a tattoo isn't something people should take lightly. When you get a tattoo you are permanently inking your body, and whatever you get will never go away. I can understand getting one for a special date, reason, or person, but you will have to live with it forever. What if you get a tattoo of your husband or boyfriends name and then you break up. You will be stuck with their name on your skin for the rest of your life. A tattoo might be nice to have for awhile but not forever. When you get older and your skin starts to become wrinkly and old, your tattoo will also look wrinkly and saggy. That is disgusting. Also, the pain of getting your body inked isn't worth the outcome. If you get one, you will enjoy it for a few years, but eventually you will realize you have made a really stupid mistake with no way of reversing it. Before people decide to get a tattoo they really need to think of the future and if this really is the best idea.

Tattoos

Submitted by JuliaN on Thu, 2012-09-13 13:54.

Dear Jackie,

I agree that tattoos are ugly and a bad decision for people to make. Tattoos will just ruin your body if you decide to ink your skin. Maybe a small tattoo that represents something special in a not so showy place would be okay and not as bad. But people who just have "sleeves" or are just covered in tattoos are a disgrace to society. Who would want to go through pure pain so they can have an ugly drawing thing on their self?Honestly, nobody should ruin their natural skin and body by putting permanent tattoos on their own self. How do you think the tattoo would look like when you are 70? Don't people realize they look disgusting with tattoos? I know I wouldn't wanted to be pointed out as "Ew that girl has so many tattoos!" Tattoos are just an overall stupid choice of people who are just trying to be cool and keep up with society, but people need to realize it is not cool.

Tattoos Good or Bad

Submitted by JackS on Thu, 2012-09-13 13:57.

Personally i don't mind tattoos or the people that have them if the tattoo is meaningful. A tattoo should be something that represents something special in your life. I once knew a guy who had a tattoo of his brother because his brother had a fatal disease. That kind of tattoo is nice because it shows the love he has for his brother. Another type of tattoo could be a quote or one word that could have influenced you at some point in your life. When people have these type of tattoos I think that it is great that they would permenently put that on their body because it means that much to them.

What I don't understand is the people that are coated in useless tattoos. One tattoo can be nice but once you start getting them all down your arm and chest then it just doesn't even look good. Sometimes people get them to be rebelious but that isnt the right reason because usually when people get one they get tired of it and get another one and another. 

Like I said, I wouldn't get a tattoo unless something really great or really tragic happened to me because then it would be telling a story and that's what art is but useless junk that is just funny or rebelious is dumb and a bad way to deface your body.

Tattoos

Submitted by SaraR on Thu, 2012-09-13 13:54.

Dear Jackie,

I just read your post about tattoos, and I think you make some good points. While some tattoos are okay, I understand why you would say that they are gross. Some small tattoos are okay, if it honors someone special or a special time in your life, but people that get tattoos just to rebel may eventually regret it. As you get older, if you have tattoos from head to toe, you will regret it. Though you can get a tattoo removed, it is very expensive and very painful. On the other hand, tattoos that are small, like a cross on your wrist or something, is fine. I think that small tattoos are nice and there's a better chance that you won't regret having it in a couple years, because it is something small. Also, if you get a tattoo that honors someone in your life or someone that has died, and you are doing it to honor or remember them, that is fine as long as you know for sure you won't regret it. Also, getting tattoos that represent a special time in your life are okay to have. For example, if you are put in a near death situation and survive, and you want to get a tattoo of an angel to represent that, go for it. All in all, I think that tattoos are great if you get them for the right reasons, but if you get tattoos all over your body, and you can't see your actual skin, that it's just gross.

Tattoos

Submitted by CamiP on Wed, 2012-10-10 17:51.

I definitly agree with you on this one. In my personal opininon I think tatoos are disguisting and over rated. When I see a man or woman walk down the streets with tattoos all over, I think to myself, how could youdeal with that when your older? You might think its artsy and cool now its going to be disguisting when your older. I personally would feel embarassed by it. If I become a grandma and i have tattoos all over my body, I would have to see my kids or grandkids. Your grandkids are supposed to look up to you and not ask their parents why you have so many tattoos. Tattoos are just  a waster of money. What do they benefit? Yeah of course it might seem cool if you get it at first but I know most people should regret it after awhile. It seems pointless.

It would be totally fine if one of my friends had a small tattoo where you cant see it on a daily basis. I am not disrespectiing these people, tattoos are just not my favorite thing. When I see young parents with tattoos with childlren in their arms, I feel awful. Its not healthy when tattoos are up and down your arms and legs, and also when its a terrible design it just doesnt seem right. I cant even imagine the painfulness of getting a tattoo. Its a needle digging into your skin. Not pleasent.  If you think about getting a tattoo remember that they are permanet! They are there forever.

You can not be serious!

Submitted by Andy F on Thu, 2014-03-27 13:55.

You can not be serious! Disgusting and over-rated? Not only is that completely opinionated, but a very, very warped way to look at reality. My friend has a tattoo of his daughter's name which he simply got because he loves her so very dearly, I quite frankly think that it's a beautiful tattoo.

How many times I have heard the "when you're 60 how is it going to look? Hideous!" comment. Of course the tattoo will begin to fade and sag, that happens to skin (tattooed or not), I, personally do not think that saggy, wrinkled skin ever looks as good as tight youthful skin (tattooed or not) so I'm not quite sure how the tattoo makes it much worse. In my opinion when I see some older person with tattoos I think about the stories behind the tattoos and what kind of rich life that person may have lived.

Also hate to break it to you, but although YES tattoos are a waste of time and money, so are many things. I guess I should give up going to the movies or eating out because it doesn't benefit anyone either. Maybe I should devote the rest of my life to charity because otherwise life is (as you said) "pointless."

One last thing, I scoff at the first two sentences of your final paragraph. In the first, you add to your previous, overly judgmental and blatantly disrespectful paragraphs a qualifer. That you would be okay with a small, concealed tattoo on OTHERS? Who are you to decide that...And the second (ahahah rich) you say that you are not direspecting these people. Sorry honey you really are.

first of all your strick way

Submitted by tatted up on Thu, 2014-04-03 10:51.

first of all your strick way of looking at life is over rated i have a very large tattoo on my for arm as a memorial for my nana and i am very affended by your post! i have four tattoos only two show none of the ones that show are affencive tattoos my not be for you but that dosnt mean there not for everyone people were born to be diffrent tattoos helps us express who we are its like a book on the skin a great wrighter once said "why do we try so hard to fit in when we were born to be diffrent"

Tattoos

Submitted by Kylie Petron on Thu, 2012-09-13 15:04.

Dear Jackie,
I completely agree with you. I personally don't understand the tattoo trend and what makes them so popular. It seems that it used to be "unique"to have a tattoo, but now it's almost the typical fashion trend. I also wonder, what makes them so popular among the young population?

