Why do Some People Believe They are Better Than Others?

by: harniy

Something that I’ve been interested in learning more about is why some people feel that they are better than others. I remember my best friend and I talking about it when we were younger. She had been upset, because another girl had told her that she was better than her, because she was prettier. I didn’t look into this any further at the time because I did not understand the complexity of the situation. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I’ve always questioned why some people felt superior towards towards others, and if they are better, what is it that makes them better? For example I’ve always questioned whether racism had fit into this issue. During the time of segregation, what did White people actually think of black people? Did they feel that they were unimportant, unintelligent, or perhaps intimidated by them? Even so, I believe that everyone is equal, and no one should feel that they are superior to anyone else. I’m positive that God made us all the same way, with the exception of a few small differences, like race, and language. Other than that, there is no reason for anybody to feel like they are better than anyone else.

One thing I know for sure about why some people believe that they are better than others is that it may be due to a condition called Superiority Complex. Based on (http://www.2knowmyself.com/inferiority_complex/superiority_complex), Superiority Complex is a type of complex that develops when a person who suffers from Inferiority Complex decides to act superior in order to mask his inferiority. A person who has Superiority Complex often claims to be better than, or more important than their peers. They also feel that their opinion is always right. I believe that people just choose to act this way. They may have something that they feel insecure about, or something they could be hiding. They just don’t want people to know about it, so they act like superior. Personally it’s funny to me because I didn’t know that the reason that the girl who made my friend feel bad so long ago, may have felt insecure or inferior herself. I believe that it’s only right to accept who you are, and not make others feel like nothing just because they do. As for the reasons as to why some people felt that they were superior to others, I had never given it much thought until recently. This was due to the fact that I was too young at the time to actually think beyond why that girl made my friend feel bad about herself. I know that even though a person may feel inferior on the inside, he or she acts arrogantly on the outside. I also know that there is a major difference between being highly confident, and thinking that you’re better than everybody. They may not want to see a psychiatrist, because they feel too superior for help, for example. This issue is not a major one, but it is for the ones who have to deal with it everyday.

Being that I didn’t have a lot of background information on why some people believe they are better than others, I chose to do some research on the topic. I searched for blogs and news articles on google, and I came across one article (http://lmg.letmeget.net/blog/superiority-complex-signs-symptoms). The article states that Superiority Complex is noticed because of a person’s attitude, character, and his or her opinion about themself. Superiority Complex may be deceived by arrogance, conceit, bragging, eccentric dressing, and much more. A contributor may be the mistakes that the parent may have made paradoxically or unconsciously out of love for their children. The statement,”In this condition, the patient possesses the fantasy and inattentiveness experiences that he is better than other individuals in content as a human being.” This statement didn’t surprise me much, but I did find the word fantasy interesting. A person with this condition is basically making up the whole thing in their head. They're not better than anyone else, they’re just imagining that they are. This does explain a lot, a person with this condition needs to learn to deal with reality, and stop dreaming.

In another article, (http://www.helium.com/items/1743641-superiority-vs-high-self-esteem), the statement,”A pshycoligical defense mechanism in which a person’s feelings of superiority counter or conceal his or her feelings of inferiorirty.” I agree with the author, because this is the main reason that people act like they are better than others. When you feel insecure about yourself you’ll try to masquerade those feelings by making others feel bad. In my opinion I believe that you shouldn't put others down because you have insecurities about yourself, it’s just wrong. Although it may not be easy, you just have to suck it up and accept who you are, because it’s not fair to make others suffer because of your own insecurities.

All of this makes me think that Superiority Complex needs a cure. I personally feel that hiding who you truly are, and acting arrogant is just a waste of time, and it’s just unintelligent. Making others feel like they’re worthless isn't going to solve the issue. I would suggest pushing past these feelings of greatness,and getting some psychological help. It’s just unfair to make others feel worthless, when that’s how you're actually feeling inside.