Why people don't recycle?

by: bfall

Why people don’t recycle?

I almost always recycle. The exception is jars that I would have to use an enormous amount of water to wash (like plastic peanut butter containers). Our recyclables have to be clean because the bins our city provides are open. One of my neighbors doesn't recycle; she doesn't appear lazy, but she is a new mother and works nights.

Recyclable materials include many kinds of glass, paper, metal, plastic, textiles, and electronics. Although similar in effect, the composting or other reuse of biodegradable waste such as food or garden waste – is not typically considered recycling. Materials to be recycled are either brought to a collection center or picked up from the curbside, then sorted, cleaned, and reprocessed into new materials bound for manufacturing.

I am learning more about recycle right now, and in particular what I’m wondering about is: Why people don't recycle? I was researching this question online. And this article caught my attention because it's talk about how supermarkets have big responsibilities on this.
"Of course it would be easy for stores to claim that in a recession they have had to put eco friendly measures on hold to prevent passing costs on to consumers. As the Consumer Focus survey shows, however, more than half of shoppers are actively purchasing more environmentally responsible goods than they were two years ago. Over 70per cent say they want help from their supermarkets in making better-informed choices."

I'm learning more about blue bands right now, and particular what I'm wondering about is: why people don't recycle? I was researching this question online and this blog post caught my attention because it says that you really don't have to troy things in the blue bands, but you can make that to fun craft."Instead of tossing all of your recyclable material into your blue box, you can use them as craft supplies instead. Items like toilet paper tubes, greeting cards and even egg cartons can be turned into fun craft projects for the whole family"

Students encouraged reusing books: Dept saves millions on school textbooks. The trend among schoolchildren to reuse school textbooks has enabled the Education Ministry to save Rs. 1,000 million from the allocation made for printing school textbooks next year, Education Publications Commissioner N. M. J. Pushpakumara told the Daily News yesterday.

I am learning more about reuse right now, and in particular what I'm wondering about is: why people don't recycle? I was researching this question online, and this news item caught my attention because it talks about how people can reuse paper by making so many things with it. Paper is often wasted. Maybe you use both sides of a sheet of paper, use the backs of your mail envelopes for grocery lists or reuse newspaper to wrap gifts. All are good ways to waste less paper. Many households put their mail and paper through a shredder to protect against identity theft or to follow state and federal laws. An average home can accumulate quite a bit. In some areas, it's not accepted in curbside recycling. So what do you do with the shredded paper?

Specifically, critics argue that the costs and energy used in collection and transportation detract from (and outweigh) the costs and energy saved in the production process; also that the jobs produced by the recycling industry can be a poor trade for the jobs lost in logging, mining, and other industries associated with virgin production; and that materials such as paper pulp can only be recycled a few times before material degradation prevents further recycling. Proponents of recycling dispute each of these claims, and the validity of arguments from both sides has led to enduring controversy.

Aluminum is easiest to recycle. More than 95% of all canned drinks are sold in aluminum cans. Old aluminum cans can be used for new. Aluminum cans are made from an ore called bauxite. The USA imports it from other countries. It costs a lot of money, and takes a lot of energy to process aluminum from bauxite. That energy is also expensive. When aluminum is recycled is saves 95 percent of that energy. Recycling centers pay millions of dollars to adults and children for collecting aluminum cans and other aluminum products. Aluminum can be used over again and again. Aluminum can be used for anything from little league baseball bats to space vehicles. Aluminum is light weight and durable. Aluminum can make airplanes, trucks, trains, cars, skyscrapers, and it is important in building ships.

In pre-industrial times, there is evidence of scrap bronze and other metals being collected in Europe and melted down for perpetual reuse.[4] In Britain dust and ash from wood and coal fires was collected by 'dustmen' and down cycled as a base material used in brick making. The main driver for these types of recycling was the economic advantage of obtaining recycled feedstock instead of acquiring virgin material, as well as a lack of public waste removal in ever more densely populated areas.[3] In 1813, Benjamin Law developed the process of turning rags into 'shoddy' and 'mongo' wool in Barley, Yorkshire. This material combined recycled fibers with virgin wool. The West Yorkshire shoddy industry in towns such as Barley and Dewsbury lasted from the early 19c to at least the First World War.

Recycling has been a common practice for most of human history, with recorded advocates as far back as Plato in 400 BC. During periods when resources were scarce, archaeological studies of ancient waste dumps show less household waste (such as ash, broken tools and pottery)—implying more waste was being recycled in the absence of new material.[

“We have barely started to recycle in this country, supposedly the richest, most advanced society in the world today. Almost no restaurants, supermarkets, hospitals, nor schools recycle. The majority of plastic, glass, and metal containers--especially the large ones that could easily be recycled are just thrown away like trash in almost all restaurants, supermarkets, and public facilities such as hospitals, courthouses, and schools. It is a shame. I bet if we had more recycling bins in public areas, such as shopping centers, and schools, we would all be much more aware of the environment and "going green". If hospitals can separate out biohazard us garbage, can't they also separate out the paper and plastic? If we want to educate our children, shouldn't we start with our adult population, in their workplaces? Many small private offices regularly shred their paper garbage in order to recycle it; shouldn't courthouses, libraries, and schools do the same? It really doesn't seem to be an important value in our society if our public facilities, i.e., schools, libraries, courthouses and hospitals, don't even have recycling bins. It upsets me to see the amount of recyclable containers just thrown away like trash behind every restaurant. It shows a shamefully wasteful attitude.” From Oprah worker

I don't know why commercial facilities don't recycle.

The key to getting people to recycle is to make it convenient for them.

Putting large recycle containers at schools, grocery stores, churches. Giving the homeowners tools to properly collect the recyclables. For example; we live in Oklahoma. Our recycle bins are small, and without a lid. It is super windy here. Seems, I am consistently chasing my recycling down the street. I finally started using a Rubbermaid tub with a lid for my paper. The tubs are small and are not adequate for serious recycling, imo.

I have thought a lot about how to help others learn & be aware of the importance of recycling. I really believe, it must start with the children. We need to get into the schools and discuss the importance of recycling.

Recycling cell phones is important because it reduces the amounts of metals and plastics that must be manufactured in the plants that make these devices. It can also lower greenhouse emissions, not to mention that recycled cell phones can be used to help those who are less fortunate. Most people don't recycle their cell phones because they just aren't aware that they can. You can inform people that this is possible and get them recycling their old cell phones in no time.

Recycling is sort of like exercising: we all know we should do it, but not all of us do it as often as we should—and some of us don’t do it at all. However, there are lots of reasons why you should make an effort to recycle as much as possible. If you haven’t been diligent about recycling your garbage, here are seven good reasons why you should start.

I am learning more about recycle right now, and in particular what I 'm wondering about is: Why people don't like to recycle? I was researching this question online, and this poem caught my attention because I really like it.

"Please Recycle
by Erin Michele Pacey

Please recycle the love that we share...
Please recycle the time that we spend together...
Please recycle our freedom...
Please recycle our friendship...
Please recycle my life...
Please recycle yourself...
Please recycle me...
Please recycle us."

The poem I chose here is basically saying that we should recycle if we want our life to be great.
I think this is strong Please because.....It makes me wonder that why do we have to beg for people to do there well.

I really do not get why people do not like to recycle. You know what I going to give an example, I am going to go to those recycle machine and recycle cans and plastic bottles it's fun doing it I get 5cent per can. That is fun, you watch the can getting transform now that's coooooooooool.

People please recycle, save our world for our children, grand-children, our family, our names...

People we can do this thing we can save the world, our world. Let me tell you something recycles are a law.