Great topic, I'm glad someone posted about this!

tatooes

Submitted by EmilianoMendez on Thu, 2012-09-13 15:04.

Tattoos will probably not die down because to most people that get one it can represent someone or something. It shows ignorance to disrespect an art form and think it may be dumb. It is a new and rising art that has recently become more wide spread. you may disagree with it but do not call it dumb because to some people it may be really important. I personally probably wont get a tattoo bu dnt disrespect others that do and most do not regret their decision.

Dear Jackie, I found this

Submitted by bkestle on Thu, 2012-09-13 15:45.

Dear Jackie,

I found this article very interesting. Today you see so many people with tattoos. Like you said they can be for remembrance or they can be something that was a major mistake from last night. However you look at them, tattoos can tend to be controversial. Some people say they don't look good while others love them. They can cause people not to get a job because of a tattoo, however i think that is starting to change. Yes i agree with you that fads come and go, but i think tattoos will always be a interesting thing to do, and yes, many people may regret them when they get old and wrinkly. Thanks for this super awesome article. It would be interesting to see more research on this topic and more comments from people with tattoos!
Thanks

Brian

Tatts!!!!!!!

Submitted by unrhuley on Thu, 2012-09-13 15:50.

Dearest Jackie,

As I was reading your article, I thought of tattoos that I wanted to get. Although I do not agree with your opinion, I still respect you as a person. Honestly, a person's body is their own personality and an empty canvas. Those who do not like tattoos do not have to look at tattood people; if you know a restaurant is leinent about their employees having inked up arms, simply grab your grub elsewhere. I recognize that you aren't shaming people with tattoos, I just am being told to put my two-cents in on a subject that I find interesting and this one is definitely it!

A body is an open canvas. Tattoos aren't always needed for remembering a family member or certain experience. As an example, I am getting a tattoo of a lamp simply because I love lamp. If a person has the money and the time and the pain tolerence (which is needed, trust me) they should have the right to walk down the street with sleeves of ink and not be judged.

It's a way of creative expression, mody modification and being able to do something just because it's doable. Tattoos to me are just permanant jewelry or clothing of some sort.

I really did enjoy your point of view though!

I also like cats.

Yours Truly, Rachel Huley.

Tattoos

Submitted by CaitlinC on Thu, 2012-09-13 19:20.

Ever since I was young, I saw people with tattoos
and thought that they were gross. You are permanently drawing on your skin. As
I grew older, I noticed more and more people with "tats.” In the society
we live in, it's considered cool to get a tattoo. Just look at all the actors,
rappers, and sport players who have tattoos. I also was curious about the
number of tattoos people have. Then I noticed that once you get one, you would
probably get another. I agree with you, I don't understand why people get
tattoos. You are covering skin with ink. What about if you don't like the
tattoo? Also, when you age, your tattoos become discolored and disgusting. Personally,
I would only get a tattoo if it means something extremely important to me. I
would also get it somewhere hidden and a very small tattoo. The reason I would
do this is because I wouldn't want people to look at me and see a tattoo. I
feel that people classify you differently because of your tattoos. Yet, if it
was someone else, I would strongly discourage then to get one, but it’s his or
her body.

I disagree with you. Tattos

Submitted by CarlyK on Fri, 2012-09-14 09:22.

I disagree with you. Tattos are really cool when there no overloaded. Having one or two meaningful tattos are nice. But when you have 20 tattos it becomes less attractive. Tattos are a special part in some peoples lives and they want to be reminded of special things. People who get tattos just to get a tatto don't rrealize that they are there forever. What will they look like when there 80 years old and covered in tattos? Over all tattos are special and nice to people.

Why tattoos?

Submitted by lucat on Fri, 2012-09-14 14:08.

Of America's 1/4 tattooed population you have to question how many people get it to represent something with good intentions or bad intentions. Tattoos are among the most popular art along with graffiti for gangs. Also, its not just one tattoo. They don't take the quote "your bodies an empty canvas lightly" lightly. Gang members sometimes use up literally almost every inch of there body for tattoos. Most of the tattoos may also not be representing the best things. However, gangs are only another reason of why tattoos are so popular.

Then, there is the group of people that get tattoos to represent them or something important to them. These are when I think tattoos are reasonable and possibly interesting. Tattoos intrigue me because they tend to be very clever and have a subliminal message. Some get tattoos in different languages, calligraphy, signs, numbers, or figures. I like the ideas because it does not just come onto your skin saying 'faith'. Tattoos are displayed in a much more clever way. Making them more interestiong otherwise bland and useless.

I feel the same way about

Submitted by KateR on Mon, 2012-09-17 15:34.

I feel the same way about tattoos. The people who want to be different and get tattoos confuse me, while on the other hand the people who get tattoos who want to remembr something special in their lives inspire me. It is a very contradictory way to think. If tattoos do go "out of style" then I dont think that the people who have them will regret it, because they got them for a reason. One reason being to be different, another would be in rememberance. Only the people who got tattoos not knowing or by mistake might regret their choice. Saying that your body is a blank canvas is an interesting outlook on how some people view there body, by getting tattoos may make them feel like they have completed a picture. Although I personaly dont like tattoos this is how I think people with tattoos think of themselves or others with tattoos.

Tattoos

Submitted by JaniceP on Mon, 2012-09-17 22:16.

It is certainly strange to see how tattoos have become so popular. It shows how much our society and the idea of norm has evolved. Personally, I do not approve of tattoos as it is against my religion. However, in asking of my peers, I have found that most people disapprove of "sleeves" of tattoos. My peers seem to prefer well placed and strategically chosen tattoos. Most people can undertsand the significance of having a symbol as a reminder for them forever. For others, however, it is merely a fashion statement to have something permanently inked on to your skin. Lets face it. The process of getting a tattoo is very painful. Only someone with a high threshold of pain or with a very strong incentive would get a tattoo. 

Your skin is the largest organ in your body. I can't see why anyone would want to mar that.  When people yell at me for having pen on my hand, I cant help but think that if having pen ink on my skin is unhealthy, what would tattoos do to your body? Sometimes i stop to look at the people on the street with large amounts of inked skin and i wonder what their story is, their incentive to get a tattooo. Sometimes, I suppose, a tattoo is simply the result of a drunken night or a rash descision you have to hold on to for the rest of your life. In my opinion, a tattoo is too risky to have. The human mind is far too fickle to be able to deal with something as permanent as a tattoo.

Tattoos

Submitted by MadeleineLopez on Sat, 2012-10-13 16:43.

