Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?

by: fhartwell

My senior project will be on teens' marijuana use.

I’m interested in this topic because alot of teens are starting to use marijuana. Adults are looking down on teens who use marijuana because of the setting the teens are using them in.

During my pre-research, I found out that weed itself is not bad but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine. Weed causes lack of motivation and impaired memory. Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but its also a way to stay motivated. Smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better.

This topic is unfair because adults are degrading the teens who uses marijuana. Adults are under the impression that marijuana is all bad because of the long term effects. Adults don’t take the time to see why teens start smoking marijuana. If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school.

People should care about this topic because marijuana is a major factor in most teens’ life whether they’re using it or not. Some teens do it because it looks cool, peer pressure, or to escape from their problems. If parents accepted the fact that marijuana is in their teens’ life, maybe the teens would cooperate more.

General Discussion

schudyla's picture
Submitted by schudyla on Sun, 2013-10-06 00:44.

Dear Frank,

I enjoyed your report on, "Teens' marijuana use" very much. Mainly because I have always been against teen usage on illegal drugs. And I always believed that teens only use drugs, when they are pressured, sad, or alone.

One thing that you said that caught my eye was, "Adults are under the impression that marijuana is all bad because of the long term effects." That can be true in most ways when you think about it, but sometimes, the drug doesn't affect people. But I am not saying that I support the use of marijuana.

Another sentence that also caught my attention was, "If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school." And from this reading, it has come to my attention that perhaps marijuana isn't a deadly drug. But that also doesn't mean I am promoting the use of this drug, which can still be harmful.

Thank you for your report. I enjoyed reading it.

Marijuana Secret

Submitted by Gardener on Mon, 2013-10-07 15:02.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your essay.  It is clear that you've put a lot of thought into the subject.  I, too, share your interest in the subject and have researched the matter for over two decades.

It is important to point out the effects of interrupted learning that results from use of marijuana, paritcuarly prior to the brain's full development around the age of 20-25.  When a teenager uses marijuana, just once, he/she is preventing learning from taking place for a period of up to 24 hours. 

What's 24 hours?  Nothing, really.  But when it happens repeatedly, you get a teenager who is unable to cope with life's demands and who is unable to mature.  Basically, when a teenager smokes pot he is choosing to become an overgrown toddler.

The chemicals teenagers put into their bodies have long-term developmental effects.  The brain that you are messing with today is the same brain that you will depend on to make important decisions in the future.  When you are twenty-something, thirty-something, or forty-something you will need your brain to be sharp.

I hope that you continue to look into this topic.  It's an important one with permanent consequences.

General Discussion

graduatedstudent's picture
Submitted by graduatedstudent on Thu, 2013-10-10 12:10.

Dear Frank,

l am very fond of your thought about your essay on Teens Marihuana use. I don't think that Marihuana is really as bad as some people make of it. I think it all depends on what the drug motivates you to do.

On thing that stands out in this essay is when you say, " This topic is unfair because adults are degrading the teens who uses marijuana. " I found that sentence completely true. I agree that some kids may do it to be cool, but I also agree that more kids use it to escape from depression and problems in their life. I think adults just think it's bad because of its reputation.

Another sentence that stood out for me was " If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school. I find this totally true, If anything I think that marijuana would help kids in school, if they have problems or are having a bad day, they can get their minds off of that so they are ready to learn and aren't focused on other things that are going on in their lives.

Your post really reminds me of most adults/parents these days, they are always thinking everything kids do these days are bad and they focus only on the bad things about a strain topic, in this case marihuana.

Anyways, thanks for your writing I enjoyed reading this and look forward to seeing more on this topic, it was very interesting and I think this was very informative.

Agree.

wendbobb's picture
Submitted by wendbobb on Fri, 2013-10-11 11:31.

Dear Frank,

I am amazed by your post on "Teens marijuana use" very much. Mainly because I have always been against teen usage on illegal drugs. And I always believed that teens only use drugs, when they are pressured, sad, or alone.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is, "Adults are under the impression that marijuana is all bad because of the long term effects." I think that can be true in most ways when you think about it, but sometimes, the drug doesn't affect people. But I am not saying that I support the use of marijuana.

I do agree with up you that teens only do it to act cool or if they are stressed about parents, or even school. One reason I say this is because I know many people that does it just to fit in. Another reason why I agree with you is the parents need to take charge more, and see that it is a bad thing.

