Why do I look like my mom?

by: herdai

Something I've been really interested is on this topic of Why do I look like my mom because a lot of people have told me that I look like my mom. I think others say this because me and my mother are pinkish. I really don’t think this is true thats why have decided to make a research on the topic, and learn why do people say I look identical to my mother.

What I know already about this topic is that physical traits that us children have come from parents. That means that many of us are going to look like our parents even if we might not want that to happen. Sometime we might not even get to look like our parents.

Based on the first source I found, I gathered some information about my question. On the article it said “They remember the negative aspects of their parents’ personalities, and don't want to go down that road themselves.” Honestly I agree with this statement from Will I Look like my mother? passage because some children might think that just because they look like their parents they will go through what they went through. This helped me answer part of my question by stating reasons why I dislike when people say I look like my mother.

In article “What trait are Inherited from parents?” I learned that each physical, genetic, health or mental trait we inherit, we receive a dominant and recessive gene. Meaning Mom will carry two bits of information, and dad will also carry two bits of information for a certain thing like which hand you will use to write. This helped me answer part of my question, stating what do we get from our parents.

A different article I found “Where Do the Physical Traits We Inherit Come From?” but similar to the one above seemed really interesting. I learned that some genes are more powerful than others for example if one of your parents have Light Blue eye and one have Dark brown eyes. There's a chance that you will get dark brown eyes because dark brown gene is more stronger than the other gene.

On the last source I read was “How are traits inherited from parents?” I re-learned that DNA is made of chromosomes, 23 from each parent, to provide a total of 46 chromosomes' worth of genetic information.

Cited Sources

Article 1:
Haner Jean. “Will I Look Like My Mother?” . March 18, 2010
April 4th, 2012
http://www.healyourlife.com/author-jean-haner/2010/03/wisdom/personal-gr...

Article 2:
Hembree Dahloan. “What Traits Are Inherited From Parents?”.
April 4th, 2012
http://www.ehow.com/about_5414774_traits-inherited-parents.html

Article 3:
eHow Contributor. “Where Do the Physical Traits We Inherit Come from?”
April 4th, 2012
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4570127_physical-traits-we-inherit-come.htm...

Article 4:
Coila Bridget. “How are traits inherited from parents?” May 5, 2011
April 4th, 2012
http://www.livestrong.com/article/69436-traits-inherited-parents/

Dear Daisy, I thought your

Submitted by bball_princess11 on Mon, 2012-04-16 10:36.

Dear Daisy,

I thought your topic was hilarious. Even though your approach was a light tone, I thought it was interesting that you looked to science and genetics to further support your claim. This post really made me think about all the ways I'm similar to my mom, and I guess it's a bit freaky when thinking about it. Thanks for writing, and I hope to read more soon!

Nice Work!

reywin's picture
Submitted by reywin on Mon, 2012-04-16 11:42.

Dear Daisy:
I enjoyed your post, “Why do I look like my mom?” because is something that I sometimes ask myself and your post caught my attention by reading the title. Also I a lot of people say I look like my mom and they get her confused and say if that’s my sister when that is actually my mom. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “Why do I look like my mom because a lot of people have told me that I look like my mom.” I agreed with this because a lot of people say that my mom and I look the same because we both have the same smile, eyes, attitude as we are happy people with big smiles across our faces. Also I agree with it because I always though in a way that I looked like my dad I don’t know why but then I compared a picture of my mom when she was my age and a picture of me and it showed me that we both do look alike more than expected it. Another sentence you wrote that stands out for me was, “That means that many of us are going to look like our parents even if we might not want that to happen.” This stood out for me because why won’t teens want to look like their parent when that is something cute when you look like your parent.( My opinion) Your post reminds me of something that happen to me. Once my mom and I were walking to the store and this guy said is that your sister and I was like no that my mom and he said oh sorry I though that was your sister because you two look so alike like the same smile and everything. Thanks for your writing.