Why Is Religion so Important?

by: dandan
Chapel by Zachary LeMon a Youth Voices pool photographer on Flickr.

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been religion. I remember my uncle discussing about the importance of a person being faithful to his religion, and at that time I really didn’t argue or discuss with him about religion so I just dropped the topic. Lately, the issue has caught more eye again. I know that many people feel that religion is just not important is just something that you are raised and born into believing. From what I have heard, religion has caused many problems between countries and people. For example, I heard that the crusades during time of the Roman Empire was mainly caused by religion.

One thing that I know for sure about religion is that there are many types of religions all over the world. Now, I’ve studied my fair share of religion and I believe religion has its goods and its bads. The reason why I say this is because religion may bring a person from a sad mood to a happy mood it may also change a person’s life from worse to good, but may also be bad because of the controversies between different religions, and whose religion’s history is valid. Personally, it’s funny to me how people could criticize other religions’ validness while they don’t know if for sure their religion’s history is truly valid.

Religion was not very important to me in the past because I thought religion is just believing in a God and believing that my God is the Saviour of the world.

Being that I didn’t have a lot of background information on religion, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one blog: “Why religion is so important in our lives” http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1230321 .

This blog provided a lot of information and opinions on religion. Some people felt that religion was the key element to running countries and societies. “These days the amount of faith a person has, in his own religion, has led to inhuman behavior, to help hypocrites utilize it to make money and to be in power.” This statement didn’t really surprise me all that much, but it did make me feel sad. It made me sad because I believe this statement is true because when a person has little faith in his own religion, that person tries everything in his power to exploit his own religion to make money and to become famous.

In another article there was this one statement that made me nod my head in agreement with Ajay Bhatt. It was “Religion can help youth generation to become moral, disciplined and socialized citizens of society.” This is so true because I think if religion is applied to every youth’s life there will be more kids finishing school, and more kids getting out of trouble with the cops.

All of this makes me think that religion is important because people could rely on it when they are feeling down, religion can also help turn a person from doing bad into doing something that will benefit him or herself in the future.

Dear Daniel I liked your

Submitted by rivoma on Sun, 2012-03-25 10:42.

Dear Daniel

I liked your post “ Why is religion so important?” I liked your post because religion has also been a topic that has caught my eye. Religion is something very complicated at least for me. There are so many religious faiths in this world that it’s hard to believe which one is real. Every religion seems to have its own story and to be honest some of those stories are too out of this world. one sentence that stood out to me was“Religion can help youth generation to become moral, disciplined and socialized citizens of society.” I agree with this statement because it can change a person’s view of life and how they behave. Your post reminds me of how my mom always told to love the lord and to believe in him because he is always watching. That creeped me out a lot.
I liked your post and I hope you make more posts like this.

I too ponder the meaning of religion

Submitted by d.gaztambide on Fri, 2012-04-13 07:52.

Daniel,

I really liked this post because I, too, have spent a lot of time pondering the meaning of religion and how it affects societies. I really liked how you started out by saying that you have noticed how religion can have great benefits, but it also can and has caused great suffering. I don't think that you can see religion as black and white. You cannot see it as either bad or good. Personally, I look first to the kind of person someone is, no matter their religion. I think this is the best way to go because it really is the only thing that matters. If religion has caused someone to be judgmental, defensive, and angry then I don't think it is serving its purpose. I don't think this is a fault of religion, I think it is a fault of mankind. A person may use religion as a mentor to become a better person, but I don't think it is required to make good people. Good people are products of how they live their lives. I believe this is the bottom line.

Thanks for the post I think you are tackling an issue that so many people have pondered over for centuries. It definitely made me think!

Dear Daniel, I really liked

Submitted by bball_princess11 on Mon, 2012-04-16 10:39.

Dear Daniel,

I really liked the way you approached the subject. Religion can often be the center of controversy, as you mentioned, consequently it's hard to really write about it without offending someone. I liked that you looked at all aspects, including the fact that religion has been at the center of many major wars, but it also helps many people get through life. The research you did really strengthened your argument. Great post, and I hope to read more soon!

Dear Daniel, I am very moved

Submitted by prampersaud on Mon, 2013-07-22 12:51.

Dear Daniel,

I am very moved by your writing, about your post, " Why is religion important?" Because You actually did a great job in explaining how religion can help a person. I have also noticed that you listed the pros and cons for religion. For Instance, religion can cause wars.

One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me was, " Religion can help youth generation to become moral, disciplined and socialized citizens of society.” In my opinion I think this is true. Because a persons religion or belief system plays the role of a guide to a persons life. This guide, which may be religion, helps people to make moral and ethical decisions.