Thanks for your writing, I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really was interested and this and it was all true statements.

Disagree

craialex's picture
Submitted by craialex on Tue, 2013-10-22 11:44.

Dear Frank,

I am interested in your post teens marijuana use because of how you said marijuana has no bad harms just is illegal.

One sentence that stood out was " If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school. " this stood out for me because this would effect school behaviors and school grades, because you would eventually get addicted to it and instead of doing homework or studying you will just go home and smoke marijuana.

Another sentence I thought was interesting was " I found out that weed itself is not bad but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine. " you said marijuana doesn't effect you in anyway but can lead to other drugs. So if you smoke weed and do cocain you would die eventually because of the bad stuff cocain has in it.

I don't agree that teens should be able to smoke weed cause it can cause lots of problems and ruin a person life or even have them killed. Another reason is that weed isn't going to enhance a school grade it's going to make it worse because they would smoke marihuana instead of do homework so they won't know what to do on a test or anything.

Thanks for writing I look forward to reading what you right next Time because what you wrote was really interesting and made me want to keep reading. I think we are alike and I am interested in what you right. I hope you right another and I will for sure comment on your next one.

Agree

kucharie's picture
Submitted by kucharie on Tue, 2013-10-22 11:46.

Dear Frank:

I am shocked by your post "Teens' Marijuana Use" because after reading it I would have never thought that smoking marijuana would be a good thing. I still don't think it is and I'm still wondering if some of those facts are actually true. I'm only saying this because our teachers are always telling us about how bad drugs in general are.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is " smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better" I think this is interesting because I've never heard it before. I was taught that it messes with your head more than calms it. It gets you addicted to other more serious drugs after a long time period.

Another sentence that I thought about was "adults don't take the time to see why teens are smoking marijuana" this stood out for me because I don't really see why they have to take the time. Drugs are drugs and if their not prescribed to you you shouldn't even have them. If someone saw someone with drugs they should immediately report them or just not get involved. I see this more as an excuse for someone to have other than a fact.

I do agree with you that some teens do it because they think it looks cool, because of peer pressure, or they are just trying to escape their problems. One reason I say this is yeah, people get peer pressured into a lot of things even if it's the smallest thing like like eating a type of food they don't like or don't want to eat. People go along with peer pressure to try and fir in or to be like the "cool" kids. Peer pressure is not an alright thing, it can lead to a lot. Another reason I agree with you is that because I think that in a persons life time they run into a lot of problems.some are small and they can get past. Others are large and people give up trying and go into another world using things such as drugs.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this was a very interesting story and I learned some stuff from it. I can't wait to see what else you have to share with us.

Disagree

effecali's picture
Submitted by effecali on Thu, 2013-10-10 21:40.

Dear Frank:

I am very surprised by your post " Teens marijuana use" because you say in here that it's good for you but I'm not sure I I believe that.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is "I found out that weed itself is not bad but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine." I think this is crazy because I dont think that this Is true but I don't know if it is not true so who knows.

Another sentence that I like think is interesting is " Adults don’t take the time to see why teens start smoking marijuana." Because I think that you don't need to look it up or search it because it's a drug.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me was when something with marujuana was on the news.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to know some more stuff that you find out.

Agree and Disagree

Submitted by bmelendez on Tue, 2013-10-15 20:17.

Dear Frank:
I am intrigued by your post, "Teens’ Marijuana use," because is a topic that i have seen a lot from different teens and myself I think is a really important topic to discuss. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I’m interested in this topic because a lot of teens are starting to use marijuana. " I think this is surprising because it is true because recently I have been seeing a lot of teens that either look high, smell like weed or I see them smoke weed. Another sentence that I noticed was: "During my pre-research, I found out that weed itself is not bad but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine.

Weed causes lack of motivation and impaired memory. Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but its also a way to stay motivated. Smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better." This stood out for me because if you did some pre-research and it said that using weed can lead to worse drugs like cocaine I think that people who say that have evidence to be saying that and I think that if students use it to be motivated is a bad reason because when they feel that it does not motivate them they are going to think that is ok for them to use other drugs to “motivate” them.

I don't kind of agree with you that Smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better. One reason I say this is because after using marijuana students do feel calm but they do not think like they should therefore they can not focus more and I have seen it in students that come high to class and do not do anything or focus more.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I think you have a lot more to say about the topic to make it more realistic and also include strong evidences to prove that the effects of marijuana in teens are positive.

