Will the Sun Power Your Future?

by: kstryker

I just read a Wikipedia article, " Solar Power" ("Solar Power" Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 10 Mar 2016, 7:03 UTC, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power). This article was very informative because it covered everything from the technology to the economics of solar power. Solar power is the conversion of the sun's energy into electricity.

One quote that stands out for me is, " it cost $96 per watt for a solar module in the mid-1970s. Process improvements and a very large boost in production have brought that figure down 99 percent, to 68¢ per watt today." This is significant because it shows that solar powered electricity is a more affordable option today than ever. It is predicted that by 2050 solar will be the world's largest source of electricity.

In another article I found more evidence that solar is becoming a popular source of electricity. In "Whole Foods Plans 100 Rooftop Solar Systems", (Cardwell, Dianne, March 8, 2016, "Whole Foods Plans 100 Rooftop Solar Systems", New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/business/energy-environment/whole-food...), the author says it is for both keeping with its image as well as to save money that Whole Foods will build the new solar systems. Either way, the grocery store may just be the first of many to go in the direction of roof top solar.

Another quote that I found interesting in the Wikipedia article is, " BP Solar owns two factories built by Solarex in which all of the energy used to manufacture solar panels is produced by solar panels." This is important because one criticism of solar power is that it requires a lot of energy to manufacture solar panels. Critics say that the manufacturing of solar panels actually contributes more to greenhouse gases than other forms of electricity. However, if solar itself is used in the process of manufacturing panels, then no greenhouse gasses are produced.

What I learned from this article is that solar power is likely to be a more common energy source in the future. One of the issues in the past was the cost of solar but it is becoming more and more affordable. A question I have based on my research so far is how does solar compare to other sources of renewable energy?

I liked how well you used

Submitted by MPShirzu on Sun, 2016-03-20 12:46.

I liked how well you used evidence to support your claim. I also think that it's a good idea to utilize this ever-present source of energy. As you stated, it would be beneficial not only to us, but our wallets as well. The paper had a very nice use of wordage and sentence structure.

It was interesting that how

Submitted by tlarson07 on Sun, 2016-03-20 18:14.

It was interesting that how much the cost of solar has decreased over time. It would be valuable to look into how solar production and actually using solar power costs in relation to our wallets and the environment. If you look at the entire scope of the issue you can get a broader view for what is going on. Awesome question at the end, that looks like it will lead you down an interesting path!

It was interesting that how

Submitted by tlarson07 on Sun, 2016-03-20 18:13.

It was interesting that how much the cost of solar has decreased over time. It would be interesting to look into how solar production and actually using solar power costs in relation to our wallets and the environment. If you look at the entire scope of the issue you can get a broader view for what is going on. Awesome question at the end, that looks like it will lead you down an interesting path!

I found this all to be very

Submitted by mjrougelot on Sun, 2016-03-20 18:35.

I found this all to be very interesting and would like to learn more about the topic. You used lots of supporting evidence and sited your sources. Your evidence was very specific and helps readers to further understand your topic. Nice work!

Great article!

Submitted by dominiquebird on Sun, 2016-03-20 20:39.

I really loved this discussion. It was well written and coherent, I found it easy to follow and very informative. When you posed the question of how solar compares with other forms of natural energy, I was intrigued and now I hope you follow up on that question because I would like to know what will be most efficient in the future. Another thing I thought was well done in this piece is how well supported your points are, it makes your examples stronger :)

Great job!

Submitted by PalakJ on Tue, 2016-04-19 14:51.

You did a great job analyzing this article! I like that you used quotes from the articles and added analysis of these quotes. I also like that you asked a question in your conclusion because it means that you need to do further research.

Well Written and Cool Topic

Submitted by alecmalouf on Sat, 2016-04-30 17:29.

This discussion is really well written, and I also really like the topic you covered! It's especially interesting to me that the price of using solar energy has gone down so much, and it never really crossed my mind to use solar panels to make the energy to create more solar panels. I am also wondering how solar energy does actually compare to other forms of renewable energy as well after reading your research! Great job overall!