Jackie,
This is a very interesting topic to discuss, and I think you really hit some valid points. I agree with you that tattoos should represent something meaningful, and something that you won't look back on and say, 'why did I get this tattoo?', 'what does it even mean?'. For example, the lady who got 55 stars tattooed right on her face, because she had a 'crazy night, and wanted to.' There was no reason behind those 55 stars, and now she will have to worry about removing them, or keep them on her face until she is old and it looks like she has 55 dark moles all over her face. You're right, tattoos are very popular, and I do believe they will continue to grow more and more popular. Thank you for writing about this!

tattoos

Submitted by Jenna Thompson on Tue, 2012-10-23 23:17.

I believe tattoos are going to be around forever. People first started getting or giving themselves tattoos as early as 297 AD in Japan. I believe it is a human instinct to love body art. I believe whether a tattoo is "good" or not is the reasoning behind it. Personally I think tattoos are a great way of expression, but also not a joke. Some people treat them as a simple joke and something to do when they are drunk. If tattoos would be taken more seriously than maybe they wouldn't be looked upon as a sign of a "misfit"

Tattoos

Submitted by GeorgiaN on Thu, 2012-10-25 11:21.

I don't have a problem with tattoos and I don't understand why people get so appalled by them. I do however prefer the ones that have a deep meaning and not just something you did for no important reason. I think that you should respect your body and treat it well so saying that is an "open canvas" is not really the smartest thing to say in my opinion. Overall, I think that tattoos are okay if they have a meaning and are done responsibly opposed to getting one so that you look cool.

I agree

Submitted by GabbyB on Thu, 2012-10-25 11:22.

I agree with you on this topic. I think that the reason people are mainly getting tattoos these days are because it's a symbol for who they are. People like to be different or show others their likes by putting what they like on their body. It's an expression for who people are. Another reason people may get tattoos is because it's in style and some do it for remembrance of someone. A lot of celebrities get tattoos and it inspires their fans to get them as well. People also usually get their girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband's name on their body to show their affection and love for them. Even some will get the name of a lost relative or friend to remember them forever with. Overall, I personally don't have a problem with tattoos. I wouldn't get one but I understand people get them to express and represent themselves.

The human body is not an

Submitted by Daniel Guibord on Wed, 2012-12-26 11:15.

The human body is not an empty canvas, it is a work of art;
and putting tattoos on it is like defacing a work of art by putting graffiti on
it.

In my opinion, most people who have tattoos have a low self-esteem that they try to compensate with tattoos.

I agree that people are

Submitted by Casey Campos on Tue, 2013-01-22 12:25.

I agree that people are really in to getting tattooed today. just look at Chris Brown, Li'l Wayne, and Andy Biersack. they have a crazy amount of tattoos.

Tattoos

Submitted by Casey Campos on Tue, 2013-01-22 12:27.

Tattos are addicting. one you get one, you want to get another. Before you know it, you'll have a lot.

Dear jasliwinski, I am both

Submitted by ortsha on Mon, 2013-03-18 12:51.

Dear jasliwinski,
I am both agreeing and disagreeing with your post, "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?,

" because Tattoos in my eyes have become a trend. This trend has been brought on by famous idols, and teens mostly have taken this trend to a full advantage. Including myself, one tattoo becomes 2 and 2 becomes 3. The empty spaces that are on your body become a place for new tattoo ideas to form. As you quoted “Your body’s an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it.” This all comes down to people being ready to live with ink forever. Tattoos moved from trends and now have become a new teen addiction. My thought is that teens strive to stand out and tattoos do that for them. Meanings behind tattoos are only the owners business. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Twenty-four percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; thats almost one of four. In 2011 $1.65 billion was spent in the U.S. on tattoos." I think this is interesting because it proves that money has been wasted on things that really just come across more as wants then necessities

Popular Tattoos

Submitted by tamjen on Tue, 2013-03-19 11:36.

Dear Jackie:

I am excited about your article about your post "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?” because I am very interested with tattoos. I think that it is a very cool art. People get tattoos to express something by putting it on their body. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget." I think this is true because most people get tattoos for specific reasons and get it on their body to express the way they fell about someone or something.

Another sentence that I believed was: "some people may regret getting tattoos." This stood out for me because I believe that it is true. People get tattoos that have no meaning and later on regret the tattoo. I do strongly agree with you that people should get a meaningful Tattoo. One reason I say this is because a tattoo stay on you forever unless you get it surgically removed. If someone gets a tattoo, it should be for a reason. Another reason I agree with you is that for some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really enjoyed this topic. I look forward to seeing your next article.

Dear Jackie, I am pleased

Submitted by Marvin on Wed, 2013-03-27 09:26.

Dear Jackie,

I am pleased with your letter , "Why are tattoos so popular in todays society?," because I see tattoos as a type of art and feel that it expresses some people emotions. Some people get tattoos to symbolize things or to show the different types of emotions inside of them. But besides that tattoos are art and creativity.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Your body’s an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it." I think this is true because your body is really empty, and clean. Some people have that feeling that they are too plain or don't show enough emotions.

Another sentence that I noticed was: "I am not sure if tattoos will ever die down, but if they do, some people may regret getting tattoos." This stood out for me because...

I do strongly agree with you that some people will regret it when they get old, or up in age. One reason I say this is because tattoos are said to cause skin cancer. Another reason I agree with you is when you get older your skin will loosen up, and the tattoo will begin to look different.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because, I enjoy talking about art, and I personally like tattoos. Some people like to express themselves, through different types of art like music, singing, dancing, and many more.

Sincerely, Marvin

Tattoo Frenzy

Submitted by cabenm on Fri, 2013-04-12 09:58.

Dear Jackie:
I am interested by the controversy of tattoos in the United States. During the pre-21st century, tattoos were introduced, and people were influenced positively by it, and it improved the companies of the time. Years later, tattoos have become well known, and it even became local, so anyone can get a tattoo. A majority of the people who get tattooed are those of average intelligence, yet reasons behind getting tattoos are varied and “not specific” from different people, like you said.
One time, I had been introduced to tattoos. I was ten years old at the time. My mother prevented me from buying a permanent tattoo, so she instead bought me those washable tattoos from local stores for my entertainment, and to show them off to my friends. At my age now, I have been seeing many people, even my family members, having tattoos on their bodies. All except me and my family have tattoos because my mother would scold me if we ever bought a permanent tattoo.
I have seen the statistics of tattoos on the web site you provided, and I felt shocked how much money was spent annually on tattoos. 1.65 billion dollars seem a bit too much for tattoos, and 150 dollars for a single tattoo is too expensive. Those moneys should be used for charity, military equipment, and other useful things to help support our nation.
Thank you for getting me interesting in this post about tattoos, and I’ll gladly share this with others who haven’t read this themselves.

Tattoos

Submitted by hermoi on Sun, 2013-04-14 11:56.