General discussion

Submitted by rgutierrez on Tue, 2013-10-15 22:14.

Dear Frank Hartwell
I was very interested on the report you made " teens' marijuana" because although people use it not many people talk about the reasons in why they use it. I am against the usage of marijuana especially teenagers and mainly because they are immature human beings that are not quite developed the sense in what life is really about.

However i have heard that in many students it helps them focus and concentrate more on their school work. I think that many teens use marijuana to escape problems from either their personal life like family,friends,relationships, or from school.Some even use it because it makes them feel cool and they just want to blend in. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this topic. I think that marijuana is not good but its not bad either it all depends on how you use it.

One thing that caught my attention was when you said, "Adults are under the impression that marijuana is all bad because of the long term effects." I think that adults think this because of the reputation it has. I think that adults think this because of the possible long term effects on the teens.

Also when you said that ,"If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school." I think that marijuana shouldn't be considered as a deadly drug because there are more deadlier drugs like for example meth. Even thou i said it is not deadly it does not mean that i am agreeing or promoting or supporting the idea of teens doing marijuana

disagree

Submitted by dwheat on Wed, 2013-10-16 03:08.

Dear Frank,

I disagree with you because i think marijuana really slow teens down with their school work, giving them that lazy and calm approach. Weed decreases your memory and keeps students out of class constantly trying to smoke it. Therefore i think you should wait until your successful in life.

Don't take drugs

dbrown's picture
Submitted by dbrown on Fri, 2013-10-25 13:14.

Dear Frank:

I am interested in your post, "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?" because I want to know why they are taking marijuana. Teens should not take marijuana. It make you high. They are too young to be smoking marijuana.

Two sentences that you wrote stand out for me are: “Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but it’s also a way to stay motivated. Smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better.” And: “Some teens do it because it looks cool, peer pressure, or to escape from their problems.” I think you're right some kids smoke weed to look cool, but still it's wrong.

I'm learning more about why people take drugs and in particular what I'm wondering about is can they stop or not? I was researching this question online, and this report caught my attention because I wanted to know why do people take drugs, and it told me.

People do drugs to change the way they feel. Often they want to change their situation. If they're depressed, they want to become happy. If they are stressed or nervous, they want to relax, and so on.By taking drugs, people often think they can be the person they want to be. The problem? It isn't real.You haven't changed the situation, you've only distorted it for a little while.

Addictionireland.ie. 2013. National Drug Advisory and Treatment Centre, DTCB, Drug Addition Ireland, Drug Prevention, Drug Treatment. [online] Available at: http://www.addictionireland.ie/faq/article.asp?FID=33 [Accessed: 23 Oct 2013].

The quote I chose here is basically saying that people take drugs to change the way they feel. Also people often think they are stressed or nervous and they want to relax. People need to stop trying to change themselves. By taking drugs, people often think they can be the person they want to be.

I think this is powerful because it tells why people take drugs. It makes me wonder how does it make them feel? Never take drugs. It will make your life herder and you will lose everything. It's not cool to take drugs.

Based on this, I don’t agree with you about kids using weed. One reason is that they are too young to be smoking weed. Another reason I disagree with you is because weed is a drug and kids should not take it.

Thank for your writing. I look forward to seeing what next because your post was interesting. Your post was fun to read. I want to see all of your posts.

Surpirsed!

hendtann's picture
Submitted by hendtann on Fri, 2013-10-25 17:56.

Dear Frank:

I am surprised about you report on "Teens' using Marijuana" very much. I really liked your argument because I hate that kids are using drugs and basically killing themselves. I really think that kids do these things because they pressured and depressed.

One sentence that I really liked and that fought my eyes was, " Adults are looking down on teens who use marijuana because of the setting the teens are using them in." This is exactly what I think is happening all over the world. I also think that all of these parents are giving on these kids. But if it's fun medical reasons and you can't do anything to make you better or to take away the pain then I support that.

Another sentence that really stood out to me was, "If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school." This argument made me see that marijuana is a very deadly drug. These kids are killing themselves by doing it.

This post doesn't apply to me. I have never had a encounter with marijuana.

Thank you for writing this I want to see what you write next. Your article really made me think about what is happening to everyone around us. Also it really opened my eyes on what kids are doing and to themselves. This also made me see that they are killing themselves and that their parents are stopping to care.