I am learning more about Decisions based on beliefs, right now, and in particular what I am wondering about is, " How does our decisions reflect who we are?" I was searching online and this article , " Horizon of Faith,"caught my attention. I found this interesting because, the author, Paul Fitzgerald, went in depth into what causes us to make the decisions we make, and hoe can we improve them. The author also talked a lot about his religion which was , Roman Catholic.

I am very interested

Submitted by morellana on Tue, 2013-07-23 09:43.

Dear Daniel
I am very interested in one of your statements, “Religion can help youth generation to become moral, disciplined and socialized citizens of society.” First of all if you need a punishment like hell or heaven in order to be moral then there is something wrong. Morality comes from with in us, the right thing to do. And following religion for morality, whether it's the new or the last testament it's not the right thing to do as well. And yes the bible has some good verses that reflect how we should threat one another. But we can't just cherry pick some of them and say that, that is religion. Now if you believe in stoning woman, and youth marriage then that's not very moral, things that are still happening around the world today, and religion is just an excuse for breaking human rights. So if you want to talk about a better future take for example Adolf Hitler as he himself stated, "Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." Something else I see as an issue with religion is the indoctrination of children. Because no child is born christian, catholic, Jew, or Muslim, religion is something that is placed in them, without them knowing, without them have an idea of what that is. And the same thing can be said about racism, one is not born racist, one is taught those things by our parents and the parents of our parents. I do believe is freedom of believe but what happens when freedoms are being denied because of an invisible man in the sky? What gives you the right to do that? Like same-sex marriage that many religious fanatics despised and now it became a reality. Because it was the moral thing to do, not thanks to religion, but thanks to those who did the right thing. So I desagree with your article, but I do admire the fact that you look at both sides of religion...some what... But next time you should do more research before telling people to believ in religion in order to be moral.

Is religion can cause wars!

Submitted by Mr Ed on Mon, 2013-11-25 01:31.

Nice article ...

The statement "religion can cause wars" is true if that religion teaches that.

We all know that corrupt politicans and leaders used religion beside other things to gain power/money/land/women etc.

We have to read and understand what each religion teaches.

I am as a Christian from Middle East follow Jesus Christ who healed the blind, the lame, the lepers, and deaf.

Jesus never entertained an evil thought, he practiced no deceit, had no selfish desires, engaged in no false

pretenses, harmed no one and voiced no guile or hatred, even to those who maligned and mistreated him.

Jesus' unique and exemplary life, and his suffering, death, and physical resurrection from the dead

transformed His handpicked disciples as well as the lives of many others. As Jesus once said

"I came that you may have life, and have it abundantly"

The lives that he transformed in turn changed and transformed much of the world (its morals, ethics, health

care, education, economics, science, law, the fine arts.

I agree with some of these

Submitted by hsulayman on Wed, 2014-07-23 11:28.

i am amazed by your post "why is religion so important" because this is really thoughtful and some of what you said really made sense because religion does help you make good choices in life. I disagree with the fact that religion makes you take power. People make their own decisions and what a person chooses to do should be based on them, not their religion.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is ''religion may bring a person from a sad mood to a happy mood it may also change a person’s life from worse to good'' because this is true.

Another sentence that I thought was important was “Religion can help youth generation to become moral, disciplined and socialized citizens of society.” This stood out for me because this is true

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. Sometimes its hard to explain to people that God exists but i believe and its gets me through everyday life

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because religion is a very important topic where people have different thoughts on it.

Nice writing

Submitted by jdiaz on Wed, 2014-07-23 11:11.

I really liked your post "Why Is Religion so important" because I am actually doing a project on religion and while I was reading this some things actually stood out to me and help me make connections to my projects idea. Also, while Although, I didn't fully agree with somethings you said but it was good.

One sentence you wrote that stood out for me is when you said "Personally, it’s funny to me how people could criticize other religions’ validness while they don’t know if for sure their religion’s history is truly valid." I say this because this sentence is really relatable. I feel the same way. People judge others because of their religion but there is no real reason to criticize others because of religion.

One sentence that I also think is valid is when you said "now, I’ve studied my fair share of religion and I believe religion has its goods and its bads." This is so true, most people think that religion is only good, but in a way it is also bad because it separates people into sub units.

Your article reminds me of the article i was staring to write. I was also talking about how religion separates people and how religion is a good thing but it has it down side also.

Thanks for writing this article because it gave me some ideas and gave me something to relate to since i'm talking about the same thing and the same topic!