why do people judge other people by their first impressions ?

by: ctai

People judge other people by their first impressions, Why is that? Why do people judge other people by their first impressions? That is something that always struck me in my life. Just because you look at somebody, you assume stuff from it. Don’t just judge people by the way they look, judge them by their personality and the way they act towards one another. Like the quote says “ Don’t judge a book by its cover “ meaning that by looking at a book you think it is bad when you didn’t even read the prologue yet or even the back of the book. Its the same as judging people by the way they look or even sometimes the way they act. People act different from others and some people have their own kind of way of gestures. Not everyone is born the same, that is why it makes every one unique in their own way. First impressions aren't a good thing and it shouldn’t be done. You have to get to know the person first before you judge them! Once you get to know the person, then you can judge them by who they are.

As much as we wanna

Submitted by omedjid on Wed, 2010-09-15 08:09.

As much as we wanna believe the whole "Don't judge a book by it's cover" thing, it's really not true.  When you first meet someone, you're gonna judge them by how you see them first.  It's human nature.  Everyone thinks that the word "judging" is a bad thing, when they forget that there are good ways to judge people.  

I liked your post " As

Submitted by ctai on Thu, 2010-10-28 21:57.

I liked your post " As much as we wanna " because yes you do have a good point about the whole " don't judge a book by its cover thing " and how you think it is not really true, but sometimes people think it is true as well. You have to see it in a another person's perspective as well you know. Not just because you think it is not true, I understand it is your own opinions, and many people have their own opinions too but sometimes judging people by first impressions might not be a good thing either. Sometimes it is a good thing, like you mention sometimes there are good ways to judge people and there is, but sometimes there are bad ways as well.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is: "When you first meet someone, you're gonna judge them by how you see them first.  It's human nature. " I think this is <true> because everyone will always judge someone by just looking at them. I know everyone does, so it is common. People do judge people in bad ways and people do judge people in good ways as well, but first impressions are not always good as you can see. First impressions can also lead to false statements and stuff that may not be true. Well it is human nature, I can't deny that, but you have to know the fact of a good way of judging people and a bad way of judging people as well you know? It isn't always good to judge a person by first impressions. Get to know them first.

Another sentence that I disliked was : "Everyone thinks that the word "judging" is a bad thing, when they forget that there are good ways to judge people." This stood out for me because I understand what you are trying to say, but yeahs judging people can be a bad thing as well. You are just thinking about the fact of how people judge people in the good ways, people judge other in bad ways as well too you know. I don't think people forgot that there are good ways to judge people and there are plenty of good ways to judge people, but there are plenty of ways to judge people in a bad way as well.

I don't agree with you that people have forgotten that there are good ways of judging people as well. One reason I say this is because I don't think people have forgotten that there are good ways of judging people. Some people first impressions are different from each others. People are different in looking at different things, people have different perspectives. I understand that people always think judging people by first impressions are bad, but I think most of the time people do judge people in a bad way just because you look at that person, and that person looks bad in your eyes, doesn't mean that person is a bad person. To someone else's eyes that person may be nice. There are many different ways of looking at people.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I know that you have a good point of what you are trying to say, but I'm sure that you do disagree with what I say as well. I know that first impressions may not always be a good thing, but it might not be a bad thing as well. A lot of things do contradict with each other, but we all have to understand that in this world, everything is different. There are different people and different people see things a different way. 

Dear

Submitted by arosario on Wed, 2010-09-15 08:29.

Dear CTai

I enjoyed your post ,"Why do people judge other people by their first impressions," because I agree with what you people shouldnt be judging other people without knowing them .Only cause they look a certain way doeesnt really mean that they are like that.They should judge them after they know there personality cause then they I'll know how they really are .

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is"Not everyone is born the same, that is why it makes every one unique in their own way." I think this is great because is true we all aren't all the same we are all born different .Thats why we have are all unique cause we not alike. First impressions arent the best thing because you start thinking the wrong thing about others.You should just get to know a person before you starting saying things about them.

Another sentence that I liked was "Don’t just judge people by the way they look, judge them by their personality and the way they act towards one another" .This stood out for me because mostly everyone now at days mostly judge people by the way that the look and dress.

I do agree with you that first impressions arent the best thing to do. One reason I say this is because a person doesnt necessary acts the way they look .Another reason I agree is because you make a good point and that people mostly pay attention to the looks not the personality.

Thanks for your writing .I look foward to seeing what you write next time because you are specific and make good points .

I enjoyed reading your post,

Submitted by dbinyaminov on Wed, 2010-09-15 08:33.

I enjoyed reading your post, "why do people judge other people by first impressions?" because it shows how society is currently.  People always take one glance at a person and think they already know them when they obviously don't.  What they really need to do is to actually get to know the person before making any assumptions.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Don't judge a book by its cover."  I think this is a fantastic quote to put in to this topic.  Just as much as this quote relates to books, it relates to human beings as well.  People continuosly judge one another by first appearence.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me.  One time I had also been judged by my race.  There were many people in my junior high school that displayed an extreme hatred to jews and always picked on me.  This really shows how people can judge by first sight and not get to know the person first.