General Discussion Dear

JCristo's picture
Submitted by JCristo on Wed, 2013-10-30 13:23.

General Discussion

Dear Fhartwell
I am surprised about the post “ why are teens using marijuana?The reason why I am surprised is because people be saying weed is bad for teens , not only for teens but , now that you saying that is not that bad for teens because it actually keeps them motivated .

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “I found out that weed itself is not bad but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine” I think this is surprising because I really taught weed itself was very bad , especially for teens.

Another sentence that I stood out for me was “If the adults understood better,they’d realize that marijuana does not affect the teens performance in school.

This post reminds me of my mom because mom says that marijuana is bad for teens and not only my mother thinks that I have a lot of people telling me its bad specially for teens.

Thanks for your opinions about teens smoking marijuana i will always look forward to read more of your articles.

Hello

wcisneros's picture
Submitted by wcisneros on Fri, 2013-11-15 13:54.

This was intriguing to me, as well as reading all the comments on your post. I have also heard and read facts about the negative affects of Marijuana on the development of the teenage brain. I think many have facts wrong when it comes to this subject. Such as there has never been any evidence towards marijuana addiction or over-dosing. i have learned a lot from reading your post and the comments. Thanks for sharing.

Submitted by evanbaker on Tue, 2013-12-17 13:25.

Heyyy Frankiee,
Thank you for posting this discussion on here.Marijuana use is a pretty controversial topic nowadays and I would be interested in seeing your final report on this. It would be cool to see what different generations think about Marijuana and if they think it is okay or not.
I think growing up in different generations has a lot to do with impressions of the drug. We are seeing more stated legalize it for different purposes and I could see it being legal in all the states eventually. We are coming up on a new era and I would love to read your final research paper on this topic.

Agree and Disagree

Submitted by SydneyAustin on Tue, 2013-12-17 13:33.

Hi frank, your topic is very prevalent In the lives of teenagers today and I agree with most of your article. However, I don't agree with the statement "marijuana doesn't affect teens' performances in school." If marijuana was allowed in school, the students would be distracted and very much so less motivated to do work. I believe that marijuana is one of the less harmful drugs but also sets up obstacles for failure in kids lives, keep up the great research though!

Frank, I thought your essay

Submitted by NMMarron on Tue, 2013-12-17 13:34.

Frank,
I thought your essay was very interesting. I know that a lot of kids use marijuana or have been peer pressured into using it. I think the setting it is used in determines whether it is a positive or negative drug. If it is used for medical purposes and can help people feel better, I think it is positive on this aspect. A negative is when kids are using it just to get high and spending a lot of money to make sure they can use it. I enjoyed reading your post and several comments about it, and would enjoy to read your future posts on this topic.

Frank

RichStrehl's picture
Submitted by RichStrehl on Fri, 2014-01-31 15:10.

Dear Frank, I really enjoyed reading about your topic and the studies that follow it. I think its wonderful you are looking into this because teens are starting to use it more and more and its becoming a serious problem. It is a gateway drug and leads people to be super lazy and hungry. Good luck with your studies:))))

Agree

Submitted by dylanchambers on Fri, 2014-01-31 16:33.

Dear Frank H,

I am intrigued by your post on teenage cannabis use as my senior research project concerns the positive and negative consequences of drug legalisation in America. I think that your comment that marijuana use is fairly safe and harmless drug is true chemically, however I think that if you examine the legal effects of marijuana use, you may find how dangerous this drug is with the current legislation around most of the country compared to Colorado and Washington.

This is an interesting topic and I hope to read the results of your research.

Good luck Frank,

-Dylan

Frank

Submitted by natalie.pujols.np on Thu, 2014-02-06 12:00.

Dear Frank :
I am on both sides of the fence with your post, "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?" because it isn't completely true and your statement became invalid after you wrote how marijuana does not affect the teens badly.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I found out that weed itself is not bad" I think this is not valid because later on you supported that statement with “but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine. Weed causes lack of motivation and impaired memory.” How is that not bad itself? I want to find the logic behind it because frankly it does not make sense.
Another sentence that I read was “People should care about this topic because marijuana is a major factor in most teens’ life whether they’re using it or not." This stood out for me because I believe it is not true. I am not a user off this drug and it does not affect my life whatsoever, so one can not assume that it affects everyone if you don’t have the right facts or information to prove that point.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I remember I was walking with a friend and he told me to go to this house before we go to school. Me being unaware I agreed and went along with him; he brought some marijuana from a friend off his. Although he insisted on me to try it I deny it completely and that was the only encounter I ever had with the drug. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it was interesting the way you explain this.

