Different Types of English

by: kruss

I have many different ways I speak. All of them are English but not exactly the same type. For example I talk the way I talk with my mother but then a different more proper or academic type of English with larger SAT words and such. Then there’s the way you talk to strangers and then your friends and also not forgetting that special someone.

I personally have never had one but I know that you do develop a certain way to talk to someone when you’re on that intimate of a level with them. These different Englishes have a specific time and a specific place they are spoken. But what happens when you speak a different English in the wrong place?

I took that question and did an experiment that consisted of me tweeting for a couple days in a more proper way. I usually use texting language and many shortened versions of words. But this week I tweeted in an academic way and got a funny sort of reaction from my sister.

When I was talking to my sister in FaceTime the other day she asked me, while in a conversation about our social medias, about the new way I was talking. I told her it was an experiment for English class but she called it weird none the less and actually told me to stop. Whenever I use more mentally stimulating words and phrases she gets kind of mad at me actually. I told I would stop at the end of the week because that’s when I would be reporting back on the experience and the reactions of those who follow me.

I felt this was a very interesting assignment because of what my sister said to me. I never thought that she would actually bring it up in conversation but she did and that made this interaction on the more intriguing. I have concluded from this assignment that there are very specific social constructs around how you talk with certain people. If I were to talk to my grandmother the way i talk to my best friend I would probably get scolded about “improper” grammar and things of that nature. I will most likely now be very careful about when I code switch and make sure it’s the right one.

Nice experiment

Submitted by henrypotter on Fri, 2015-09-25 11:32.

It's funny that your sister actually told you to stop! What kind of diction did you use? Was it completely over the top fancy-lad speech or was it only a little more "educated" sounding? I feel like there is certainly a point where no one, no matter their status, would want to hear you talk if you sounded too highfalutin!

Nice experiment

Interesting Topic

Submitted by ciarran on Fri, 2015-10-02 15:11.

I like the topic of your essay. It was something I never realized I did to my family, friends, and other people. The experiment you did was fascinating. However, I think if you went into a little more depth about the reaction and possible reason for that reaction it would create a stronger essay, Otherwise it was a good essay.

I enjoyed reading this assignment

Submitted by lmiller on Fri, 2015-10-09 12:51.

I really enjoyed reading your assignment. I also talk differently with my mom and friends. When I talk to my mom, I use "real" words and when i'm talking to my friends, I talk in slang and curse, A lot.

interesting expirement

Submitted by cniegos on Fri, 2015-10-09 20:29.

I like how you use words, so articulate. I have a sister too and if I did the same thing, she might react the same way you did to your sister. Code switching is really important that we used in our daily life. Good job on your piece, love it!