Why Do Kids Drop Out

by: adot

In the article “ Why Do Students Dropout Of High School ,” from http://www.cec.sped.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLA
TE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=9279 the author breaks down some of the most common reasons kids drop out of high school. At one time in my life, I was going to drop out, but I thought about the consequences that were ahead if I did. For example, having no job and not making money during my adult years of my life would not be good.

When we consider the issue of dropping out, some might wonder why would kids do such a thing, but there are many who can relate and may agree with the idea of dropping out. Dropping out doesn't only affect your education, but it also affects the outcome of your life. Will you be successful in life or will you just be a bum on the street because you have no skills to get hired and pay your rent and bills?

This might make one wonder what would happened if I were to make that decision and drop out. Will I be like the others or will things come around in the end.

Some people may agree with the idea of dropping out is a bad thing because either they have been thrown the same thing or someone close has gone through it.

most reasonable article I read all day

anthonyf's picture
Submitted by anthonyf on Mon, 2012-12-03 11:57.

Dear Aaron,

I enjoyed your article " Why Do Kids Drop Out" because you express the fact that you need a education in order for you to go somewhere.I too also had the thought of dropping out which was the time I was 16. I thought school was nothing and always was going to be nothing. I wanted a job, I wanted some money in my pocket.

One sentence from your article that stood out for me was " When we consider the issue of dropping out some might wonder why would kids do such a thing but there many that can relate and may agree with the idea of dropping out." I agree with this because there are other factors on why kids drop out because they feel as school is too much work and their lazy or their just having social problems at school and family problems at home.It could be a numerous ideas but the fact is those are challenges we have to get through and keep on fighting and reach our goal.I feel as if counseling is the best solution in this issue.

Reading this article makes me want to be somebody that works for the community and help trouble youth into not dropping out because the more graduates we have in this country the economically this country will improve.Kids shouldn't drop out, just like malcolm x said "A mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Thanks

adot's picture
Submitted by adot on Wed, 2012-12-05 12:40.

Dear Anthony,

First I just want to thank you for reading and commenting on my article. I'm surprised that you have also gone through the same problems as me. Some people can't really relate to this because they never had that feeling when you just think quitting would just be the best decision but in reality that's really the worst mistake to make. When you said "just like Malcolm x said "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" this caught my eye because I couldn't agree more with that line and my grandfather always tell me this when I see him.thanks again for writing.

Dropping out of high school

Submitted by maryo on Tue, 2012-12-04 10:09.

Aaron,

The realization that achieving a high school diploma is something to be valued often comes with maturity. I see from your commentary that you see that an education is important in our present-day society in order to get ahead in life. As an added bonus, I might state that an ongoing pursuit of knowledge is an activity that is a guarantee against boredom. You might never have to utter the common plaint, "I'm so bored; I have nothing to do." As a lifelong learner, you'll always have something to do. Welcome to the club.!

I like how you relate the

Submitted by JackyHuynh on Fri, 2012-12-07 01:59.

I like how you relate the idea of dropping out with yourself. Saying that you wanted to drop out yourself, but then realizing your life ahead. People need to think threw their actions and plans to see how it will affect themselves and the people around them. So people don't think about this and end up in a very rough situation that sometimes people can't get out of.