Dear Jackie

I enjoyed reading your post, “Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?” because I had actually planned on getting one myself but then regretted it because what if i stopped liking and regretted getting the tattoo afterwards. Also because it got my attention even though i don't want to get one anymore doesnt mean i don't like them because i do like them just not on me.
One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is, “Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget.” I think this is interesting because now in days people don't really actually do tattoos for specific reasons that will have a meaning to them. Also because they just do it to imitate other people because they think thats the new style now in days.
Another sentence that captured my attention was, “I am not sure if tattoos will ever die down, but if they do, some people may regret getting tattoos.” This stood out for me because sooner or later this tattoo style will drop and people who just made the tattoos to fit in with other people will regret these tattoos and people who made their tattoos because they really felt comfortable with it won't have to regret nothing.
I definitely agree with you that tattoos will be regretted because people who just do tattoos because they want to fit in will regret it as time passes because that's going to be in their bodies forever unless they take it out but they will feel a lot of pain. Another reason I agree with you is because people who make tattoos aren't really necessary nor to keep a memory or a specific reason, their just done for two reasons, one is fit in with other people and two is to make it because they don’t mind damaging their bodies to keep a memory they could keep in their heads and not forget.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because i actually like topics about tattoos. Also because it interest me in the way that i actually wanted to make one myself and regretted doing because is not worth it.

true

Submitted by rolail on Mon, 2013-04-15 16:45.

Dear jasliwinski :
I am intrigued with your post, "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?," because i have notice that a lot of people is getting tattoo. i think tattoos is interesting it shows the kind of person you are, and the kind of stuff you're interested in. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget" The reason it stands out because thats what people tell me every time i asked them why did they get the tattoo they got. If i ever get a tattoo it would be something very special to me. tattoo. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because we seem to have the same thoughts

really?

Submitted by bumblebeex on Thu, 2013-04-25 05:19.

in this post it seems people are being arrogant to tattoos and by saying they are 'gross' is not being open and shows how people are still streotyping people with the 'gang' comment. myself i have a lot of tattoos with having a full sleeve and no intention of stopping any time soon as i feel i dont think i will regret them as alot of my generation have them as with only being 21 i will see what the future brings but least when i look back at my arm i can remember a time of my life when i got them done and remember the stories. i think the older generations need to be more open to them as more and more people are getting covered in them and do not regret them and even older people are starting to get them at an old age. its something people need to accept and not see as disgusting. i hate when people judge me because of mine and its not because im young and naive its because i want them but i dont judge people if they dont have them and accept why they dont want them, so people need to not make such a judgement on why we have them

ta x

Good Post!

Submitted by huntia on Thu, 2013-05-02 12:26.

I was very interested by you post “Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?” because I personally love tattoos and I respect your thoughts on why you may dislike them, and plus you give good arguments. I felt that your post was good and yet argumentable, a sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “I personally do not like tattoos and i don’t understand them.’’ This stood out to me because I am a tattoo lover. One thing to understand about tattoos is that it is a type of art and most people who love art like to use their body as a walking canvas.Also they feel that tattoos are a way to express themselves by pictures instead of telling another person their thoughts. Another sentence that stood out to me was “Fads and styles come and go.” Personally, I totally agree with you on that one because everyday a person has a new style and people want to copy , but tattoos in my opinion isn't just a phase or a style that is going to disappear. I disagree with your statement “some people may regret getting tattoos.” I disagree with this statement because as you said in your post people get tattoos because it means something to them, or reminds them of a person. I believe if tattoos were to die down that people wouldn't regret getting tattoos. Thank you for writing this post. I look forward to reading more.

Good Post!

Submitted by ashlas on Tue, 2013-05-07 10:48.

Dear Jackie:
I am interested by your post, "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?," because it make me realize that the reason i wanted to do my tattoo is all because people make them seem cool and nice. Eventually tattoos are not cool or popular is just something unnecessary and painful.
One sentence you wrote that liked was: "I personally do not like tattoos and i don’t understand them. I understand the tattoos that represent a special someone or a specific time in ones life more than the ones that are there to show rebelliousness. Fads and styles come and go”. I agree with you because now i understand why people get tattoos especially those with the name of someone who past away. I do understand when people do a tattoo with a name of someone they lost because somehow they feel that the person is with them. However what about those tattoos with demon faces i really don't know what the purpose.
Another sentence that I enjoyed was: "Twenty-four percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; that's almost one of four. In 2011 $1.65 billion was spent in the U.S. on tattoos" Woao ! I liked this sentence because i didn't know that a lot of people are tattooed.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you give lots of facts and websites that could help me found out about the bad effect tattoos could do to your skin.

Dear Jackie: I am impressed

Submitted by ocotya on Sun, 2013-05-12 23:28.

Dear Jackie:

I am impressed with your post, “Why are tattoos so popular in today’s society?”, because having tattoos does actually make an individual feel better about themselves. It also does have a meaning to some individuals. But to others they just get ink tattooed on their body just to fit in.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget.” I think this is true because one of my friends got her first tattoo that was meaningful to her because of her grandmother's death.

Another sentence that I thought was true was: “Others say that they feel more adventurous and don’t really have a specific reason for getting their tattoo.” This stood out for me because the people who actually do that are just doing it for a trend, they don’t think about how they are going to look when they are old.
I do truely agree with you that Some people say it is art. One reason I say this is because I believe it is art too. Another reason I disagree with you is I have a tattoo as well and I’m not ashamed of it because it represents me believing in my religion. It actually faded because I got it on my hand but I simply have to get it retouched and it will look beautiful again. I for one love tattoos and a few years from now I will get more meaningful ones, but I’m positive I will not mark half let alone my entire body with ink.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it will be interesting to read more of your opinions on important topics.

I honestly agree with you. If

Submitted by Justin Tyler on Mon, 2013-05-13 21:17.

I honestly agree with you. If people think tattoos are artistic, why can't they just put them on a piece of paper and frame them? I think most tattoos look so trashy, especially the ones on the calves, lower back and thigh. I've spent years trying to understand people who get tattoos and trying to have an open mind about them, and some of you nay-sayers can call me ignorant if you want, but I have yet to find a reason for them. Personal matters in life? I get that, but the spur of the moment ones are dumb. I'm sure people who get those spontaneous tats will be proud of them 20 years from now. I can't be attracted to women with tattoos. Some of them I kind of like. I like the small sayings/phrases on the ribs, small ones on the shoulder blade, and the one -worded ons on the wrist. But the sleeves? on the necks? on the butt or boobs? [yuck] Again, call me ignorant and close minded if you want, but I'll never be a fan of human canvases. You can live your life how you want, I guess. It's your money/skin. But I definitely won't be complimenting you or asking for your number.

