Why do some parents abuse their children?

by: 18fut

Child abuse which is the physical, sexual or emotional maltreatment or neglect of a child or children is a major problem in the US and all over the world. There are many types such as physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and child neglect. physical abuse is abuse that has physical contact with the victim such as punching, slapping, and may cause bruising or sometimes even bone fracturing. Sexual abuse is when a child is in which an adult or older adolescent abuses a child for sexual stimulation. About 25% of women in the US and 15% males have been sexually abused in their childhood. Emotional abuse is when a victim is mostly attacked verbally. They may get ridiculed or humiliated and seclude themselves from society. Sometimes, they may even blame themselves for it and cause victims to commit suicide. Child neglect is when a child isn’t getting the correct parentage and lacks attention from the people around them. Because a child is neglected, it may cause changes in their physical and emotional development. It may also change their ways of social life and/or memory.

Each year, about a million children are victims of child abuse. Because of this, they lack attention and that can affect a person’s behavior and health risks. The annual cost of child abuse and neglect was $103.8 billion in 2007. it can very well be prevented but it is still happening and the numbers may even be increasing.

The book A Child Called “It” shows Dave Pelzers own life experience with his child abuse. Dave had an alcoholic mother who would force him to do chores with time constraints. If Dave didn’t finish the chore on time, he would be starved. Even if he did happen to get some food by doing the chores on time, he only got the leftover from his brothers’ meals. He was the only one that got abused in the family. Even the father of the family couldn’t do anything to stop his wife’s abuse. It kept on getting worse and worse that Dave had to beg or steal food. He always got caught so it wasn’t exactly a great idea. He also got left out of family trips and had to sleep in the basement on an army coat. Eventually, the school noticed all of his scars from the physical abuse that he got from his mother every day and tried to deal with the problem once but didn’t succeed in stopping the abuse and it only got worse after that. Dave even got stabbed by his mother in the abdomen. This child abuse covers a wide variety like child labor, physical abuse, and Child neglect.

sites of info.
"Child Abuse." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 24 Nov. 2013. Web. 25 Nov. 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_abuse
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.192.2911&rep=re...
Pelzer, David J. A Child Called "it" ; And, The Lost Boy : One Child's Courage to Survive. Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, 1995. Print.

Dear, 18fut I am

Submitted by LovelyEBCHS on Thu, 2014-01-09 12:19.

Dear, 18fut
I am interested in your post “why do some parents abuse their children” Because a lot of teen are or have been abuse. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “There are many types such as physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and child neglect”. I think this is good that tell readers the type of abuses they have because some people may had been emotional abuse but think that because its not physical it’s not them being abuse. Another sentence that I was interesting was: "The annual cost of child abuse and neglect was $103.8 billion in 2007. " This stood out for me because I never even knew that. Your post reminds me of something that happened to my friend. One time her mom just started hitting her for every little thing she did wrong. She would cry and talk to her friends not knowing why her mom would keep hitting her like that. We try helping her out telling her to tell an adult about this but she refuse to. One day the mother beats her so hard she was sent to the emergency room. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

I was interested by your

Submitted by 16savinone on Thu, 2014-01-09 13:41.

I was interested by your topic not only because it caught my attention but because it is true, a pretty substantial amount of people have been abused as children. The amount is really surprising. I think that it is really sad that the victims of abuse don't feel accepted because of the treatment they received. We need to be able to communicate more with people who undergo things like this because I think it would be one way to approach the problem, it would have them know that they are not alone.

Helping Out

19rapiteanus's picture
Submitted by 19rapiteanus on Mon, 2014-02-24 18:24.

Everyday I see more and more commercials, ads, etc. about this topic on child abuse. Ever since I heard about this I wanted to learn more about this topic, your post told me all I needed to know. Alongside that idea, your post has made me want to help out when it comes to this cause. I've grown up in a nice environment with loving and caring parents/friends. I think that it's unfair that some kids are getting abused while I'm here getting everything I need. I'd like to thank you for this post, it has helped me think about the world in different ways.

Dear 19rapiteanus, I know

Submitted by 16savinone on Fri, 2014-04-11 00:03.

Dear 19rapiteanus,
I know what you mean, I have also seen a lot of commercials regarding child abuse and the effects it has on children. I think that a lot of people want to help these children, but sometimes people can have no idea of how to help these children. Not all children are willing to talk about their abuse other people and it makes it harder for them to be able to share with others or someone who can help.

Interesting

Submitted by natalie.pujols.np on Wed, 2014-03-19 11:28.

Dear Tony :

I am interesting by your post "Why do some parents abuse their children?" because it is a very touchy subject but it can be very important to talk about;being something that many sadly deal with.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Emotional abuse is when a victim is mostly attacked verbally. They may get ridiculed or humiliated and seclude themselves from society. Sometimes, they may even blame themselves for it and cause victims to commit suicide." I think this is very honest because it is very true and very wrong that it keeps on happening. Also this clearly shows how abuse has many forms.

Another sentence that I felt was so truthful and real was: "Child neglect is when a child isn’t getting the correct parentage and lacks attention from the people around them." This stood out for me because it shows neglecting a child's need is just as bad as abusing them, for the simple fact they aren't getting the love they need to feel important.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I saw two mothers with their kids. One was nice and kind looking while the other was rude or seem at least. While the one who look kind slap her son and the rude looking one told her to quit it and to learn how to be a parent.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you seem to speak of interesting topic and have great views on the, as well.

Interesting

Submitted by natalie.pujols.np on Wed, 2014-03-19 11:29.

Dear Tony :

I am interested by your post "Why do some parents abuse their children?" because it is a very touchy subject but it can be very important to talk about;being something that many sadly deal with.

FASCINATING

joshua.agyei's picture
Submitted by joshua.agyei on Thu, 2014-03-20 13:05.

Dear Tony:
I am intrigued by your post, "why do some parents abuse their children" because I want to know the reasons to why it happens. I am averse towards abusing a kid and would like to help someone if he/she encounters a situation like that. I feel confident and intrigued by it.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Each year, about a million children are victims of child abuse. Because of this, they lack attention and that can affect a person’s behavior and health risks." I think this is admirable because it is not that surprising due to problems a family has and what it does to a person so I understand.

Another sentence that I admired was: "If Dave didn't finish the chore on time, he would be starved. Even if he did happen to get some food by doing the chores on time, he only got the leftover from his brothers’ meals. He was the only one that got abused in the family." This stood out for me because sometimes family can mistreat or judge you , it is remarkable that the protagonist made it through those tough events in his life.

I do truthfully agree with you that the book covers a wide variety of abuse like child labor, physical abuse, and child neglect. One reason I say this is the child it was treated like nothing having to survive by what his mother told him and couldn't eat healthy and do chorus. Another reason I agree with you is the book has a high content in abuse showing favoritism and spoiled while the other does the heavy lifting and beaten for it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it moved my interest knowing the facts or opinion you had given. I look forward to reading more of your post because it will be in depth and maybe better than what this article was on. I believe that your ideas are fruitful to allow me to read more of it.