Why Jamia A. Hazel ?

by: EBCHS 18

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been violence in my community.  I remember my best friend and I talking about it recently, but I was talking about my cousin Jamia.  Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that there are horrible people in the world. From what I have heard, the number of murders each year has decreased and increased. For example, I heard that crime rates actually have gone down. Now that's just what I've heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about the crime rate is that it went up to 10.2 before. Now I've studied my share of crimes and abuses. I believe things like drug and abuse is based on what you want to do. Personally, it's funny to me how a lot of people always say I grew up with “my momma doing drugs and my daddy beating her”.The way my cousin died was something crazy to me. My 17-year old cousin Jamia Hazel was stabbed to death and dumped in a Bronx alleyway found on the side of 1695 Walton Ave in Mount Eden wrapped in plastic garbage bags. Darrell Spencer had help from his girlfriend 21-year-old Erena Willis. Later she then snitched and made a deal with the police to get off the hook some.

Being that I do have a lot of background information on my cousin murder, I chose to do some more research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across a few articles: http://justice4caylee.forumotion.net/murdered-children-f38/jamia-hazel-17-yo-new-york-ny-t3224.htm This article provided a lot of information and opinions on her murder. Some people felt that her murder was a tragedy. They we’re hurt and couldn’t believe it really happened. "She was just the type of girl who would do whatever she wanted to do”. This statement didn't really surprise me all that much, but it did make me feel sad. I was sad when I read that because everyone see her in a bad way. A lot of people didn’t know what she had been through her in the 17 years she was walking on this earth. It also made me sad because they said she was a “runaway teen” but when she left her foster mother house she went to the one person who took care of her and that was her mother’s boyfriend. He made sure she had the things she wanted and needed when she came around.

In another article, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/09/08/2009-09-08_dead_teen_found_stabbed_to_death_in_bronx_alley_identified_as_runaway_jamia_haze.html#ixzz1862bDoA9 there was this one statement that made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: “She wanted to get her GED and then attend college to become an anesthesiologist”
This is so true, because she always talked about it when she came to my house and that was like 3 or more times a week. She was going to have a baby brother and wanted him to have a better life then hers. She wanted to show people she could do it by getting in a school and getting a job. When my cousin attended these things I hardly saw her.

All of this makes me think that some people just want to talk bad about her. Some people want attention and Darrell Spencer was one. He now will rot in HELL for what he did. In one podcast, The news Report: .  there was this one statement that made shake my head in disagreement with the speaker. It was: “She was a runaway teen” This is so untrue, because she never ran away from no where. If she was a runaway she would’ve ran away from her problems a long time ago, I mean after all she went through I probably would’ve ran away but she didn’t. If anything if you Knew Mia she ran to her problems all the time if she had to she would fight her way through. She never gave up, and the way her foster mother talked about her was a shame. Going to foster care at the age of 17 was her idea, She thought hings would be different but they really wasn’t.

Darrell Spencer is the person who murdered my Cousin Jamia Hazel

Jamia A. Hazel

I was so sorry to hear about

Submitted by mrscarter on Tue, 2010-12-21 09:15.

I was so sorry to hear about your cousin Jamia Hazel.  I was touched when I read the part about how her foster mother treated her.  I have been a foster mom since 1982 and I would never have treated your cousin that way.  I considered myself blessed to have God allow me to raise these beautiful foster children full of hope and wonder of the world.  I also adopted some children and each one is successful, one is now a nurses tech, another U. S. Air Force recuit and my baby daughter is soon to be High School graduate from the Mary Louis  Academy with honors!  So I guess I just wanted you to know that even tho there are some pretty horrible stories out there and I really first hand feel for you, some foster parents are loving and caring. This ones heart goes out to you and your family. 

I'm sorry about

Submitted by mbalanza on Sun, 2011-01-23 02:07.

I'm sorry about this sad news about cousin Jamia. I was struck upon reading the whole article and I know exactly how it feels to lose someone very close to your heart. However, I would like to commend your strength to narrate the whole thing to us readers and discuss those encounters that had happened in the incident.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "My 17-year-old cousin Jamia Hazel was stabbed to death and dumped in Bronx alleyway found on the side of 16-95 Walton Ave. in Mount Eden wrapped in plastic garbage bags." This stood out for me because I could easily sensed your mixed emotions while reading that particular sentence. I know it's not easy for you to identify to the readers the exact incident but you were able to do so. Again, I admire you for that.

I do agree with you that the number of murders each year had been increasing every single year. No certain age: young, adults, teenagers.. it really is alarming to begin with. All we could ever do for ourselves is to be conscious of our surroundings and cautious at the same time.

Dear EBCHS 18 , : I feel

Submitted by SFootman on Mon, 2011-01-24 14:20.

Dear EBCHS 18 , :

I feel blessed to have read your post, "Why Jamla A.Hazel?," because It really touched me how brave and strong you are for talking about this, and sharing it with the people here on youth voices.It pains me to know that somebody can just brutally murder somebody,and feel no resentment, and people like Darrell Spencer, scare me.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: " I came across a few articles: http://justice4caylee.forumotion.net/murdered-children-f38/jamia-hazel-1... This article provided a lot of information and opinions on her murder. Some people felt that her murder was a tragedy. " This was informative because it let me dig deeper into your situation. It just plain unfair how somebody can just end someone else's life, and not even care about what their doing or care about the victims.

Another sentence that I was interested in was: "“She was a runaway teen” This is so untrue, because she never ran away from no where. If she was a runaway she would’ve ran away from her problems a long time ago, I mean after all she went through I probably would’ve ran away but she didn’t. ." This stood out for me because the media always distorts the truth and it makes me wonder if a lot of things i hear in the news, is true or not.

Your post really touched me,and I'm so very sorry for your lost, and I hope you have the strength to carry on.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

Thank u so much for this

Submitted by Dwana on Thu, 2012-03-08 16:54.

Thank u so much for this article.. Jamia and I went to school together (57) and her and I was very close friends. I remember how she would come to my house in the morning so we would walk to school together. I was so upset about this I missed the funeral and everything but most of all I miss her.. There's not a day that doesn't go by that I don't think about her, this dude have no heart he has no soul and I don't have a heaven nor hell to put him in but I will say this God will punish him for what he's done and I pray that every night from that day for the rest of his life he lose sleep and keep reminiscing on what happen that day I pray it haunts him because it was wrong. I don't know the full details of why he did what he did but he shouldn't have done it if u ain't want to be bothered or was just mad then walk away... Smh I pray he rots in jail to the fullness

Change of heart?

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 2013-07-15 02:38.

I have been following this case off and on and although there was a conviction it seems to me like the girlfriend (erena) did this and not darrell especially after her conflicting testimony she gave on the stand. Do you truly still believe that he did this after everything that came out in court? Seems to me they focused in on the wrong person and that erena girl is walking the streets free to kill again. I also heard that Jamia's family believes he is Innocent now. Very sad. Very tragic.