Oh please - when WE ALL WILL

Submitted by Chris31 on Sat, 2013-06-01 17:19.

Oh please - when WE ALL WILL BE OLD and wrinkeld WE ALL WILL BE UGLY and nothing will help us :D...only that tattoo on your arm will look happy and remember you on your youth. i hope that you all will be WISE and fill with good things and think and discuss about other things. only your true essence i confidence from the soul will make you BEAUTIFUL. 

My grandpa's friend and his wife have tattoes (they have same roses on arms) from youth time and they are normal, nobody care about their tattoo, we love them and they are true lady and gentelman and  old aristocrats with style...

You can always cover your tattoo on job. That's not problem. I know many people that are intellectuals with tattoos here in Europe. Today is also very popular vintage style combined with tattoos and that looks very classy. Pin up style etc. Class is in your soul, in your geastures and in your brains. REMEMBER THAT! 

You guys are very hypocritical I will choose person that is physically and related type no matter if she is covered with tattooed. Tattooes today are just whatever...who cares...your choice...if tattoo is ok for you I will respect it...If you attrected me, you attracted me regardless of anything. 

You people are not normal. You burden with so unimportant things for society instead you live normal and filled. I hope that one day people won't care...and I don't have tattoo. 

And tattooe don't have nothing to do with your self-confidence. You all have problems with that. Do not be hypocritical, again...You talk about that topic, you call someting ugly and you're full of prejudice. Tattooed people don't care abut people with no tattooes. 

Greetings from Germany, sorry for grammar mistakes :) hope I am good. Gruß

Lifestyle

Submitted by Brandon Aes on Mon, 2013-06-03 17:03.

After reading so many negative responses on tattoos, I felt that I needed to put in my two cents. Unfortunately in today's culture, the wrong people are presented in a desirable way. That's a given. I have tattoos that mean something to me, whether it is for my family, culture, religion, heritage or things that have impacted me in a way so strong that I feel will never diminish because it is what made me who I am today. I enjoy the art sense in tattooing as well. I can appreciate the artist and canvas who both created such an amazing tattoo. With that being said, there are so many terrible tattoos and tattoo artists out there just doing it for the wrong reasons. I plan to get quite a few more still, not to be rebellious or to scare away people older or more sheltered than me, but because I like them for reasons mentioned above. I don't get them to say, "Hey, look at me, I'm cool!" I get them in places I can cover up to respect my job and myself. I see more and more young people getting tattoos on their necks and hands before anywhere else. I can't blame them, they want to be "cool." I blame the artist who did it for them because the artist should respect the artform and history of tattooing. The dollar amount you also mentioned in your post does not surprise me. Good tattoos are expensive because you're paying for something you will have FOREVER. Make it worth your time and money. Mine weren't outrageous, but I found a great artist who has worked with me and made everything I've wanted to get for a reasonable price. And he does it because he loves and lives the lifestyle. He is an artist. I appreciate that. Too many people hate tattoos because the majority of people they see have terrible artwork and portray the absolute wrong way. Please don't judge anyone before you know the story scarred into their bodies. If you're curious what they mean, or why they got them, the right tattooed individuals will be happy to share with you their life experiences. Hope this helps some of the discouraged people out there in the world to better understand what my lifestyle is all about. (And to the people who have posted previously, please spell correctly and use better grammer. Education should be the first priority in this world, not worrying about other's skin.)

Thank you.

Point well made...

Submitted by sarjar on Mon, 2013-06-03 23:20.

I am intrigued with what you said on your post. Usually teenagers find tattoos very "cool" and "awesome", and they speak about the different types of tattoos the like and desire. I will not lie that even I myself like tattoos and embarrassingly have to admit that I have planned different ones that I wanted and where I would put them and the different colors. But even with that I agree with you when you say most people get tattoos because it is in style and have a probably will be for a long time. Another part that surprised me was when you one point sixty five billion dollars were spent on tattoos 2011. This surprised me because I did not expect the amount of money spent on tattoos to be so high. Finally, when you stated that if tattoos were to become unpopular a lot of people would regret it, I disagreed with the statement you made because like you mentioned before, people get tattoos to show represent something or someone in their life.

Reply to comment | Youth Voices

Submitted by best fb ads cracked review on Sun, 2013-10-13 08:38.

Headhunters as well as human resource professionals used Linked - In to identify potential candidates.
Because of such responsibilities, some people engage in advertising their businesses in Facebook before coming up with an
effective advertisement for your product. So, make sure you join
the bandwagon and enjoy the site targeted traffic that you can easily drive
from Facebook.

Tattoo

Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 2013-08-03 23:26.

I really like this discussion. For me, tattoos should be personal, and have a good meaning behind them. People shouldn't get tattoos because of a "fad or style" because, well your stuck with it. I personally have two tattoos, both of which I thought about for months before I decided I was sure I wanted to get one, and both of which have big meaning for me. I COMPLETELY understand why people do not like tattoos at all, and I think it's more because good tattoos are hard to come by, mainly (in my opinion) is because, as this topic is about, it's very popular in youth culture, and a good, high quality tattoo generally costs more to get and requires more research into the artist doing the tattoo, and the content of the ARTWORK In itself is far too often overlooked. youth GENERALLY do not make as much of an income, are impatient to get something "cool", and are too lazy to do reaearch before that big of a comitment. Obviously there are exceptions to this, as there are to everything, I myself am 20 and plan to get more. I personally see more hideous tribal tattoos, tattoos that clearly were done by an amerature for cheap, or tattoos that were not taken care of correctly and were picked at and scratched while they were healing, ultimately ruining them. It's really quite a shame, because I think if more people wanting tattoos would be more patient, do some research, save some money, and take them seriously, it would help make tattoos much more respectable.

TATSSSSS

Submitted by aalihya on Mon, 2013-10-07 13:41.

Dear  Jasliwinski,

I am very satisfied with your post
"Why are tattoos so popular in today’s society?" because I like
talking about tattoos and reason why people get them because I’m interested in
getting one.

One sentence you wrote that stands out
for me is: “I understand the tattoos that represent a special
someone or a specific time in one’s life more than the ones that are there to
show rebellness." I think this is so true because the main
reason I want a tattoo is to honor my father in his death by going under a
painful needle because I went through a painful time.

Another sentence that I read was:
"Fads and styles come and go."
This stood out for me because it’s very true, one week I’ll have on one thing
and next week it will be wearing something totally different.

Your post reminds me of something that
happened to me. One time I got this hair style I wanted so bad and I thought it
was cute. After about a month I got tired of it but it was permanent because I dyed
my hair. I had to wait forever for it to grow. Just like a tattoo you got to
deal with it because it’s permanent.