Shocking Post!

garciahennessymarie's picture
Submitted by garciahennessymarie on Mon, 2014-02-10 14:03.

Dear Frank:

I am staggered by your post, "Why are Teens Using Marijuana?," because that is a very good question. The legalization or legalization of marijuana is more contentious. Not many people find out why people, especially teens, use marijuana. To people they see how marijuana affects the body, but rarely questioned why people use it. Common answers for the use of marijuana is peer pressure, but what if no teen was peer pressured?  It seems to me that in your post, you find marijuana not as harmful as many other drugs.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Some teens smoke weed as a coping method, but its also a way to stay motivated." I think this is interesting because I have never thought of that. Some people may think that teens smoke marijuana just for the fun of it, to be cool, or to just relieve stress. Another reason I find it interesting because mostly the negatives of marijuana is brought up never the positives. The only common positives include how marijuana can be used for medical therapy.

Another sentence that shocked me was: " Smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better." This stood out for me because this is another unknown fact to me. According to my prior knowledge and research, I do agree that it does calm someone down because it is classified as a depressant. People smoke marijuana during stressful situations to “feel better.” Also, I’m not sure about how marijuana keeps a person focused. Even though there is no concrete connection for marijuana and violence, rape, and murder, it is possible; marijuana impairs the mind to make imbecilic decisions, and causes the loss of coordination.

I don't really  agree with you when you said, “ I found out that weed itself is not bad” and when you said, “If parents accepted the fact that marijuana is in their teens’ life, maybe the teens would cooperate more.” One reason I say this is because marijuana is just as harmful and dangerous as any other drug, and it should just be illegal to keep it out of people’s lives. Another reason I disagree with you is because marijuana damages brain cells, can kill people, increase depression or sleepiness, cause anxiety or attacks, and cause cancer. In addition to that, I believe that if parents were more aware of what their teens were doing, than they can be able to stop teens from making careless and ridiculous mistakes, such as smoking marijuana. A teen would cooperate more, if the parent payed more attention to what he/she does.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to see you explore your topic into much more detail. Also, I would want to know more facts on marijuana use. What will bring me back if there is more evidence to your argument about parents, teens, and marijuana that will prove my opinion wrong.

Interesting post

roneshasingleton37's picture
Submitted by roneshasingleton37 on Tue, 2014-02-11 16:41.

Dear Frank:

I am very inspired by your post "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?," because it is very interesting. I find your post interesting because I do not have think it is wrong for teenagers to use marijuana. I do not think teens are being affected by the drugs because some teenagers respond well to it. I also find your post interesting because I agree with some of the things you stated.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school." I think this is somewhat true because I have some friends who smoke marijuana and do not seem affected in school. Some of my friends who smoke and then go to school act the same as non-smoking teenagers. They complete their work on time, focus in class, and engage with other teenagers and teachers. This statement is also not true because other teenagers who smoke and then go to school become very tired and hungry, which distracts them from doing their work.

Another sentence that stood out to me was: "Some teens do it because it looks cool, peer pressure, or to escape from their problems." This stood out to me because I believe teenagers are put through a lot of stress because of school and family issues. Some teenagers do smoke marijuana because they need to relieve all the stress and feel relaxed. Teenagers need something that make relax themselves, and marijuana is something they like to use.

Your post reminds me of many adults concerns about marijuana. A lot of adults think teenagers on drugs is not good. I think many adults need to understand that teenagers are encumbered with a lot of things that cause stress. To relieve stress many teenagers start to use drugs. I think teenagers use the drugs because they know they can not be affected in a very bad way.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you state a lot of things that I agree with. I hope to see another post from you that is insightful and understanding to teenagers.

Interesting post

roneshasingleton37's picture

Dear Frank:

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn't affect the teen’s performances in school." I think this is somewhat true because I have some friends who smoke marijuana and do not seem affected in school. Some of my friends who smoke and then go to school act the same as non-smoking teenagers. They complete their work on time, focus in class, and engage with other teenagers and teachers. This statement is also not true because other teenagers who smoke and then go to school become very tired and hungry, which distracts them from doing their work.

disagree and agree

gonkimed2011's picture
Submitted by gonkimed2011 on Thu, 2014-02-20 21:43.

