Why we did nothing about Newtown

by: 18wongj
NewTown. Kids died. Want guns?

Its been more than a year since New Town. Politicians have said they will pass gun laws and bla..bla..bla. People have cried. But they've done nothing except encourage gun violence.

Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster in his school shooting. Rather than people boycotting guns or even that particular gun, Bushmaster sales surged and gained. That's why we need gun control in at least urban areas. Opponents of gun control will say that if everybody has a gun than you can defend yourself. This is not true.

First of all you are 450% more likely to be shot if you have a gun. Secondly, People cannot learn how to use a gun and then when the situation happens, magically shoot the guy like in movies. That is so distorted especially given the fact that even some cops have a hard time using a gun and make mistakes after years of training. They suffer nervous breakdowns or become shocked.

Most guns bought that do see action are rather used for teen suicides instead of protecting yourself or a loved one. I do in fact acknowledge and understand how if you are in rural areas then you can't get help easily. But in urban areas guns really aren't needed. You have the police and security guards. Opponents raise another argument that of which the NRA is in support of.

In the aftermath of New Town The NRA oddly enough said that teachers should be trained with guns so that they could protect the children. What if one of them instead shoots the person? Besides what if the teacher accidentally left it somewhere and a little kindergartner or first grader picked it up and fired it. What then? If we know you can't fight fire with fire how are you going to fight guns with guns? This argument of using guns to fight guns is a hypocritical way for gun companies to confuse you (This is what I believe).

Note: I will respond to any comment and refute any opposing arguments.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/18/16570552-gun-stores-running-l...
Crocodoc version: http://personal.crocodoc.com/17YgMF5
http://www.examiner.com/article/possessing-a-gun-makes-you-less-safe-not... Crocodoc version: http://personal.crocodoc.com/NE86ZAe

Dear Jonathan, Your title,

amberly.798's picture
Submitted by amberly.798 on Thu, 2014-03-06 12:34.

Dear Jonathan,
Your title, "Why We Did Nothing About Newtown" caught my attention because Newtown has had several tragedies occur. I am surprised that after all this time nothing has been done with gun control. People will always find a way to get what they want, such as guns. Everything will change if gun laws were passed because there will be a limitation to the purchase of guns, and it will become more difficult for people to get it in their possession.

One statement you said that really caught my attention was, "Opponents of gun control will say that if everybody has a gun than you can defend yourself. This is not true." I completely agree with you because that argument is very weak, and I believe that it is used as an excuse to permit the purchase of guns. It is rare when guns are used as protection because the guns are the ones that cause the danger. Many people cannot control their anger, and if the guns were in their possessions it is guaranteed that they will use it.

Another statement that was intriguing was, "Secondly, People cannot learn how to use a gun and then when the situation happens, magically shoot the guy like in movies." There have been many incidents where children find a gun in there home and they do not know how to use it, and they end up shooting themselves or a friend. Teachers should not have guns because like I said before, the children could see it as a toy and cause the death of one of their classmates.

Thank you for writing. It was really intriguing and informative. I hope to read more of your post.

What really happened with Gun Reform

Mr. Jacobs's picture
Submitted by Mr. Jacobs on Sun, 2014-03-09 19:06.

I watched as the parents of so many communities came together to change gun laws after Newtown, but it all failed.

The one thing almost everyone in the country agreed on was background checks. This means before you can buy a gun, we make sure you are not a convicted criminal, a terrorist, or someone with a mental disorder.

The NRA (National Rifle Association) is an organization that fights against laws like this because they think guns are the answer, not the problem. When Newtown happened, they said it was because there were not enough guns - that there could have been armed workers or teachers there who could have stopped Adam Lanza in a shoot out.

But when the gun control law for background checks was voted on, it died in the US Senate. Even though 90% of Americans wanted it, most US senators opposed the bill. This shows they are not in tune with the people.

Thank you

18wongj's picture
Submitted by 18wongj on Fri, 2014-04-11 16:01.

One thing: The NRA doesn't do it because they think it is the answer, but rather need to defend guns because it is their profit.
http://www.thenation.com/blog/171776/does-nra-represent-gun-manufacturer...

What really happened with Gun Reform

Mr. Jacobs's picture
Submitted by Mr. Jacobs on Sun, 2014-03-09 19:07.

How Gun Control has been changed

Submitted by Eperez on Thu, 2014-03-13 14:43.

First of all if you auther of this article that I strongly disagree upon your concept like your other previous commentaries have put up, but as for me I just want to statev out my own opinion if you want to do a debate then fine. 

Anyhow to continue I would like to say on my own personal background that I know very few school teachers here in California that would actually carry a gun in thier own classroom.

To be continue..................

Are you so sure?

18wongj's picture
Submitted by 18wongj on Fri, 2014-04-11 15:57.

You want a debate? Fine. I'll try to prove you wrong. First I'll start with news articles.
Link here for the first: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/us/guns-at-school-if-theres-a-will-the... . Yup. Even a kindergartener teacher is carrying a gun.