Thanks for your writing.  I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you showed how society judges people.  Your writing is interesting and factual and I really like your thoughts on this issue.

Many people are too

Submitted by ELashley on Thu, 2010-10-28 08:33.

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
ZH-CN
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Many people are too judgmental and I agree with you when you used the quote, "don't judge a book by its cover." It is truly upsetting when people judge my friends and me by how we act or look. Some situations can be that people are not in a good mood and don't want to talk to anyone or are just angry. Other times can be that they're sad and are suffering from depression. ARosario had made a post similar to yours and she even included a link to this post. Check it out when you get a chance because when people realize how hurtful they are when it comes to judging others, they might come to their senses and stop. No one should be in a position to judge others wrongfully....

CTai I think that judging

Submitted by ChrisB on Thu, 2010-11-18 12:01.

CTai I think that judging someone on first impreesions is bad but I also think that is something we all do. I think that the really horrible thing is when people stick to these impressions, even when a person has never acted the way they did when you first met them again. I know first impressions are bad but people who can pull them off have a really good talent. The people out there that just judge on these things will  like people who make good imprerssions. Also a lot of people you meet only once so they never have a chance to judge you on anything other than that, so first impression do matter but you have to know thatr isn't the whole person.

Dear ChrisB, I liked your

Submitted by ctai on Sun, 2010-12-05 13:22.

Dear ChrisB,

I liked your post "C Tai I think Judging" because you well explained your point about how people judge each other and their impressions on others as well. I know that judging people may not always be a bad thing, but it can be a good thing as well. People judge others in many different ways, sometime positive and sometimes negative, we never know unless they tell us what they really think of us. First impressions are something many people tend to do.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I think that the really horrible thing is when people stick to these impressions, even when a person has never acted the way they did when you first met them again." I think this is important becase there are a lot of people when they just meet someone they just start hating them right away. Why is that? The people should get to know them first and see what kind of person they really are. There are a lot of people who stick to their first impressions and later on won't change their opinions at all. Even if they think the person is mean and the person is really acting nice, they would just accuse the person of being what they really think that person is.

Another sentence that I enjoyed was: "The people out there that just judge on these things will  like people who make good imprerssions. Also a lot of people you meet only once so they never have a chance to judge you on anything other than that, so first impression do matter but you have to know thatr isn't the whole person." This stood out for me because of what you said about that first impression do matter but you havve to know that isnt the whole person and I do understand what you are trying to say. Well of course first impressions do matter, because everyone does it, even inlcuding myself, but I learned that first impressions aren't always right and they can be wrong as well. We, as people need to learn when is the right time to use first impressions.

I do agree with you that "I know first impressions are bad but people who can pull them off have a really good talent." One reason I say this is because there are a lot of talented people out there that has their own unique talents. First impressions are bad because they are using negative on people, but what I think is right is that people should confront the other people about what they think about them. If you want to say something just say it, dont talk about it behind's people backs.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you do have really great points and they are really supportive about what you really want to say as well. I want you to write more about first impressions and I am looking forward to your other works as well.

I really like your post and

Submitted by kwilliams2 on Sun, 2010-12-05 18:27.

I really like your post and I do agree with it. I never understood why people make snap judgements of others based on just a glance at them. In my opinion, you don't really get to know people that way, you just assume whatever you want based on a stereotype. I completely agree with when you said "...judge them by their personality and the way they act towards one another."

I also agree with "Not everyone is born the same, that is why it makes every one unique in their own way." This is completely true as well. Everyone being different makes the world such a better place. I would never want to even think about how annoyingly boring with world would be if everyone was the same. People should be celbrating these differences instead of shying away from them.

Dear KWilliams2 i liked your

Submitted by ctai on Sun, 2010-12-05 19:10.

Dear KWilliams2

i liked your post "i really like your post and" because of what you wrote about how you didnt really understand what first impression really meant before. i hope now you have a better understand about fist impressions due to the fact that people do it all the time. First impressions are not the best way to judge people, getting to know them is.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "In my opinion, you don't really get to know people that way, you just assume whatever you want based on a stereotype. I completely agree with when you said "...judge them by their personality and the way they act towards one another." i think this is important because people should really get to know one person before judging them on how they are. First impressions are really stereotypical and we need to understand that first impressions can hurt other people's feelings. Always judge people by their personalities because personalities are the most important traits in a person.

Another sentence that i liked was "Not everyone is born the same, that is why it makes every one unique in their own way." This is completely true as well. Everyone being different makes the world such a better place." This stood out for me because it is true that not everyone was born the same. Not everyone has the same parents as well and we are all borned differently for many different reasons. if everyone was born the same way, the world would be really boring. We need to get to know new people and interact with them as well.

i do agree with you that "people should be celebrating these differences instead of shying away from them." One reason i say this is because people should appreciate others for who they are. if they are different then okay, just let them be. Everyone acts in their own way and we should get to know them instead of just giving a really negative statement about them. We should celebrate these different unique talents that many people have.

Thanks for writing. i look forward to seeing what you write next because i see that you agree with me on a lot of things about first impressions. People shouldnt just judge others by looking at them, people should judge by getting to know them. these would create a more positve sight on others and people around them.