Dear Frank,

I totally agree with your topic about “Why are teens using marijuana?” because you do see the good side of the drug use. I totally disagree on your part of what parents think because as a responsible parent and adult you should not encourage your kids to smoke weed. I understand that you should not think that weed is bad because of future events that will occur, but teens will take advantage of the fact their parents do not care they are smoking. As you believe that parents should not interfere with the drugs because it brings out better academic skills in them but in reality it slows them down because as they experience the feeling of being high or as teens call it being on cloud nine; they also tend to get sleepy and hungry which distracts their mind from fully participating in class. I like that in the first paragraph you point out that the drug use of weed may lead to other drug uses of cocaine and it may cause them to lose part of their memory, and it will lead them to an apathy to do anything else like sports or even wake up to go to school. I like how you also stated in the last paragraph that people should care about this topic and you’re right we should because it will teach some teens and parents facts about the topic of weed and the real use of drugs.

Agree!

angerlly01's picture
Submitted by angerlly01 on Wed, 2014-02-26 11:57.

Dear Frank:
I am very fond of your thoughts in your post, "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?," because you clearly stated some of the main reasons why teens decide to use marijuana, and I strongly agree with your arguments and opinions in this essay.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "This topic is unfair because adults are degrading the teens who uses marijuana." I think this is totally true because most parents of teens who use marijuana don’t actually spend time trying to figure out what makes their children use this drug, and for what purpose. They are more focused on the long-term effects of marijuana; therefore they consider it as something bad to do; but in reality, they need to take a moment to think and understand why their children are willing to use this drug. Other parents might judge and say that their child is under peer pressure, which may be true, but without even talking to their son/daughter about the situation.

Another sentence that I strongly concur with is: "If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school." This stood out for me because perhaps marijuana could really help teens in school, especially because teens are always experiencing frustrating situations and going through a lot in life. Marijuana could help them relax and clarify their minds, or even put their minds on something more creative and motivating because they’ll be able to focus more. However, I am not promoting the use of this drug either. I am clear that using this drug may lead to the future desire of using more hardcore drugs, which could be even more harmful.

I do agree with you that some teens decide to use marijuana because they see others doing it and they want to seem cool, peer pressure, or as a way to escape from their problems. One reason I say this is because I have a lot of friends and even family members who decide to have marijuana in their lives, mainly because they want to be as cool as their friends, or because they have a lot of struggles in their lives and one way for them to be more relaxed about it and less worried is by smoking this drug.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this topic really interests me, and I could also relate and agree to it. Your thoughts seem reasonable and understandable.

Agree

garciadestinya's picture
Submitted by garciadestinya on Thu, 2014-02-27 17:50.

Dear Frank,

I am interested with your post "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?" because I totally agree with what you have to say. I think that teens using marijuana are being seen differently than it really is.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Adults are under the impression that marijuana is all bad because of the long term effects." I think this is true because adults see marijuana as something that can harm us teens, not understanding that marijuana is actually helping us at times.

Another sentence that I saw was: " If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school." This stood out for me because if adults really pay attention, they could see that it’s helping us in school. Sometimes it doesn’t but most of the time, it’s said that students use it to concentrate more, to be stress free.

I do strongly agree with you that adults should understand why teens use marijuana and accept the fact that it will be in their kid’s life whether their kid is using it or not. One reason I say this is because either way, we all have friends that do it. Marijuana is used by a lot of people, young and older. Another reason I agree with you is because if they accept the use of marijuana, things would flow smoothly. Parents rejecting that is stressing kids more, and making more kids sneakier to do it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like your topic. I agree with you and I want to see what else you come up with.

Teens and Marijuana

belindaandoh's picture
Submitted by belindaandoh on Sat, 2014-03-01 12:37.