Thanks for your writing. I look
forward to seeing what you write next, because your topics interest me. I can
totally relate to your topics so I would love to read another one.

dear:Jackie i am interest in

Submitted by abigail on Wed, 2013-11-06 12:37.

dear:Jackie
i am interest in your post "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?" because it ii interesting to now why.

one sentence you wtote that stands out for me is " For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people." i think this is interesting because that is true

another sentence that i like was "I personally do not like tattoos and i don’t understand them" this stood out for me because i think the same think i did not understand them too.

your post reminds me of something that happened to me one time because i was think Why are tattoos so popular in today's society.

Dear jasliwinski. I am

Submitted by nicamz1995 on Wed, 2013-11-06 16:40.

Dear jasliwinski.

I am interested in your discussion because my opinion is the same as your. I think that now in this days tattoos are just another way to express your self. Also we get them in memory of a family members or a friend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a great day .

Tattoos

Submitted by Ana on Thu, 2013-11-14 11:48.

I may be "old school" (I never thought that I would say that)but, tattoos seem to be a ridiculous way to express yourself.I can understand if someone wishes to remember someone who meant a great deal to them.  Or if someone wants to cover a scar that was from a medical procedure, deformity or just a bad moment when they regretfully decided to end their life.A little tattoo to express yourself in an inconspicuous area is also OK.  But to paint every square inch of your body with tattoos shows lack of self respect and confidence. These type of people are the first to say "What the hell are you looking at?" or are in need of attention.  I've heard people say "that's not going to look so good when you get older."  Their comment back is "when I'm that old, who cares?"  There is some validity to that answer.I, myself, feel that if someone doesn't accept or like me for what and who I am, needs a check into reality and a look at their selves within.

tattoo's

Submitted by JuliusEBCHS on Mon, 2013-12-02 12:35.

Tattoos are a trend their out, their in style many people around the world get tattoos, " to feel cool or to be down" but others get tattoos because their meaningful to them or symbolize others.

Tattoo’s in today society

Submitted by jmarquez on Fri, 2014-01-24 00:09.

Tattoo’s in today society they as seem as cool and a lot of people have some. Teenagers have tattoos they can be easy accessible as you only need a tattoo gun and an artist who can tattoo you. I was just talking about tattoo’s not dieing out anytime soon since they are becoming more and more popular among adults and kids. I’m 17 years old and I do not have a tattoo yet but I am planning on getting some maybe this summer. I am encouraged to get one since I want something that represents who I am. My first tattoo is going to be the Oakland tree as that is my city and I want to get it so I won’t never forget where I come from. Another one is the Oakland Raiders since I am a die hard Raiders fan even though their lack of winning games that does not matter to me. Tattoo’s are just getting started kids who are born in the 1990’s are going to be tatted up grandparents when we become old. Since tattoos are trending a lot there are different designs and the newer versions some even glow up at night now that I believe is something crazy.

Interesting Post

Submitted by roneshasingleton37 on Wed, 2014-02-12 14:46.

Dear Jackie :

I am impressed by your post, "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?," because you spoke about something that is very common among people in the world, and I wonder why it is very popular. I do not think tattoos are unacceptable because they are a form of art, a lot of people get them for many different reasons. I also think your post is interesting because I disagree with some of the things you mentioned.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I am not sure if tattoos will ever die down, but if they do, some people may regret getting tattoos." I think this is not true because I do not believe people will regret getting a tattoo. I think if someone will ever regret having a tattoo they will cover it up with something else more meaningful or creative. Also if someone know they will regret getting a tattoo, they would have not received the tattoo from the start.

Another sentence that I found interesting was: "In 2011 $1.65 billion was spent in the U.S. on tattoos." This stood out for me because $1.65 billion is a lot of money. All of that money could have been spent on something more useful and supportive. This statistic goes to show that a lot of people in the world find tattoos very engaging. I believe that some people only get tattoos because it is a trend and a lot of people are getting them.

Your post reminds me of my perspective of tattoos when I was younger. When i was younger I always use to mention how many tattoos I will get, and what design all the tattoos will be. I use to do this because I seen a lot of people in my family with tattoos, and I thought they were nice. Now that I’m older, I still want tattoos, but for different reasons. I think that some tattoos have to have a purpose, and have to be creative. I would want a tattoo that is unique because no one has it, or thought about being that creative.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I find you perspective of different things interesting. I hope to see another post by you that I can relate and agree with.

Submitted by belindaandoh on Sat, 2014-03-01 12:30.

Dear Jasliwinski,

I am interested with your post "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society" because it explains how others view tattoos and why they find tattoos to be very useful in their lives.Others can view tattoos as a bad thing but your post explains that tattoos is only how much it means to a person,like someone may get a tattoo to for a specific reason and since that thing is important to them that makes the tattoo useful too.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Most people would have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget" I think this is important because it shows why other people may get a tattoo and to them its just not art,it means more than that because it represents something or someone they love. And it also shows that not everybody gets tattoos because its a style and fads,but its because it means something to them.
Another sentence that I found to be very interesting was "I am not sure if tattoos will ever die down,but if they do,some people may regret getting tattoos" .This stood out for me because I also sometimes wondered if tattoos would ever die down and what would people that just wanted to get tattoos just because its a trend do?.
I do strongly agree with you that fads and styles come and go and if tattoos ever die down some people may regret getting tattoos . One reason I say this is because I feel like sometimes people do things just to fit in within their societies and they don't really have any reason behind what they are doing.Someone may get a tattoos to represent something so important in their lives while others just do it because it is considered to be “cool” and they would regret it when it is not a trend anymore because now it is not as important. Another reason I agree with you is that I believe that tattoos should be only done when it has a meaning against it adm people should really think about getting them before they do because they may end up regretting it.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I feel like you have a great way of explaining what you are not interested in but you don't do it in a rude way. And am really interested with your points and you seem like a nice person.

I agree

Submitted by brandonpalacios293 on Mon, 2014-03-03 19:59.

Dear Jackie :
I am shocked by your post, “Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?” because it was amazing to know that nearly one in four people have tattoos. The actual facts in your post also amazes me.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people. " I think this is true because many friends of mine whom are engulfed with tattoos tend to seem different or one of the kind.
Another sentence that I agreed with was: "I am not sure if tattoos will ever die down, but if they do, some people may regret getting tattoos.." This stood out for me because it made me realize that maybe one day tattoos will be out of style and people who already have it will truly regret it.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I asked my mother for a tattoos and that led to an hour speech from her. She explained how tattoos are permanent and also messes up ones blood and actually is very painful. She made me realized that having a tattoo is a crucial decision and is wrong to get at a very wrong age.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post was very outstanding and really well-written. I really enjoy understanding your opinions.

