Why Do They Kill?

by: tdejonge

We are all familiar with the term serial killer; we hear the infamous household names like Ted Bundy or Jack the Ripper and a shiver runs down our back. Most of us are familiar with the disgusting crimes they committed, but do we ask why? Why did Ted Bundy rape and kill women? Why did Jack the Ripper slit the throats of his prostitute victims? The psychology behind these questions is a little more extensive than a simple answer of “they were just crazy...”

Serial killers are psychologically profiled by their choice of victims and modus operandi, which is then categorized by terms of mental, social, or personality disorders. These disorders include, but are not limited to: psychopathic or antisocial personality disorder, narcissism and sadism, bipolar disorder, and paranoia. Many serial killers are also sexually motivated. This motivation is most likely established at a young age and progresses along with violence and aggression, as they age. Each of these disorders defines how they kill and who they kill.

In my research paper, I plan to evolve on these psychological disorders and how they affected these monsters’ lives.

Taylor, I think this is such

Submitted by msprinkle on Thu, 2012-12-06 03:58.

Taylor, I think this is such a cool idea! It's really interesting to see all the different disorders and I think that will be an important topic to discuss in your research paper since it is the part less talked about. I get chills thinking about how many crazy people there are out there but I think you have picked a very interesting topic and I can't wait to hear more about all the interesting things that drive people to do such awful things. Good luck!

Dear Taylor I am interested

adot's picture
Submitted by adot on Tue, 2013-01-29 13:41.

Dear Taylor

I am interested in your post because I ask myself this question everyday. Two day ago one of my friends died at gunpoint . What made it worst was that I just finished speaking to him the day before. The killer was not yet found but hopefully the right thing happens . Your topic is mainly focused on serial killers but mines is just asking why do things like this happen, sometimes that all you need to say is why.

One sentence that stood out to me was “Most of us are familiar with the disgusting crimes they committed, but do we ask why? “ because sometimes asking why would get you more answer to those questions people never ask.

I'm learning more about what makes people kill others but it just doesn't make sense to me.