Dear Frank:
I am interested and shock with your post, "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?" because I would love to know what really encourage teens to use Marijuana,when marijuana does nothing but give them diseases which cannot be cured most of the most. Am also interested with your post because I also realize that a lot of teens are starting to use Marijuana because they think it makes them cool and also I think its peer pressure.I believe that Marijuana is bad for teen’s health.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "If parents accepted the fact that marijuana is in their teens’ life, maybe the teens would cooperate more." I think this is fascinating because most parents won't want to accept the fact that their teens are using Marijuana because they are frightened that when they discuss Marijuana with their teens this would encourage their teens to try Marijuana.But the more teens are aware about the effects of Marijuana they would be encouraged to work towards not using Marijuana anymore.
Another sentence that I found to be fascinating was: "People should care about this topic because marijuana is a major factor in most teens’ life whether they’re using it or not".This stood out for me because I think that if people cared about teens using Marijuana and actually did something to prevent teens from using Marijuana or prevent them from even thinking about doing Marijuana,this would totally make a big difference.
I don't strongly agree with you that Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but its also a way to stay motivated, Smoking weed calms teens down so they can focus better.One reason I say this is because I feel that even though Marijuana may help teens calm down and focus ,its also damaging their health .Another reason I disagree with you is because when teens use Marijuana it makes them high,which means they are not really conscious so they happen to do things that they wouldn't normally do and that is not what calming down is.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i'm interested with this your post,and I cant wait to read what topic you would post next. I also realize that you didn't only just give your opinion on teens using Marijuana but you showed facts.I also learned from your post even though I did disagree with you with the effects of Marijuana on teens.

Awesome Post!

brandonpalacios293's picture
Submitted by brandonpalacios293 on Sun, 2014-03-09 22:56.

Dear Frank :
I am attracted to this post simply because it had to deal with the complicated topic of marijuana. Your post “Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?” was really related to many teens who live in this modern world.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "If parents accepted the fact that marijuana is in their teens’ life, maybe the teens would cooperate more." I think this is true because we smoke weed to rid of out problems and idf parents weren’t so focused on why we smoke it and just accept it, maybe parental relationships would be most likely better.
Another sentence that I related to was: "Adults don’t take the time to see why teens start smoking marijuana. If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn't affect the teen’s performances in school." This stood out for me because I have associates that smokes marijuana every day and they have 88-95 GPA.
Your post reminds me of something that happened in real life. My cousin was smoking marijuana before taking an examination and he got an 100 on it and he was the first one to finish the exam as well. He told me that marijuana makes teens focus a little better on that certain thing.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it was very interesting to see how you were defending the youth’s ability to smoke marijuana.

Marijuana

randya3011's picture
Submitted by randya3011 on Fri, 2014-03-21 11:09.

Dear Frank:

I am mesmerized with your post, "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?," because some make false, vague claims that marijuana is good for one’s health without having facts to back this up. Unlike the majority of people that write about marijuana, you state some good points and some facts to stand behind your claims and opinions.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but its also a way to stay motivated" I think this is partly true because I have friends that are constant weed smokers and when I confronted one of them and asked them why do they smoke they responded with “to numb the pain and the senses, so that I don't have to worry for once in my life.”
Another sentence that fascinated me was: "Some teens do it because it looks cool, peer pressure, or to escape from their problems." This stood out for me because as teenagers, we are often peer pressured into getting involved into things we didn't mean to start and if we don't give in to their demands we are often seen as prunes.
I don't agree nor disagree with you that weed is good for a the health. One reason I say this is because I haven't tried it to know if it is or isn’t and I'm not planning on trying it any time soon. Another reason I don't agree nor disagree with you is because my friends consider it to be effective, so in a way it saved my friend’s life while it slowly destroys him. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

Dear fhartwell I am

Submitted by KevinEBCHS on Fri, 2014-03-28 09:31.

Dear fhartwell
I am supportive by your post"Why are teens using marijuana " because up to this present day marijuana smoking has went to as young as 13 and that has me very vague to the situation, kids follow what they see their older siblings are doing so it leads nothing but to follow because their not seeing anything positive.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: " Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but its also a way to stay motivated.>" I think this is very true because nobody is encouraging the teens to not smoke weed. Just because it doesn’t kill anybody but it can get addictive and make you move at a slow pace .I'm learning more about right now, and in particular what I'm wondering about is:Can the parents prevent this from happening before they go experimenting with their peer’s I was researching this question online, and this blog post Marijuana and Teens caught my attention because it talk about what parents need to look out for or if they suspect they child is smoking
Talking with your child when they are in elementary or middle school in an honest and open way can prevent drug use in the future. The following are tips on for how to discuss marijuana with your child:
Ask what he/she has heard about using marijuana. Listen carefully, pay attention, and do not interrupt. Avoid making negative or angry comments.
Offer your child facts about the risks and consequences of smoking marijuana
Ask your child to give examples of the effects of marijuana. This will help you make sure that your child understands what you talked about.
If you choose to talk to your child about your own experiences with drugs, be honest about your reasons, be careful not to glamorize marijuana or other drugs, and discuss the negative things and dangers that resulted from you or your friends' drug use