Dear Jackie,I just read your

Submitted by JuliusEBCHS on Thu, 2014-03-06 11:58.

Dear Jackie,
I just read your post about tattoos, and I think you make some good points. While some tattoos are okay, I understand why you would say that they are gross. Some small tattoos are okay, if it honors someone special or a special time in your life, but people that get tattoos just to rebel may eventually regret it. As you get older, if you have tattoos from head to toe, you will regret it. For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people. "For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people."
Their are many jobs that wouldn't want to hire you because they feel likes its unprofessional to have tattoos showing in a work place. “Your body’s an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it.” Many people feel like once they get a tattoo they have to get more because their are places in their body where tattoos don't cover their skin. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing about tattoos was very influential to many people all around the world. After reading your post i hope many people change their ideas about getting tattoos.

What does your tattoo represent?

Submitted by krobinson on Fri, 2014-03-07 11:06.

Dear Jackie :

I am interested with your post “Why are tattoos so popular in todays society” because this is a question I wonder about a lot. Tattoos are something that I am not too sure about getting in the future because of what you explained in your post.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Others say that they… don’t really have a specific reason for getting a tattoo." I think this is strange because I believe that tattoos should represent something significant because it is something that is going to remain on your body forever. It is something that people will see and it is something people will judge you by therefore it should be something with a meaning.

Another sentence that I liked was: "Some people may regret getting tattoos." This stood out for me because it is true. Once people realize that their tattoos are useless or represent something negative, they begin to regret it. By them, it will be too late. That specific tattoo will remain on your body forever unless you get it removed by surgery but that is extremely expensive.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to my friend. One time I remember when my friend decided to get a tattoo on his face. When he went for a job interview, they questioned him about his tattoo and didn’t really show any interest in him. He feels that his tattoo was one of the reasons why he didn’t get the job. Later he realized that the tattoo he got was worthless and he just wanted something different but it was a mistake.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i love when people write about the questions that run through my mind on a daily basis. I found this post very interesting.

Dear Jackie: I am impressed

Submitted by franchellcheco on Wed, 2014-03-19 12:45.

Dear Jackie:

I am impressed by your post. "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?" because it shows the readers several reasons why people get tattoos. Also, i liked this post because it is really uncommon for a person who does not like tattoos to talk about that topic.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I personally do not like tattoos and i don’t understand them." I think this is rare because most of the people that don't like a specific topic would think that is a waste of time writing about it; However you are still writing about and looking for answer.

Another sentence that caught my attention was: "Twenty-four percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed." This stood out for me because people would really think there are way more adults with tattoos due to the young adults getting tattoos without meaning or just to be cool.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. A long time ago I used to hate seeing people I care about wasting their lives smoking weed because my dad had a very rough past selling them. However, one day I started searching up why people love weed so much or smoke and I came to realize that is their life and I really can't do anything about it. This relates to the topic in many ways. For example, the way you do not understand why people tattoo themselves just like I didn't understand the fact that many people love smoking weed.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because there are post in Youth Voices that do not relate to the real world. People like me would like to know more of what's surrounding us and of what’s affecting us.

Agree

Submitted by garciadestinya on Wed, 2014-03-19 12:58.

Dear Jackie,

I am impressed with your post, "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?," I agree with you. Tattoos are very popular in today’s society. Many people have them for different reasons.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "In an NBC News article a young man said, “Your body’s an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it.”" I think this is true because I believe our body was made for us to experiment. I’m not so big on tattoos but I believe its a good way to show the type of person you are.

Another sentence that I read was: "Fads and styles come and go." This stood out for me because you’re 100% correct. Fads and styles come and go. People do things just to be in with the style but then regret it later when the fad dies down.

I do strongly agree with you that tattoos are just a big fad in society. In my opinion a lot of people really just get them to be in and to be cool. One reason I say this is because most people don’t have an exact reason why they would get a tattoo. Some might even say they got it because their friend had it. Another reason I agree with you is that you stated “For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people.” I find this true because not everybody has a tattoo so if you have one you might feel like you stand out.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like this topic and I wish to see what else you can come up with.

Dear Jackie : I am

Submitted by francheska.pena3 on Fri, 2014-03-21 10:11.

Dear Jackie :

I am interested by your post " Why are tattoos so popular in today’s society? " because I think that tattoos shouldn't be taking advantage. Its fine to get a few but not the whole body. It is a piece of art but an art that shouldn't be taking over ones body

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "Your body’s an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it." I think this is a fact because a person who loves art like me want to create or see more art. Once there's an empty space on your body like a paper one wants to fill it. It becomes an addiction.

Another sentence that I agree on "they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget. Others say that they feel more adventurous and don’t really have a specific reason for getting their tattoo." This stood out for me because many do get tattoos for specific reasons. One just need to control their art on their body. It can be meaningful or a enjoyment but it shouldn't be taken advantage.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoy your research and your opinion about tattoos. I will like to know what else do you find a trend in society.

Dear Jackie I like your post

Submitted by danielapolanco42 on Fri, 2014-03-21 11:09.

Dear Jackie

I like your post “Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?” i agree with you that tattoos are fare and many just get them to feel cool but i don't believe that is ever going to die down, personally i like tattoos but if i ever get one it will have to be something really meaningful and not a flower because I like flower. I feel that tattoos tell a story but when it’s nothing meaningful than you just had fifty dollars laying around. I DON’T THINK ITS going to die out because people are still going to die and people are always going to try to find a way to remember their loved ones. I'm glad you express your thoughts and made me think about tattoos.

Tattoos...

Submitted by r.nayelyn on Thu, 2014-04-03 11:18.

Dear Jackie,
I agree with your post, "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society? ," because some information and question to why people get tattoos was something that you answered for me. I believe the article that you added was very interesting to read too.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Fads and styles come and go." I think this is interesting because now in time people might still think that things are in style for their own likes. I think that it all depends on the person too because people who are old have style from before which is now getting popular again in certain items or style.

Another sentence that I liked was: "most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget. ." This stood out for me because I thought tattoos was just beautiful art that express feelings. I dont always agree with certain tattoos but that the what a person prefers.

Your post reminds me of something that I watched happen. One time I watched this t.v show and some people got horrible tattoos and I believe that that's also part of the bad things that have to deal with tattoos. Sometimes people get tattoos at wrong places.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I find your writing very nice and understanding. I would like to see more of our writing .

20 yrs ago and the decades

Submitted by Christopher on Thu, 2014-04-24 13:01.

20 yrs ago and the decades before, getting a tattoo was a sign of a person's individualism. Today its a sign of conformity. A person can say they got this tattoo or that tattoo because of some sentimental moment in their life, but the real reason is that most of the people who get tattoos today are getting them because every other person in their peer group and almost every athlete and celebrity between the ages of 20 and 40 have them. Before tattoos became so popular over the last 15 yrs, u couldn't pay a beautiful young lady to permanently deface her body like the young women are doing today. Tattoos DO NOT enhance beauty. They take it away. It's like having a beautiful mansion and hiring a graffiti artist to tag different parts of the house. It decreases the value of the mansion no matter how beautiful it is inside. Unfortunately people judge others on appearance before getting to know the person inside. A young person who is considering getting a tattoo has to think about the future as to what kind of impact that tattoo will have on being hired for a job or career they wish to have depending on where the tattoo is located on their body.

Dear Jasliwinski, I have

Submitted by alexis.rodrigue... on Thu, 2014-04-24 13:04.

Dear Jasliwinski,
I have always wondered about this myself. However, I do not agree with you about not liking tattoos. Personally I do like tattoos. It just depends on the tattoo and the meaning of it. You explain that there are many different reasons for getting tattoos. “Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget.” I completely agree with this. personally for me I would get a tattoo of something meaningful. I also agree with you when you said “some people may regret getting a tattoo.” When I think about this I imagine myself when I am eighty years old with a crazy tattoo and wonder why I ever got the tattoo.
Thank you for posting your thoughts on the site. I look forward to seeing what else you post.

Tattoos Today

Submitted by llee4375 on Thu, 2014-04-24 13:07.

Dear: Jackie

I am interested by your post "Why are tattoos so popular in today's society?" because I have wondered the same thing. So many generation after generations have tattoos some people become obsessed with tattoos. It was always interesting to me to know why people love tattoos so much.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget." I think this is interesting because some people actually dedicate a part of their body for a symbol that signifies something that special to them. Tattoos aren't supposed to temporary it’s there for the rest of your life, I have heard its a very painful experience so this “symbol” a person could have on their body must mean a lot if they would go through pain for it.

Another sentence that intrigued me was: "Others say that they feel more adventurous and don’t really have a specific reason for getting their tattoo." This stood out for me because some people would actually dedicate a part of their body for a symbol that has no meaning but just because it looks nice, they would actually go through pain for a meaningless tattoo. People really work differently.

Your post reminds me of something I once saw on television, the show was called America's Worst Tattoos and basically the whole show was just about bad tattoos and regrets, in the show the people who got these “bad” tattoos wanted to cover them up with a better looking tattoo.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this topic on why tattoos are so popular is really interesting. People work in different ways and tattoos has always been around I agree when you explained you don't ever think tattoos will ever die down, tattoos won't ever die down people love them too much.

tattoos

Submitted by jake on Thu, 2014-09-18 18:40.

Sorry but if you want to be taken seriously in the real world,that being the world where you do not get everything you demand from mommy and daddy,mutilating your body with tattoos and hunks of metal in places they were never meant to be is not the way to do it. If you are not satisfied with your body the way it was made,you have real self esteem issues. Plus,if your'e respectfull,articulate,hard working,etc. Why in heavens name would you want to look like a punk,a gang banger,an outlaw biker, a dumpster diver or a four dollar street walker?

Tattoos

Submitted by Stev on Wed, 2014-07-16 02:00.

In my mind, tattoos on a person's body are a waste of good skin and money. About 6 years ago, I ran into a young man in his twenties doing late night grocery store stocking of produce. He had tats showing out of his long sleeve shirt at his neck and wrists. I asked him about them and he told me that his desire to get them has now turned into a real problem. He wanted to go to med school, but was told that with all those tats, nobody would come to his office, except in ghetto areas. It urked him, so he checked it out further. What he found was the same answer, unless he practiced in another country.

I suggested he get laser tat removal. He told me that it was much more expensive than the tats ever were, asw well as taking quite a while to heal. Even then, his skin would show differently where the tattoos had been than normal un-tattooed skin. He said that even being a waiter in a high end restaurant or someone whose job brings them in contact with lots of people were out for him, because of getting himself tattooed.

To me, most people who have several tattoos don't even make them flow together like art. I cringe when a young woman bends over and there's a blue-black design just above her butt crack.

If you want to waste your money, you can smoke, drink or get tattoos to excess. If you consider what you're really spending, instead try saving that amount for your future. The military and police are now prohibiting their people from showing tats in areas not covered by their uniforms. What's next? You can do what you want, like Americans did when they voted in G. W. Bush, who ruined this country, lied to everyone, attacked an innocent country and killed over 100,000 of their people and 6,000 of ours. He even made a male escort (Guckert/Gannon) into a White House approved reporter, then had him stay overnight about 100 times. You can be sheep and get lots of tats or start thinking like a sentient creature, doing something good in the world. It's up to you.

Not permanent.

Submitted by Platibus on Sat, 2014-07-19 16:04.

Some people have said there's no going back from having a tattoo. That is just not true. Although I've seen cases where every color in the electromagnetic spectrum is covering the body in its entirety, those of us who have few marks with truthful meaning can certaqinly return to our natural skin. I've read testimonies about people undergoing laser treatments on reapeted occasions throughout long time lapses with, needless to say, very high expenses. Luckily for me, such medical procedures in my country don't cost as much, and I've known of public hospitals that offer their social service precisely in that area, so if I ever wanted or really needed to get rid of them, I could; it'd be really hard time, working any low level job for a whole year or saving every penny throughout my studies, but most definately worth it. As for now, I'll enjoy my youth among the millions upon millions who carry their most precious images with themselves no matter what.

P.S. I understand when you frown upon seeing tattoos; I also frown when you're eating junk food along your children, when you're overly anxious to have all the newest stuff nobody needs, when you're consuming alcohol beyond your stomach capacity, when you don't show any sense of common courtesy, when you disregard the proper written form of your native language, when you prefer to spend your so very precious time on empty activities, when you blindly support a decadent institution of false promises and excess, when you feel entitled to decide the fate of others, when you don't mind the vast suffering in the world as long as it doesn't reach you, when you think any mindset differing from yours must be wrong, whenever you think any less of a person by judging their flesh instead of their inner and true self. But I happen to see past all that into core of your humanity and I respect you for what you are: a human being just like me. Live in peace or die pursuing it. 

tattoos

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2014-08-26 18:40.

Neither my husband or myself have tattoos.... we are in the minority everywhere we go now. Doesn't make me want to run out and get one though. Not at all. It's a personal preference for us, we're not judgemental over it.

A quest to be different is a sign of conformity

Submitted by rattattat on Wed, 2014-10-01 07:37.

First off, I have no problem with tattoos if someone wants one, two, or fifty, it's their body. I personally think they are a sign of conformity. This is endemic of today's society. most lack their own identity so they follow the whims of a popular culture. the actors, singers and other pop figures in our world. The truly unique person, at least visually, are those without any body marking.