https://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_...
The quote I chose here is basically saying kids and smoking marijuana is not a good match at all because it starts out by the kids getting lack of attention from their parents so sneaking away to go smoke isn’t a problem
Based on this source, I do agree with you that kids seem to think that smoking weed is cool One reason I say this is because statistics can prove that smoking weed has risen rapidly for the last 5 years. Another reason I agree with you is that we need more leaders to show people that smoking at a early age isn’t cool because their brains are still developing.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you’ve made some valuable points about marijuana which is a fact even though you are stating certain opinion’s, im hoping to see what other topics you’ll write in the future.

Supportive

Submitted by KevinEBCHS on Fri, 2014-03-28 09:32.

Dear fhartwell

good points

kedeciachristopher's picture
Submitted by kedeciachristopher on Fri, 2014-04-04 09:40.

Dear Frank,
Many of my peers have been recently conversing about marijuana and sharing their experiences. I often overhear conversations regarding the topic. When I viewed your post, “Why Are Teens Using Marijuana?,” I was quite blithe to read it. I wanted to see some more perspectives on Marijuana and teens.

“Some teens do it because it looks cool, peer pressure, or to escape from their problems,” was a sentence that stood out for me because I agree. Many of the actions that teens take is because of peer pressure or because we feel as if is is cool because the majority is doing it, and we yearn to fit in with the crowd. Also, i have heard many people say that they used weed a stress reliever because it clears the mind and just allows relaxation.

I am concerned with the sentence,”During my pre-research, I found out that weed itself is not bad but it may lead to more hardcore drugs like cocaine.” This statement was not very cogent. I am not assured that weed is not bad,, mainly for the fact that everything has it’s pros and cons. Furthermore, it had been alluded that there are symptoms of weed that can be serious.

Your post simply reminds me of the contention topic. There was a time in my science when we were reviewing the bad aspects of plants. weed was mentioned. Then another classmate of mine argued that there is nothing wrong with weed and that it is infact a positive aspect of plants because it serves as something similar to medicine.

Thanks for writing. I would like to see what else you discover as you continue your research and begin to go in depth. I specifically would like to read more on the effects of marijuana, and the veracity of this statement, “If the adults understood better, they’d realize that marijuana doesn’t affect the teen’s performances in school,” because i am not fully convinced that marijuana does not affect performance.

Dear Frank: I am delighted

kelvingonzalez809's picture
Submitted by kelvingonzalez809 on Thu, 2014-04-24 12:53.

Dear Frank:
I am delighted with your post, "Why Are Teens Using Marijuana," because a lot of teenagers are using marijuana. Some teenagers are getting addicted to marijuana and can’t seem to stop.
One sentence you wrote that I like was: " Some teens smoke weed as a coping method but its also a way to stay motivated" I think this is true because some teens are smoking weed because it calms them down. Other teens also use marijuana because it helps them to focus more on school work.
Another sentence that I like was: "Adults don’t take the time to see why teens start smoking marijuana" I find this to be very true because they think that marijuana is bad for the long-term effects and that teenagers are being influenced by other people to use marijuana. But what adults do not realize is that marijuana could help students’ performance on school.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because marijuana is a major factor is most teens’ life whether they are using it or not. Some teengaers use marijuana because of peer pressure and because it looks cool.

Insightful

Submitted by Pauliver on Sun, 2015-03-01 03:20.

Frank,

While some of your claims are unsubstantiated, the crux of your argument is striking--marijuana is an issue that needs to be confronted and examined from all fronts; it is not an issue from which we should shy away. Marijuana is a major force in the lives of many young people, especially as some states have legalized it, although there is still much speculation about its effects. While many studies have been done about its effects, I think it is interesting that you brought up the importance of addressing the causes of marijuana use. I certainly do not think that marijuana is a positive force in the lives of young people, although I am aware that some people find benefits from it. Regardless of whether or not marijuana use is beneficial or harmful, the paramount component of this issue is simply that it needs to be examined panoramically, not from a narrow focus. Your post effectively communicates your stance while highlighting the need for a wider approach to this issue.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana